Video Games: What are you playing? Review it

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by LeonNYJ, Nov 11, 2010.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Easy enough thread. What game are you currently or just finished playing, and review it. Not sure if I want to make this single player only or multiplayer as well, but whatever, have at it.

Game: Mafia 2
    Platform: PC
    Score (out of 10): 7.5

It's a fun game, great visuals, audio, dialog, game play is great too. The combat controls are fine, the hand-to-hand fighting is much better than any of the GTA games. The soundtrack is great, lots of old great music. I'm enjoying the storyline as well.

However, there are some things that take away from it.

Story: Too short. I started the game last night, Sure, I played it for about 5 hours, but I have maybe one or two chapters left, and the game's done. Since there's no multiplayer and very few side missions, the story had to be longer. Also you start making money way too quickly. I wish you'd have to do more small jobs, maybe rob houses, stores, whatever, to make some money. It would be great if the game took a good 12-15 hours to complete the story, not 6-8.

Money: Besides upgrading/repairing your car, buying weapons, and buying clothes there's no use for money. I don't get to buy any type of property, I do that in a cut screen or my buddy does it for me. Even weapons, for the most part, you don't have to buy weapons because you can just pick them up off dead bodies or someone will just give you one.

Weapons: Classic gangster and WW2 era weapons. However, at the start of the game you start as an American soldier in WW2. You get to use an M1 Garand and various other WW2 weapons. Coming back to the states, I can't even get a battle rifle to take into combat, it'd be nice to have the added accuracy.

Combat: Way too easy on the PC. All I need to do is aim and head shot everyone. I don't need anything but my M1911 pistol and I destroy everyone. I rarely die. No one is moving around, so I can just pop them with ease as long as I'm quick enough, take cover and they aren't too far away.

There are some other small things that bothered me, but that's the majority of my issues with the game.

However, as I said, it's a fun game, but those just some of the things that if they did it right, it would have been an epic game.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Ms. PacMan: I find the graphics to be phenomenal.

Game play is very similar to PacMan but better!!!

Burger-Time on Intellivision: Awesome, I love the pickles.

That's it for me.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Leon, your review makes Mafia 2 sound like a terrible game. How did it get a 7.5 on your scale?

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's an enjoyable game. I do like it, I just happened to list the negative things more than the positive things. Those are more of the things that made the game not a 10 to me. I mean it's pretty much like a GTA game. If you like those games, this isn't much different. In terms of the ease of killing people, it's a console port, so that's why it's so easy on PC. GTA games are the same. It would have been nice if they made the combat more difficult with that mind. It just feels like that they could have done so much more with the setting and story, but didn't.

#4 LeonNYJ, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. 624

624 Banned

6. Rascio

Rascio New Member

From being out of work because of surgery for the better part of 3 months I've had a chance to play so many good games for both Xbox 360 and PS3. I figured out a way to pretty much get free games from Gamestop so i've abused it to the point that I literally have nothing left to play/beat..

Games I'd recommend are:
    Unchartered 2 - Amungst thieves
    God of War 3
    Oblivion
    Fallout 3/New Vegas
    Final Fantasy 13
    Halo Reach
    Red Dead Redemption
    Dead Space
    Dead Rising 1 & 2
    Alan Wake
    Borderlands
    Mafia 2
    Kane and Lynch 2 (Game start to finish only runs about 3 1/2 hours though)

7. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Mass effect was a great 2 game series also but if you're going to try them out, play 1 first because you can carry over stuff to the 2nd installment. Unfortunately I found out the hard way and played 2 before 1.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Agreed those are my favorites from your list, but i enjoy pretty much all those games you mentioned.

So about that way to get dirt cheap/free games from gamespot...

9. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Basically what I've done is this. Gamestop has a 7 day no questions asked return policy for all pre-owned games. So let's say I spend 50 bucks on 1 pre-owned game + 10% off for having the edge card, beat it and return it. Buy another game for 30 or w/e and put the rest of the difference on my edge card. Constantly beating and returning games within 7 days and getting 10% off each game I've actually built up like 100 bucks on my card + have a game out that I have to return by mid-week next week.

It really only works on games you only plan on beating and not replaying because of the 7 day limit.

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Nobody like my games?

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I'm impressed. You must have a lot of free time on your hands to get through some of those games in a week. FF XIII in particular. That game can take a long ass time on the first playthrough. Thats a pretty nifty deal if you have the time to take advantage of it though.

12. Rascio

Rascio New Member

[​IMG]

13. Rascio

Rascio New Member

Yah I had surgery in August so I took full advantage of being out of work and on disability. Nothing really else to do since I'm not married and have no kids so what the hell, might as well play some vids. I was always a big socom/madden guy so through the years I never really played any other games so did all my catching up and got to enjoy A LOT of really great games.

14. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

15. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Those are classics.

Based on your posts, I always pictured you younger -- those games are sort of -- late 70s early 80s on home consoles.

Cheers if you were being sarcastic, but I'm a little drunk right now.

$!

16. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Haha. Perfect.

17. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I'm 36. I was playing those games at home as a kid. I'm not playing them now a days, I was a little intoxicated when I posted too.

I did like burger time though.

My first system was a Ballys, followed by Intellivision, Coleco Vision, sega, n64, sega again, dreamcast, ps1, ps2, and finally a 360.

I'm always traveling for work so I'm behind on games. I just started playing Red Dead Redemption.

18. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I am as young as possible when I can be on an Internet forum or when I'm playing games with my kids.

Working for the DoD, everything is so dry that I need to go back to my inner kid whenever I'm not on an installation.

19. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Civilization franchise. (I am currently on 5)
    Company of Heroes/Company of Heroes:Opposing Front
    Nobunaga's Ambition 13: the heavenly mandate
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare