Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Wasn't Sanchez making one-handed catches on "Hard Knocks"?

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sure, but nobody was covering deep, safeties came up, corners came in, Sanchez breezed by and was completely uncovered with no help anywhere near.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Do you know how fast they would catch him?

I personally would not want to risk it. Not unless he's already in the EZ wide open, we don't need him full on sprinting for his life and pulling a hammy.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Definitely need more throws on the Wildcat.

We are finally starting to see some longer passes. I was getting sick and tired of seeing 5 yard passes every play. I thought I was seeing the 2nd coming of Chad Pennington. I want to see more 10-20 yard passes. It usually feels like 5-10 or 20+, nothing in between.

I'm glad they ran some more yesterday, but I agree with Ray Lucas, they can definitely run it more. Like I've been saying, running mixed with some semi-deep passing would really open things up a lot. A lot of these teams don't have great secondaries, the Jets need to exploit it with the receivers they have. Teams can't cover Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, and Tomlinson. There's going to be a mismatch somewhere.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We throw down field all the time - more often than most teams.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. Backhanded as well.

7. Hobbes3259

From the 50, going in there would have been no one within 30 yards of him.

Also would have had Holmes, running free in the middle of the field.

#507 Hobbes3259, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Assuming that Smith makes a good pass that hits Sanchez in stride. What happens when Smith throws a floater that Sanchez has to wait on? Corners and Safety's are already a lot faster than Sanchez and I don't even think your claim that he would have walked in yesterday is true since we don't know how a team would react to that play. I certainly don't think a wildcat throw to Sanchez is a gimme in any situation.

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I never said we don't throw down the field, I said we don't throw in between deep and short. At least in the games where the offense sucks anyway.

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

We don't always need to bomb it down field. We apperently have no calls for 10-20yrds

11. Hobbes3259

I just rewatched it. As I said, they were keying on Smith, and he took that snap from the shotgun. Once he took a step forward they started collapsing inside.

The Jets had 3 in a bunch against 2 DB's. In the bunch was Holmes,Sanchez, and Another.

The first CB actually tried to stay with the inside receiver (blocking), but the lone remaining DB would have had to make one of two choices....cover Holmes who would have been in the middle of the field (and would have obviously been the better option) and was 5 yards in front of him (and 15 yards from the other safety....hit Homes and its a score)....or.....Turn and try to run down the sideline leaving Holmes wide open.

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't discount any of this. I saw how hard they were keying on Smith and I think there are obviously plays that can exploit how teams play the wildcat. I would much prefer any Wildcat pass go to Holmes or Edwards like you suggested in this post. A pass to Sanchez has way to many potential downfalls for it to be worth it unless the play goes perfectly for the Jets.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

The Jets have thrown plenty of passes in that range. You're just looking for something to complain about.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Pass Thrown: 11-20 yds-

34 for 57, 728 yards, 59.6 completion %, 12.77 YPA, 3 TD, and a 106.8 QB rating for Mark.

I'd say we have plenty and we do it well. Considering his total passing yards to this point are 1,991 those plays almost account for half.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

Code:
    		att	comp
    1-10 yards 	90	55
    11-20 		90	48
    21-30		73	36
    31+		45	24

So about 1/3 of his attempts have been in the 11-20 yard range that we allegedly never attempt. More than half of his pass attempts on the season are between the 11 and 30 yard range.

16. Hobbes3259

All he needed to do was step forward one step, and then throw a Chad floater over the line.

Holmes would have been gone.

17. Hobbes3259

Problem I have is with the 1-10 yard passes is the fact that too many are not high % passes.

That first line should be 90/75, which would put his comp % over 60

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Be definition a 1-10 yard pass should be high percentage. Sanchez is still struggling with being consistently accurate, I have no doubt he will fix that problem, but again I think you're just looking for something to complain about. 2nd year QB's typically struggle in the completion percentage department~~~.

If you want to say the 1-10 yard passes aren't high percentage, please give examples of the passes in that range that aren't high percentage. I've also seen you complaining about no 3 step drop, but we've seen that too, it's just another phantom complaint.

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

Ok, so I was wrong.

Maybe I should rearticulate what I was trying to say...

When we need a 11-20 yard play, it seems we either bomb it out or go short of the line. IMO, the playcalling needs to be more varied and have more plays with a chance to get the first when we need it most. Big bombs are fun, but when you do them on 3rd and under 10, it makes no sense.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

fixed your post