Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

That isn't the media, that is PFT. Posting PFT crap should be grounds for banning.

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Ahh, it was Jfaulk. I rarely pay attention to anything he says. You should cite your sources when referring to crazy stuff like that. Then again, Detroit does give up roughly 6 yards per when offenses run right. I'll take 6 ypc all day long if given the option.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

they got 4 sacks against chi and 7 against washington

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Very long but thanks for putting up the Lions info. It's always good to get analysis from the fans of another team. I've seen some Lions games this year but not since Spiller got turf toe. He's got potential & Lions are moving in the right direction. Was a little surprised that he lasted so long in the draft.

As for your qb: Do you feel that he's brittle or victim of a bad line or just unlucky?

Lions DL looks good but the LB & DB (except for one CB) doesn't seem so hot. Would you agree with this assessment on your team's defense? Do you think the Lions will try to stack the box or play straight up this upcoming game?

Thanks for posting & welcome to the Jets boards :)

#204 ajax, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

It's Jahvid Best, not Spiller :)

I don't think the QB is brittle. He's gotten his ass handed to him in games and been just fine. Just a monstrous hit in the Cleveland game and then an unblocked assault from J. Peppers.

LB are definitely shaky. Hopefully having Levy and Peterson together for the third time this season will add up to a little consistency with their group. But again - Bobby f'n Carpenter.

The secondary is benefiting from the DL, but Houston has a bad habit of not turning his head around and Spievey (who will be starting at safety) is a rookie trying to learn a new position.

I believe the D will play straight up. LT is rejuvenated but our coaches trust the front four up front. There will be some blitzing but it comes (60%) mostly on 3rd down. They do employ an odd looking 3 - 4 look where KVB or Suh will line up behind a three man front and then pick their own lane and I suspect you'll see some of that this week again.

Thanks for the welcome. Cheers (hey it's happy hour somewhere in the world!).

6. Gator

Gator Active Member

Pace has been kinda quiet since coming back....meaning a few plays in the backfield are coming for sure.

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Paec doesn't look completely healthy, and I think he, moreso than even a guy like Revis, is key to the Jets defense. If we could get pressure just sending the 3 lineman and either Pace or Taylor, our D would truly become unbeatable.

8. emania55

emania55 Member

yes but you're 27th in ppg against. we're 2nd that's the only d stat that matters.

9. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

For your consideration, three weeks ago the Rams held CJ to just 4 catches for 54 yards. The Lions were still able to put up 44 points.

Before you reply to flame me, please read this disclaimer: I am NOT trying to say that the Rams D = the Jets D. I am trying to say that the Lions, unlike previous years, have more weapons than just CJ. Shutting down CJ does not mean shutting down the Lions O.

10. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Well 2nd in ppg against doesn't really matter when you score zero points :)

11. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

We beat the Rams in their first run to the SB with Warner. That was the highest moment the Lions fans have had in YEARS! We were top of the league after beating the Rams.

12. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

And I agree with RedRampage. While the offense is certainly not the same without CJ, there are still plenty of other guys to account for.

13. emania55

emania55 Member

but none of the stats you wrote mean jack shit when you're 2 and 5.

still think this is going to be a close game you are better than you're record.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

especially when their 2 wins were against juggernauts like the Rams and Skins. :rolleyes:

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

there are outliers with every statistic ... keep hope alive tho

16. Gator

Gator Active Member

Taylor is not even getting close, which worries ya. Seems he has free reign to line up wherever he feels is the best route to the QB and he's coming up empty

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

touche - lol.

18. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

No question. That's entirely what I've observed watching them. I think it comes down to really poor play by the LBs.

A DL tries to stop the runner at the line because that's where they are. But if a runner breaks through the line, the LB are the next level of defense and are the ones who stop you in the 2-4 yard range. If you get past the LBs then you get 5+ until the secondary can get you.

The problem with the Lions is that the LB are out of position or poor at tackling. That means if they are in place to hit the runner, the tackler only slows 'em a bit or gets dragged for 3 yards. If they are out of position the runner gets 3-5 yards before the LB and get to 'em.

Hopefully having Levy back at MLB will help with this problem. I certainly seemed to help against Washington, but we all know that the 'skins /= the Jets.

19. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

lol @ telling me stats don't mean anything directly after quoting ranking stats for ppg against to me.

And yes, there are certainly stories behind all the stats Sanchise. Looking forward to Sunday for sure.

20. emania55

emania55 Member

i was just responding to rex's comment on our defense.