Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The reason the Jets don't have anything in between is because of the scheme, that is the shortcoming of the WCO it is intended to move the ball 5-10 yards at a time, with the passes to the RB out of the backfield looked at as running plays.

The reads have to be quick and the scheme is not designed to take advantage of the opposing defenses weakness, it is designed to allow a big receiver to make plays against the mismatch which the QB has to identify.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I love it when jonnyd comes around to school everyone. Well said jonny.

Thank you.

Something else I'd like to point out. People are saying the Jets offense is too predictable, but they think it was insane to line up spread at the goal line when the run had been working so well.

Schizophrenia runs wild on this board.

Which should have been at least 35.

Not to mention it should have been more lopsided except our defense didn't feel like playing until the second half. (Not to mention the defense had to defend a shorter field every time Folk missed the uprights.)

The pre-snap motion was driving me insane yesterday. I'll agree with that.

The Jets had possession of the ball for over 20 minutes more than the Browns. James Brown doesn't have more rhythm than that.

I love you guys, but seriously, I can't believe anyone thinks it's even a remotely decent idea to throw the ball to Sanchez.

We've seen what guys like Leonhard, or worse Eric Smith, do to guys with the football right? You want Sanchez to be on the receiving end of that? Really?

You're absolutely right, which is why Keller never catches anything over the middle for 8 or 12 yards.

So wait, you want to do what everyone else would do in those situations, but Schotty's offense is predictable?

I'm not pointing a finger at you as being schizo, but this board has no idea what it wants. Except it wants to blame Schotty for losing a game we won.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

I want to do what makes sense. It makes no sense to throw it 40 yards down the field when you only need 7.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And Schotty did NOT call a very good game. He called a B game.

You're going up against Mangini and Rob Ryan. Your game plan mysteriously does not center on 3 step drops and quick hitters, when you know they want to get after Sanchez.

You didn't see the play, clearly.

You or I would have scored on that play without the Safety getting close.

The safeties were 3 yards beyond the line.

On the right side the Browns had 2 CB's.

One locked onto the third receiver as a blocker.

The remaining DB had Holmes crossing in front of him (also the better receiving option),
    and Sanchez down the right sideline going away.

A Step forward and a pump fake, and that catch/throw is not contested by a single defensive player.

Holmes could have been hit as the DB's were A:5 yards behind him on the right, and B:15 yards away on the left.

A throw to Sanchez in that spot would not have yielded a single defender.

(BTW...we ran that Play to ChinaDoll Chad in the distant past.)

#524 Hobbes3259, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

See, that's the thing. People want Schotty to call the plays "that make sense" but they also want to make sure Schotty's playcalling isn't "predictable." There's no reconciling that.

Beyond that though, I sort of agree. Believe me, there were a couple of times where I was throwing things in my living and screaming loud enough that my wife said "You know, he can't hear you in Cleveland."

Trust me, Schotty does some things that make me crazy, but overall, he has this offense moving down the field all day. Guys dropping passes that hit them in both hands or kickers boincing balls off an upright aren't in his control.

Honestly, I think more of the problem is Sanchez, and I say it every game. I love Sanchez, especially in the two minute drill, but he overthinks everything. Notice that his best throws come when he's on the run. When he has time to sit back in the pocket he overthinks and overthrows. When he has time to throw he looks his receivers into position, which also looks the corners into position. When he's scrambling, he's just looking around for some daylight, and he finds it.

I've been saying it for years and it becomes more apparent every game. The issue is more a lack of execution on the field than a series of poor playcalls. Yes, I agree that Schotty tries to get too cute (especially with the pre-snap motions) but when the opposition's time of posession is equal to the time of possession you beat them by, it's hard to say the playcalling was particularly awful.

And again, we lost at least 9 points on Folk's leg, which has nothing to do with Schottenheimer at all. (Plus gives up better field position to the opposition, which is a cumulative effect when the first punt doesn't come until the second half.)

