Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I totally agree. The coaching deserves a lot of the blame. And when you consider how many mistakes they are making, I think the coaching probably deserves MOST of the blame. I'm just saying that if you go to every losing team's message board from yesterday, you'll see every offensive coordinator should be fired according to the fans. I just don't think things are quite as simple as: "It's all Schotty's fault".

2. slimjasi

And btw, I have plenty of issues with Schotty, myself. I just think blaming him for everything that goes wrong on offense is an amazing oversimplification.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, it's almost never easy to realistically place the blame on one person in a sport that is so team-oriented as football. I admit that I was screaming curses at Schotty during the game every time I saw one of his predictable dink and dunk schemes show up, but you don't know how he was trying to set the plays up against the looks he was getting and the players weren't putting forth the effort that you want to see from a team that is for real.

I want to see them frothing at the mouth against non-conference teams, not just in a divisional matchup. They have not played with anything near the intensity of the Miami and Patriots games against a non-divisonal opponent.

And the offensive line got man-handled in the first half as well. And for a lot of the game, Sanchez was a deer in headlights and ended up botching 2 snaps because of it. That might actually be my lead gripe with Schotty. Outside of the opening Monday night loss against Balt, Sanchez started out confident and poised and has lost some of that with every passing week. I'm still not that comfortable with the idea of Schotty being able to mentor Sanchez to his fullest potential.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think Brian had a poor game again BUT I think that has alot to do w/ the HC. After last week the gamepla was to run yesterday and even though it wasn't working it we kept forcing it setting up 2nd and 7 or 8 just about every possession.

5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I think we are all critical of Schotty, and I have been much more forgiving than most. However, I find myself asking aloud why the Jets can string together a few simple slant and out routes and go down 7,8,9 yards at a time. Kinda like the Lions first drive. Kinda how the Gints could move the ball on the Seahawks. The Jets make it way too hard on themself.

That being said, 9 dropped balls, according to Rex vs GB, was surely not part of the play calling. Another poster mentioned that Sanchez would have thrown for 300 yards last week if Holmes catches his pass and 1 more.

Execution definitely makes the playcalling look better.

Simplifying the playcalling with out the motions and shifts would basically give away the play to the defense.

Mark is Not Peyton/Brady/Brees/Rodgers. He certainly doesn't have the experience and he isn't as good as any of these QBs yet.

6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but these offensive problems can not go unresolved, so what would your solution be? Replace Sanchez? Turn off Schotty's mic and let Rex call the offensive plays? This is just one of those situations where replacing Schotty is the logical decision, not based on a knee-jerk uninformed reaction but on a detailed analysis of a large sample size.

Keep in mind that this is a man who was upset that he was passed over for head coach of this team and who still has aspirations to be a head coach in this league. If that had not inspired him to be more consistent and competent at his job, what can possibly motivate him to do so?

7. slimjasi

Look, at 6-2 and tied for the best record in the league, no one is getting replaced right now. If we collapse down the stretch and the offense fails to be productive, Schotty would almost definitely take the fall. Assuming we make the playoffs (still no guarantee), I'd like to see Schotty and Sanchez get another full year together regardless of what happens in January.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is as good of a place as any to put this comment. If Schotty puts a tackle in motion one more time I may drive to the stadium and kick him in the dick.

9. slimjasi

haha, yes I'm tired of that shit too.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The penalties are getting out of control and must be addressed.

We are currently ranked 27th in penalties committed per game at 7.9 and 29th in Penalty yards per game at 72.1.

Furthermore we are ranked 29th in penalty yards per penalty, 9.2 yards on average for every penalty committed.

We'v had two very costly roughing the kicker penalties this year, and I despise those. 1 came against the Ravens when they were punting, the got a 4th down and ended up scoring.

11. slimjasi

Also, I could go the rest of my life without seeing another flanker screen on third and long

12. WhiteShoeWillis

It's fucking pointless and usually results in a bad play for the offense. If he wants to go unbalanced line, FINE, you don't have to motion the tackle to do that. POINTLESS. He's just adding an unnecessary moving part.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

The offense needs to pickup where it left off this week and build on the success they had late in the game. They were obviously in a rut coming out of the bye.

14. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

YES YES YES!

How do the they do that?

By running the 2 minute drill....FOR 60 FUCKING MINUTES!

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

You guys that have been screaming for less cute shit and more ground and pound got what you wanted yesterday and it didn't work. Teams have adjusted to the Jets running game while the running game as a whole also seems to be in a bit of funk. I'm sure we have probably moved on from cutesy to predictable in the never ending game of blame Schotty but predictable is what a lot of you wanted.

I have plenty of issues with the offense and Schotty but I just can't bring myself to act like I know how to fix it when it obviously isn't as simple as "run the ball 40 times" like many seem to think it is.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't have the slightest idea what is the right way to call an NFL game, but that is certainly not a reason to therefore not criticize the guy whose job it is to do it (cheering and criticizing is what fans do, even though none of us could play or coach at anywhere near that level). The fact is that the playcalling on the first four Jets possessions was horrible and predictable: 1st down run up the middle, 2nd down slant just behind the line of scrimmage, 3rd down short pass 2-3 yards short of the 1st down. That was not execution, since Sanchez didn't even look downfield - these were the plays called.

It got better after that, which not so coincidentally is when they actually called an occasional play to the outside or downfield. They looked best when Sanchez was calling the plays himself in the 2 minute drill. I mentioned in another thread that it seems to me that Schottenheimer simply doesn't trust the players to make plays, and gives up control only reluctantly or when forced to do so. That might make sense on a team with little talent, but on this team, with the playmakers they have, it is insane. If that is not an indictment of him I don't know what is.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I want him gone, he does not know what wins games.

How can he not see the success we had when Keller was our primary target? I think he's a retard now. I honestly do.

Keller was involved on all our scoring drives, even if it's a incomplete pass he was still involved. He was heavily involved in the 2 game tying series.

I know I sound like a broken record, but how can he watch film and not see it causes problems when our opponent has to account for Keller.

If you look at the Holmes play the ended the game, Keller drew two guys in his direction that left Holmes open to make the play he made.

18. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Schotty for what ever reason refuses to call medium yardage plays around 8-12 yards down field. It's always 5 yard slant, 5 yard curl, 5 yard out. The shit doesn't work. Teams will stack the box, and sit on the short routes all day long. The window to throw gets smaller and smaller when we don't attack more yardage downfield. There is a reason why those quick throws that used to work all the time don't work now. It is because teams see that is all we run so they sit on it. They don't fucking respect our medium to big yardage game and they don't have to until we start calling it more and show teams we will go there.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

EXACTLY!! It's unbelievably frustrating watching the games and knowing that the 5 yard slant is coming and then see the corner completely up on the receiver and jump the route. It seems like in the first half of every game, every drive goes like this:

1st- run for 4-5 yards
    2nd- slant incomplete
    3rd- false start followed by 3 yard pass to Tomlinson

The slants are NOT WORKING. And now defenses are rushing less men and dropping extra guys into coverage to take Keller and the middle of the field away. Which brings me to my biggest problem with Schottenheimer's playcalling..

The receivers NEVER run a double move! Never. You'd think with defenses inching up to stop the run and jump these 5 yard slants, from time to time they'd send Edwards or Holmes on a double move and hit them over the top. But it's just the same stuff over and over.. 5 yard slants, 5 yard curls..

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You see 9-men front on 1st and 10. What do you do?

1. Call play-action
    2. Challenge the outside DBs with a big bomb
    3. Run up the middle

Schottenheimer chose 3 about 99% of the time. That's where I have my problems with.