Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Seriously? For the past 2-3 years at least, I've been hearing a substantial amount of Jets fans bashing Schotty mercilessly. This fanbase has not given him four years. Not even close.

And I think the Jets end up around 10th in offense when all is said and done.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

So this is the first year people are blaming Schotty for the offense not being good enough for their tastes? doubt that.

This is his longest stretch with the same starting QB since he got here and the offense is just finding it's groove. By the time this season is over I think a lot of people will be eating their words.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will end up middle of the pack, you know why? because that is all he has been able to produce with his scheme for the past 5 years, I will guarantee you that they end up 16-20th in total offense and 23rd in passing.

He has been the weak link in this coaching staff since the changes took place but he has been the recipient of a lot of leniency.

Bob Sutton did not receive the leniency that BS received and if you look at his history as DC for the Jets, his Defenses ranked in the middle of the pack, same as the Jets offense has since BS tenure as OC.

Answer me this, why did we not tolerate a DC that has a middle of the pack Defense but we tolerate an OC that has a middle of the pack offense?

One of our posters put up an article on the forum the other day about how BS was considered a genius by many GM executives, have you ever had a GM say anything bad about a coach on another team?

That would be unacceptable in the NFL and could cost him his job. So I'm gonna take that article with a grain of salt.

Yes I would like him to receive a HC job somewhere else and we promote BC or hire a more seasoned OC but my bias is based on seeing the big picture for the tenure of BS coaching stint not on any personal vendetta.

4. I'm hardly saying Schotty has been great here, because I don't believe he has. But I do believe he has been better than the vitriol directed his way would indicate.

He was part of the reason why the Jets, with a rookie QB, ended up having the top rushing team in the NFL last season. Teams knew the Jets were going to run, but they still did so effectively. Now, part of that is Callahan and his work with the OL. But Schotty cannot receive none of the credit, if he's going to take almost all of the blame.

He had damaged goods in Pennington, a mediocre Clemens, a half-season injured Favre, and a neophyte Sanchez. I'm not sure he's ever had as complete an offense as he has this year, and right now, the Jets are outpacing the projected 16-20 ranking.

Schotty is far from perfect, but the negativity directed at him is in part because he's the guy calling the plays for the Jets. No matter who would be doing that, the armchair fans would bash that guy, because that's what armchair fans do.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Schotty is in charge of one of the worst RZ offenses in the NFL. That isn't vitriol, its a fact. Hopefully he is working to dramatically improve his RZE. On Sunday the Jets were 2/5 in the RZ, which sadly is an improvement over what we had been doing. Hopefully Schotty can at least get our offense to 60% RZE - that would be a dramatic improvement over what he has achieved thus far.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry if this has been mentioned already, but the Jets are ranked 9th in offense...my hatred of Schotty has certainly cooled a little bit these past 3 or so weeks.

7. As I said, Schotty has been far from perfect, and red zone production is an obvious example. But production overall as an offense is up. Eighth in total offense, 11th in points. Not ideal, with the cast he has, but not as awful as it's often made out to be.

But when he either gets replaced or moves on, the next guy will come in, likely be hyped, and then partway through the first season, have the boards and the sports radio callers bashing him because he didn't do what they would do in Situation A, or Situation B.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's called a good November. October was bad, and I was critical of it. Even though the Jets were winning the offense was bad, and funny enough the defense was closing out those games.

Its interesting how the Jets are missing "the closer" in Dwight Lowery and the defense has not been doing well in the 4th quarter :)

Post-bye week this offense has been nothing to really attack about, but there are still some areas where I'm thinking why the hell are you going to run that play now in that situation?

Oh, and the red zone everything has to get better. That's on everyone. Schotty and the players.

9. ukilledkenny

This is a legit concern.

Those of us that defend him are looking at the people that call for his head every time the Jets don't convert a third down.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Or he'll use what's being the shit out of a team all the way down to the 6 yard line and then change it up out of nowhere and the drive stalls.

