Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I consider even 1 pass a bad idea and a totally unnecessary risk w/a franchise QB, just to get a 10-15 yd gainer. But thats just my opinion. If Schotty wants to take that kind of a risk, thats up to him. You stated that they threw to Elway all the time and I don't think thats accurate, thats all I was saying.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That game could be for not only the division but for a bye and possibly home field advantage throughout. If there were ever a time to open up the playbook, that would be it (assuming both teams continue to win).

From what I've seen the chance of Nacho being put in harms way is very minimal. They show him going down the sideline completely ignored with about 10-15 yards on the safety as the safety has his eyes in the backfield.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't disagree w/ you about that. I hate trick plays to begin w/, it's ok to do them once every couple of games but we do it every week and the maddening thing about it(this is my only grip w/ Schottenheimer) is that he tends to do when the offense is moving and getting into a rhythm.

You are correct, all the time was a poor phrase.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I hear you Junc. The misdirection/reverse plays that Schotty calls are one of my pet peeves. We don't execute those plays that well and Defenses KNOW that schotty likes misdirection. Getting sacked for a loss on a broken misdirection play can be a real drive killer and I wish we'd get away from that stuff and play more to our strengths on offense.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I guess it just comes to the situation for me. If the Pats game actually shapes up to be a show down for the division and home field advantage then that would be a game where I would endorse pulling anything out of the bag of tricks. A regular season game against the Browns or the Texans doesn't have enough reward for that type of risk.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

I concur.
    fillerup

7. 624

624 Banned

We need to throw a fade to Sanchez.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

we should run a misdirection pitch to Sanchez and see if he can turn the corner on it. It could be good for 7 yds. who care's if he gets crushed by a LB? Thats what we have Brunnell for.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Couple of things:

1) That part about not responding wasn't directed at you. Don't be sensitive my friend. :wink:

2) Unless the ball was thrown to Sanchez in a do-or-die situation with playoff implications there is absolutely no reason to ever throw the ball in Sanchez's direction much less to him. And trust me, I'd be calling for Schotty's blood if he did.

3) Paul Hackett's dink-and-dunk was vilified while he was here, and rightfully so. To even imply that anything resembling it should be used with a QB who can make the throws is ridiculous.

The fact is, more plays are screwed up by Sanchez after the snap than by Schotty before it.

100% agree. B.Smith threw one pass, for a TD no less, and that was it. It's time to let him throw it a bit. Once every dozen times would be enough, but it has to be done once in a while.

For those beating up Don about this, relax. He's not saying pass it every other attempt. Just once in a while to keep defenses honest. Hell, they're not even executing reverses out of the formation anymore. It's just Smith taking the snap and running up the middle with it.

As I said above, this is the only way I'd think it was okay to do.

+1

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you directed that at me.

(And BTW I did point out that I'd hoped that IF they were to run that play it would be against NE.)

11. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Example? How is Sanchez the screw up.... It seems to me, (and believe me, I'm no expert) that Shotty's schemes are a little time consuming in terms of having to think about it, e.g. if you quicken the pace and don't make Sanchez think about it too much, he plays some of his best football. Mentoring learning, guidance are one thing, but jeez, just let the kid play, and he will light up some of these teams!

Jus sayin, IMHO......:up:

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Fair enough. I might have missed that, but again, even against NE, unless it's clearly a playoff determining situation, I'd still be adamantly against the call.

You answered your own question if you simply re-word the second bolded part to say: "Sanchez doesn't think about it too much."

He takes far too long every play letting things develop. Even if you blame Schottenheimer for constructing schemes that take too long to develop, you can't honestly believe that none of the receivers are ever open in less than 4 seconds. Sanchez spends far too much time with the ball in his hand, looking downfield for the big play. That's why the quick strikes to Keller over the middle in the late parts of games work so well. He can thread the needle dead-on-target when he doesn't take time to think about it. He also doesn't lead with his eyes in those situations, which makes a huge difference.

How often do you see Sanchez throw a ball out of bounds after coming out of the pocket? I can probably count the times this season on one hand. You can't blame coaching for that, especially when we've seen Schottenheimer talk about how Sanchez has been told repeatedly to throw it away when a play breaks down. He just doesn't do it.

Sanchez still makes young-QB mistakes. The reason he doesn't appear to be having a sophomore slump is because 1) he's not easily shaken and 2) he's got a ton of talent surrounding him making plays. (Though I'll grant that those guys have really let him down on some plays this year too.)

Let's remember he really should have at least a handful more interceptions this year on passes that DBs flat out dropped.

Here's how I feel about the Jets' offense in a nutshell. Neither Sanchez nor Schottenheimer are the best at their craft, and it's debateable whether either is actually elite. However, they're both very good at their jobs, and together make a Super Bowl caliber tandem.

13. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

OK...lol, I can live with that (bolded), but it still appears as if the offense is more effective in hurry up mode, as far as receivers being open in 4, seconds, I concede that I don't get that view, watching TV or the internet, as opposed to seeing the game live(assuming you have this opportunity), but I do see him dump off to the check down receiver quite a bit....

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Watching the game again, I still seethe at seeing shotgun on 3rd down inside the 12. And it happened about 4 times.

I'll only agree with it if Brad Smith is behind center, because the defense will actually have to protect against the run and pass.

Personally I just hate that situational playcall, and wish to never see it again.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

Hey, it could be worse, we could have Dan Henning. The Fins ran the ball 7 times (minus the Thigpen scrambles) tonight with there 3rd string QB starting. Nice.

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

I wouldn't trust Ricky and Ronnie to not be drunk and/or high, either.

17. IATA

IATA Trolls

3rd and long. 3 yard pass. ya, schott is fucking great.

18. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

yeah man gotta love those fuckin 3rd and 10 5 yard dump offs or 3rd and 26 draw plays. i swear, paul hackett still looms over this team.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hell. What is he doing?

20. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Why not run the fucking ball 2nd and two? Total stupidity. They let Jones go apparently confident in the running game. USE IT!!!