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'll type this slowly so you can hear me.

You. Do. Not. Throw. The. Ball. To. Your. Franchise. QB.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

schotty made some horrendous play calls. the schotty apologists and ball washers here somehow think this mediocre OC walks on water, which is fukking hilarious.

8. Hobbes3259

Helllooooooooo?!?!?!?!?

YOU.PLAY.TO.WIN.THE.GAME!

If you let him run with it....you let him catch it when he's completely uncovered down the field. (as I said...in yesterdays situation Holmes is the preferable target...on another day, the CB might collapse right on Holmes, in which case you have a guy uncovered 30 yards down field.)

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone believes he walks on water, and I don't believe anyone is sounding like they're "washing his balls".

You keep talking about "horrendous playcalling" but have yet to explain yourself. You sound ridiculous.

There were probably 3 or 4 plays where I was bitching about the play call yesterday, but no one calls a perfect game.

What exactly is your problem with his play calling yesterday?

10. Hobbes3259

He's not thinking...he's waiting for a guy to come open 20 yards down field.

It's fairly straightforward math.

Great Protection = 4 seconds....therefore routes that take 3.5 seconds to develop are going to be two things.....

Low Completion, and Dangerous for the QB.

3 step drop routes = 1.5 seconds.

Now, I'm not saying the whole offense sucks...just that it would be nice for schotty to learn that the QB is allowed to throw the ball beyond the Line of Scrimmage (the majority of our 1-10 grouping) before the receivers are 15 yards down field.

11. Hobbes3259

Going against as pressure D without a bevy of 3 step drops and slants to slow them down.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

Do you realize the Jets only punted 3 times yesterday? One of which happened in OT?

13. Hobbes3259

Yes.

I'm also aware that Sanchez relies on 4+ seconds of protection....

Here's my take.

If you give Schotty last week off, and let Paul Hackett write the gameplan...(think Chad Ball), then bring Schotty in at halftime....

No sacks, and we put up 50.

Now, all I am saying here, is that it was A: obvious that Cleveland wanted to get in Marks face, and B: the way you mitigate that is using 3 step drops for decent gains until they get tired of running 3 steps upfield then retreating.

He clearly has an aversion to quick timing routes.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

The Jets offense was in command for the majority of that game. It's not like we never run quick slants, but we didn't run too many quick timing routes that game. I have to believe Schotty saw something specific he wanted to attack in that defense and it was working pretty well. We could have done a better job of finishing some of those drives but good god, if you want to complain about Schotty this was not the game to do it.

15. Hobbes3259

I get very uncomfortable watching Sanchez run for his life, when he's facing Rob Ryan
    (i.e. when it's predictable...) that's my point....

(And TBH we weren't really control till the second half. That first drive was awesome)

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

What is becoming predictable, is that we will usually go for a 20+ yard pass on 3rd and long. Other teams are not even trying to cover the middle against us on the 3rd because they know we are planning on airing it out.

17. 624

624 Banned

The stretch plays pissed me off yesterday.

They worked on 3rd and short, but other than that they didn't do shit but he kept going back to it.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's how I feel. I just wish those calls weren't in crucial spots during drives. I want them to be in areas where they can be glossed over at the end of they day.

Its been better in the past two weeks.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

2nd and 1 to the goal and they run triple lundi motion to no one in the backfield. I was livid. Nothing pisses me off more about play calling than the multiple motion horse shit.

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

You sound like a broken record.

He makes play calls that I disagree with and that others disagree with. I have news for you though, every offensive coordinator on the planet will make playcalls you disagree with. The fact still remains that we are stuck with Schotty whether you love him, hate him, or fall in between. He is part of a coaching staff that has this team at 7-2 so I can't see how even the most senior members of the Blame Schotty fan club can seriously be that disenchanted with him. Could the Jets have a better OC? yeah I would say so. Could they be doing a lot worse at OC? Without a doubt.