Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Where has this Defense gone : (

[​IMG]

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

At this point I think it would probably be more of a fair argument to put the defense and DC on the fire rather than the offense or the OC. So far the last 3 lucky wins have been mostly due to the offense showing up at the last minute. Giving up all those points to the Texans in the 4th quarter was pretty embarrassing. Sure, the fumble hurts, but if the defense holds them to 3 or less its a non-issue.

I'm excited that we are 8-2, but it is hard to feel wholly confident about this team when they can not put games away in the 4th quarter.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I see Reggie Wayne running that route constantly in the end zone.

I'm so happy the Jets have someone who can run it, and a QB who can throw that route perfectly.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If the Jets lose a two score lead in the fourth quarter, whose fault is that? Clearly it's the fault of the offense, right? I mean, our defense isn't really supposed to be all that good, right?

Exactly. For example, during most of yesterday's game I was screaming at the TV to stop running the ***damned ball. Throw it on screens to simulate the run game, which worked the few times we tried it.

In the end though, guys like us have to go into full-on defend Schotty mode, simply because his haters come out in force to rip him.

We were up 20-7 at one point in the game. That point was at the start of the fourth quarter. Giving up 20 points in a quarter wasn't on the offense, save turning the ball over. I guess since Greene's fumble was on offense we should blame Schotty for that?

Yup. It's time to abandon the "ground and pound" philosophy. Go with a "This is what is working right now" offensive philosophy. If a secondary can't keep up with your receivers, throw to them. If a DLine can't stop your backs, run the ball all day.

The "balanced offense" or the "ground and pound" ideas are nice in theory. The problem is, teams adjust. Go against what they're able to stop, especially when the talent pool in both offensive facets is deep enough to own whichever method the opposition can't handle.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Great post and you nailed it. The amount of vitriol that Schotty gets here compared to the D guys like Pettine is ridiculous.

Again: see how many people bitch/mention Schotty's name on WFAN, the blogs, or in the papers after a bad game and now compare it to all those who ask about Mike Pettine and the other "D" guys. And yeah, I know Rex has more say in the "D" than the "O" but last year he instituted a 'bracelet' system for the "O" after all the turnovers....now what's he gonna do with all the 4th quarter "D" breakdowns?

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree except...

Before I get to that and putting aside the D making these last few games too exciting, it should be clear opponents have been playing the Jets in a way that dares Sanchez to beat them. What works against them playing the run is a successful passing attack. But if I watched the Jet game film I'd be pretty leery about letting Holmes and Edwards run wild back there. Despite the clear evidence that the Texans were allowing the slants, which they must have known they were risking before the game started, they nearly came away with a win.

But they didn't. and despite these close games, I think the rest of the league is starting to understand that Sanchez can get it done.

So, maybe opponents will not be quite so tight playing the run, and then you might see the running game being more effective. In other words I will not be surprised, despite my agreement that the Jets should throw if opponents give them that, if we very soon see opponents' rushing D getting more porous. Use the pass to set up the run.

The one point I would supplement your points with is that there is a benefit to mixing in the run even if the passing attack is working. It tends to keep opponents off balance, it keeps the OL's heads in the game more, it even gives the receivers running down the field on passing plays a rest. And when the OL is doing such a weak job protecting the Qb, it cuts down on the odds of injury for him somewhat.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Please stop with all of this brainless Schottenheimer bashing .....:rofl2:

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Pink skirts on the safeties in practice.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't dispute anything you've said there.

In terms of the running game, I'm not advocating leaving it behind, not at all. Obviously if you pass 80% of the time the D is going to account for that and defend the pass (of course, that opens the run game for that other 20%.) That's not what I'm saying though.

Take yesterday for example. We continued to run the ball long after Houston proved they were going to stop it all day. Now obviously even in that situation you can't switch to a completely pass-happy offense, but you can throw more screens and only mix in a run once every 3 plays, rather than every other. (This is even ignoring that we should have planned to abuse their secondary in the first place as part of the game plan.)

The key is to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses your opponent shows. If a defense is stopping your run, take some chances in the air. Or at least mix up the running game. When was the last reverse this team executed? How many times yesterday could a quick screen have gotten more yards than the TFL on a hand off?

It would be silly to say we should leave the rushing attack behind. However, if it's not working, you don't continue to insist on running the ball 2 of every 3 downs. That's just common sense, I would think.

10. Clown

Clown New Member

Superb post bro! Finally someone who can speak without blood thirst for shotty.

I agree in this league its more like chess. We can say we are a run "first" team and we have the ability to run when we want but in reality....teams prepare for that and this is what keeps games close. I understand that how rex likes it but if the defense is not doing their best this will most likely end up in a loss for our recent games.

I like how shotty has the ability to actually steer away from "ground and pound" and air it out in crucial situations. I dont like his playcalling ability sometimes but he is the offensive coordinator that is actually getting the point that he has some explosive weapons on the fucking team.

Dont get me wrong I love Rex's talk about beating you up when you know exactly whats coming ( Good for the defense.. well maybe not right now), but on offense why go with a "tough" and keep games close when we can just blow people away at will.

3 games in a row won in the clutch. Thats not fucking luck, thats a sign that a team can score on you at will.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Which is why I think soon, probably the NE game, we will start running a hurry up no huddle offense before desperation time. Im hoping against the Pats our first drive Sanchez goes out there and just lets loose.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Somebody wrote yesterday and it's true that Ryan need to take back calling the defensive plays. I know he is trying to help Pettine out but this is getting pathetic. What happens when we start playing good teams again? At least if he does we will find out if the defense went to shit overnight or it's the plays being called.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

They defensive plays would work if people didn't leave their assignments wide open for TDs in the 4th quarter.

What I've realized is that the new players to this system are the ones making most of the mistakes.

Wilson early on, Pool, Cro early in the season, Taylor. These are the culprits to the breakdowns in coverage.

They need to get on the same page.

14. If Schotty was replaced, the first time his replacement made one play call the armchair playcallers wouldn't have made, he'd be getting bashed. There's no winning as a playcaller in this age of Madden and the such.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Not if the new OC had previous experience as an OC and maybe 15 plus years as a HC, I bet he would get the benefit of the doubt.

However if he were replaced with a QB coach who never had experience as a HC and this was his first serious coaching stint he would get blasted.

16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

On a positive note about Shotty, he finally got the Jets to run a few successful screen passes. I've been waiting maybe 20 years for the Jets to do it right.

17. He might get the benefit of the doubt a little longer, but I highly doubt it would even be for half a season.

The armchair playcallers know it all. They may have never coached, or even played, at any organized level, but they know everything about offense. You hear them calling into the radio shows all the time, or on boards like this.

An OC with previous OC experience, or even HC experience, might get a longer leash, but it would still be relatively short.

18. Red Menace

BS has gotten a 5 year leash, what should an OC who has had 15 years as a HC and coached at the college level and the NFL get?

19. He got a 5-year leash from the organization, not from the fanbase. Not even close.

20. Red Menace

You do realize that the fanbase has given him 4 years? Where do you think the offense will end up this year? leader of the pack, middle, or toward the bottom?