Mike Pettine -- what is this guy doing ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 21, 2010.

1. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

We had no pressure whatsoever on Schaub!

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

If you don't get pressure and you can't cover the TE...........

3. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

We need a pass rush, I remember there were two straight plays where Shaub had all day to pass

4. grayburn

grayburn Member

Pettine is just fine, the defense blew assignments. Too many people confuse bad play calling with bad execution.

Now, the decision between pass rusher and safety is a tough one. I was excited about Brodney Poole and I haven't been overly impressed so far.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Poole.... He's nothing more than "serviceable"..... a position in need of upgrade.

6. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

Good point.

And it took the Jets' defense longer than I would have liked to adjust to Foster catching balls out of the backfield... ya gotta wonder what's happening with the blown coverage in the secondary... game after game.

7. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

He's been a non-factor his entire career.

8. Play Like A Jet

I hate to be one of those guys... but it's Pool not Poole. I was one of the few people who really liked Kerry Rhodes. When he wasn't modeling and starring in Lady Gaga music videos I thought he did pretty well. So I might be a little biased but I think Pool was a downgrade and really is just a "serviceable" player.

9. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd priorities are pass rushers. That would solve a lot of the D's problems.

10. Johnny_Sample

Johnny_Sample New Member

The problem with pass rushers in a 3-4 is where to you play them. Your classic pass rushing DE does'nt have a role in the 3-4. And Outside linebackers have more responsibility than just rushing the QB. I'd love to see more pressure without having to blitz with 3 or more players. If next year's top draft priority is a pass rushing OLB then fine. But Bryan Thomas is still a pretty good player. Is there a Lawrence Taylor type playing coming up in the 2011 draft?

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Funny.....our Offense scores a decent amount of points and I see 5 threads on Schotty....but Pettine (and Rex) are getting off on the D.

12. JetsKickAss

How do you blow an assignment by letting a TE have 20 yards of daylight ? This wasn't a safety being 1/2 second late to a receiver.....the TE looked like he snuck off the Texans sideline as a 12th man.

Pettine...Leonhardt (calling the signals).....LB's coach....what are these guys doing ?

Schwab, with a busted knee, had 8 seconds on 1 play. Unreal.

13. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I like Pouha and I think he will be effective next season but he's gonna be 32 in February and I don't know how much longer he will be a factor before age/injuries start rearing its head.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Front 7 x 100000. You put opposing QBs on their asses consistently the secondary looks a lot better.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

our D is ranked 5th overall.....yeah.....send in the complaints!!!! :rolleyes:

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Coverage breakdowns. Players fucking up.

See its easier to see what schemes are played on defense and why things don't work. We all get it. When Pettine and Rex had the top D in the league last year, and are still consistent in the rushing defense, and have Darrelle fucking Revis, and rarely rush 3 and play pussy soft defense, they get a pass and know things are going to get better, similar to last year.

You seem to not get that. You seem to want the whole defense fired because of secondary breakdowns, not philosophy and situation playcalling. They know how to get the best out of their JAGs as well. They are football geniuses.

You seem to fail at grasping this.

17. JetsKickAss

You think it's a Big Time D that can stop a playoff team in the 4th Quarter ?

You feel confident with this D going against Brady, Rivers, or Manning ?

18. JetsKickAss

I broke down game films in high school and college. I grasp this, believe me.

What I see are zone coverages that are breaking down once offensive players are moving in motion with the QB. This is letting huge gaps in the area between the LB's and secondary.

Either a safety has to stay 'fixed' on that side of the field or a CB has to switch assigments with another deep-cover and move to the vacated zone.

Of course....the whole thing would be moot if we had some pass rush. No defense can cover for a 100% inept pass rush. If the QB has 10 seconds to throw, there is nothing the LB's or DB's can do to cover forever.

Here's what I want to know from Pettine and his assistants: why no inside slants ? Why not try other personnel on the line ? Why not use a 4- or 5-man line to get pressure ? And yeah, why no blitzes (I thought they were coming back with Revis back) ?

19. JetsKickAss

It's an outstanding defense the first 45 minutes.

It's highly suspect in Q4.

20. JetsKickAss

8.3 seconds on my count.