Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Was surprised to see on MNF that Chad is the most accuracte quarterback in NFL history. I knew he was accurate but wow.

2. Gator

Gator Active Member

I always wonder nowadays if the guy on the headset into the QBs helmet can yell 'Watch your back!' when someone is coming from the blind side. Maybe some prearranged word would be quicker and the QB can do a spin to get outta getting pummeled.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They probably do something like that.

Of course in O'Brien's day there was no headset.

The guy sending in the signals could only flail his arms but that wouldn't have worked anyway.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The problem was Toon used to go deep, too. He didn't go deep much after '86. Then when O'Brien got Rob Moore in '90, we didn't see him go as deep as often as he would after '92.

And yet, he still hung onto the ball too long.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought they mute the headset during plays.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No, they don't do anything like that. The headset gets shut off with 15 seconds left on the play clock

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I disagree, Chad was also physically tough. This was a man who came back and played w/ a torn rotator cuff and then a year later after reinjuring it he came back into the game. That's physical toughness, he had some injuries that made him miss seasons but it wasn't like he was brittle and was barely getting hit and missing games. His wrist was jammed into the turf in '03, he shoulder was slammed into the turn multiple times when he hurt his shoulder. he was/is a tough player.

he got sacked so often b/c he took the sacks, we had good OLs in those days. he held onto the ball looking for big plays.

Chad had an incredible stretch in 2003 when he came back from his wrist injury and then in 2004 he was off to a great start until he injure dhis shoulder. nothing changed him after the raider playoff game, he had a bad game in his first road playoff game- that's all it was.

Comp % and accuracy are 2 different things. He's the most accurate comp % wise but when you don't throw down the field often your % should be high.

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

cool info. thanks for the post. Was trying to pull this info. from google but you saved me some time :)

===
    As far As Pennington having the highest % ... I'm shocked. Figured it would be a west coast qb, with all the short passes. Or maybe even one of the few run & shoot qb who've played in the NFL. Those offenses used short passes as runs.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I was careful not to attack you personally, but took issue with your positions. There is a difference, if you can't tell, between that and what you posted.

Aggreeing with junc merely means you are agreeing with someone who is always wrong. Show me how I am misinformed. Otherwise, you lose.

I did not decide you wrote something other than you did. I already addressed this. I responded by pointing out the factors you did not consider. You have no reading comprehension, apparently.

10. James Hasty

11. James Hasty

In 1991 O'Brien went to the pro bowl. In 1992 Bruce "the genius" Coslet decided that Browning Nagle should be the starter.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Put O'Brien behind todays O-line and he's Marino.

13. Big Blocker

I didn't miss any point. Look at the stats. Yes, concededly his interception ratio for 86 was his highest, and it went down in 87. But 86 was something of an aberration coming after a low interception ratio in 85, and his 86 ratio was approached quite closely in 89.

I also never said he was as productive of touchdowns after 86, but that's not all on him.

In any event, Chad had his ups and downs, too, and this is about a comparison of them.

I see you did not dispute my analysis of Kenny's comparison to Chad on YPA, either. Good.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he made the PB b/c 9 guys pulled out. he threw 10 TDs, 11 INTs and led us to an 8-8 record. He obviously was not a PB caliber QB.

15. Big Blocker

You also ignored that I showed how O'Brien's sack rate for 84-86 was not significantly different from Ryan's, and thereafter Ryan's drop in that stat was accompanied by an increase in his interception ratio.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'll buy this, Walker was an amazing deep threat. O'Brien used to be able to put the ball way out in front and very high, so once Walker got past his man he could locate the ball and run under it. If you watch that clip you'll see some examples of it, especially the 95-yard TD at Buffalo late in the 1985 season and I think there's one from the Atlanta 1986 game on that clip, too.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I did not yet fully examine that post. I will give it a proper exami.ation tonite and will let u know whether I disagree or not. As for James hasty talkin abour KO's 91 PB I will have something to say about that, too.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I see I will have to pull out of all other convos and focus solely on this thread. A ton of miscommunication in this one.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This brings back the point that O'Brien was given great receivers to work with while Pennington did not.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That wasn't Chad's game, he was a different QB, what he did worked for him. I think losing Coles after 2002 was a blow, that was his go-to guy. Chad still put a good 2004 together pre-injury, and even post-injury to a lesser degree with who he had, mostly Santana Moss who was in and out of the lineup a lot.

Walker and Toon when O'Brien had them were the best WR combo I've ever seen on the Jets, granted I'm not old enough to have seen Maynard and Sauer. Throw in Mickey Shuler and you've got yourself a passing game. Show me any Jet WR tandem since Walker/Toon that even approaches tham, I don't think there is one. On paper Edwards and Holmes have a chance, Keyshawn and Chrebet were good for a few years but I'd take Walker/Toon over them easily.