Congratulations to Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

'Bobby' Boucher Jr. aka VG, even if it was for one play. I almost spit out my cheese and crackers when I saw him break through the line.

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I don't mean to be a downer, but it was mis-communication on the O-line that led to the pressure. The LG chipped Vern and then went to help the LT with a double-team. It looked like the LG thought the C had Vern, but the C was working on a double-team with the RG.
    Hence, Vern broke through.

That being said, it was nice to see Gholston get a hand on a QB before post-game handshakes.

3. rdc2000

rdc2000 New Member

Okay. We'll listen to you instead of his coach and teammates who are behind him.

4. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Has anyone noticed that VG when hes on the field the last three games is the only lineman we have that can shed a block and have a path at the QB???

Yes he hasn't recorded a sack but most of the time hes inches away and atleast in the face. I'd like to see him get more playing time. Our pass rush has no moves, no spins, no swims, no outside rush. They all just run into the olineman and get stood up.

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This shit made me laugh the most!

I feel more like the parent of a kid in the special olympics.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Watching on T.V. I saw his number just as Schaub let the ball go and I was freaking out "Holy shit Gholston almost got a sack, three years in the making right there!" He really did a good impression of a competent football player on that one.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

FTR, he almost sacked McCoy too. He was inches away when the ball was released then too.

But let's not let facts interfere with outright blind hatred.

8. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Yep, hes been the only dlineman that actually gets a surge and sheds blocks the last three weeks. The only other guy that does it from time to time is Price. Ghost needs to play more, ALOT more.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He's serviceable.

10. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This would be true, except for the fact that it's not.

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

He has certainly gotten better but he just seems to lack the ability to come up big. It's nice that he has started to get in the backfield a bit but that isn't enough. I have grown tired of seeing him almost do something noteworthy, it's time he actually did something noteworthy.

12. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

And why do you say that, because he hasn't recorded a sack???? Lets not act like we have a legit pass rush here.

I'm talking about the ability 1 on 1 to shed a block. Our dline man can't do it (ellis, pouha, devito) and it seems like our OLB cant either (Jt, pace, thomas).

13. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

In the last 3 games (which is what you stated in your original post), at least one (and in some weeks more than 1) D-linemen have more TFL or QB hits than Gholston. I will not argue that we don't have a great pass rush, but to say Gholston is doing better than anyone on our d-line in that department is an overstatement.

And I'd go as far as to say we have one of the best d-lines in the game right now, and our ability to get no pressure has less to do with our 3-4 D linemen and more to do with our LB's.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Actually, I think Ellis is playing the best on the line in terms of pushing his blockers and trying to shed blocks. The problem is, no one is really shedding blocks, so no one is particularly noteworthy here.

I mostly agree. I just think that if everyone in the front-7 were playing better he would. He's pushing his blockers backward and he's getting into the backfield. The problem is, he's not getting any help (and in turn isn't really providing to anyone else either) and as a result, isn't able to get there in time.

I've seen him make TFLs and he's gotten near the QB. He's obviously not getting big results, but it's hard to point a finger at him when no one at all is doing anything.

I agree with the first paragraph. He's not playing better than everyone else on the line. Actually, I'd say of the group including himself, Ellis, Pouha and DeVito he's been the worst of the bunch.

As for your second statement, I only half agree. Our linebackers are near invisible lately. As far as our line though, I have a tough time saying they're the best in the game right now. If they are, we'd be dead if any of them go down. I don't think that's the case. I just think the entire defense has been playing lazy and it needs attention immediately.

15. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

I nearly cried when I saw that he almost got his first sack

16. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

Arguably should have been intentionally grounding.

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No fucking way... our DL is solid against the run but very suspect in hurrying the passing game. And I'm not talking about sacks or stats, just looking at the amount of pressure they're able to bring and hte number of blockers they effectively take...

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I remember watching the play and thinking, "Holy Crap! That was Gholston."

It's kind of sad that I thought that.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Way to be a unintentional downer....Either way, I did see that play and the guy guarding him literally let VG pass because he probably felt it was a knock the guards reputation in blocking a colossal bust :rofl2:

20. 624

624 Banned

Vernon will make a big play in the Super Bowl