That'll make anyone's blood boil. That's where a lot of the attacks come from.

That and throwing 44 times in a monsoon at home while having a lead the entire game. That's annoying too.

11. Agreed.

I am merely arguing for the sensible center. He's not as good as some make him out to be, or as horrid as others do. And I strongly believe that one of his biggest detriments is being the Offensive Coordinator of the New York Jets, a position that comes with about as much second-guessing from others as having an oval office does.

12. Red Menace

If you call what the Jets have been doing on offense the beginning of their groove than we are in trouble, because this groove has not been impressive, yes they have made some nice plays, but this does not inspire any confidence in me.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Thats great that we are 9th in terms of racking up total yardage. But that hardly tells the whole story. We are 18th in scoring TDs. We are 30th in RZ Offense.

Let me say that again: Schotty is running the 30th best RZ offense in the NFL. Only Seattle and Carolina are worse in the RZ than the Jets are. St. Louis and Minnesota are better RZ offenses than Schotty's offense.

39.39% doesn't cut it. By contrast the Pats RZE last week was 66.67%.

I don't hate Schotty, I just don't understand why we aren't allowed to question his job performance when he is in charge of one of the least efficient and least productive RZ offenses in the NFL.

14. Red Menace

I'll give you that, I don't look at the games from that point of view because I don't see what the QB sees, however as a fans we know if the offense is in a groove and many times as I watch the game they don't look like they are in a groove offensively.

15. People are allowed to challenge anything they want. But it does come across as a bit of Captain Hindsight.

Total offense and points are more indicative of the complete picture than red zone offense is. We could search for any stats we want to try to make our case, but that's not the way cases should be made. The evidence should create the case, not the case being decided, and then searching for evidence to back it.

Schotty's offense has had glaring issues. But that is true of almost any offense in the game. This offense is also above average in rushing, points scored, and dead-on average in passing.

The past three games, it has been more the offense than the defense that has led to these victories. Rex even acknowledges that, and has been tearing into his defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=5840287

The offense is far from flawless, but it's also been far from horrible - especially over the last few weeks.

16. ukilledkenny

I guess I could see how someone without a bias against Schotty could say that Sanchez going for 300 yards the last 3 games us unimpressive... oh wait no I can't.

This is my issue with most of the Schotty haters. The offense is in the top half of the league with a second year QB and your unimpressed. What exactly were you expecting?

17. And that's fair. Would I like the Jets to have the best offense in all regards? Sure, just as I would like them to have the best defense and specials. In the salary cap era, even in an uncapped year, that is pretty much impossible. I want the defense to be outstanding, and the offense to be good and balanced. I think that can be achieved this year, with the current cast of players and coaches in place. That would be a pretty solid combination for a title-contending team.

18. Red Menace

Stats are nice but the fact of the matter is that I'm not arguing about MS stats. The Jets were losing those games on the scoreboard, they only won those games because the opposing teams made more mistakes than the Jets did.

I can't be impressed with an offense that struggles against below average teams and is forced to air it out because they have their backs against the wall, which leads to good stats for their players.

When I see this offense light up, the Pats, Bears, and Pittsburgh, then I will be impressed.

As a matter of fact the lowly bills put up 49 points against the Bengals, how many do you think the Jets put up on them based on how the Jets offense has played?

19. But are stats valid when they make the case against Schotty (i.e., red zone production), but not when they make the case for him (rushing offense, points)?

20. ukilledkenny

The offense has moved the ball consistently since the GB debacle. As has been pointed out the RZ offense is an issue that needs fixing.

The bottom line for me is this. If we had been told before the season that after ten games the offense would be ranked 12th in points scored and 9th in yards per game while trending upwards for the home stretch we would have taken it and never looked back.

We don't even need to talk about what we would have done to guarantee that Sanchez would have a 2-1 td to int ratio. The results don't lie even if you don't like how they are achieving the results.