Two Interceptions/Pereira is a joke

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crutchfield, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

I'll give credit to the Packers for playing agressively. But in no way in hell are those two plays int's/fumbles. The NFL is so screwed up with trying to defend their bad calls , that there's no logic anymore in calls or reviews. Get rid of the lawyeresque crap in the review process and start using common sense and everyone will be much happier.

You might as well add this to the ruleboook :This play can't be reviewd because it's the 3rd Sunday following the last full moon. It was obvious in both cases yesterday that the Jets players were down with the ball minimally with dual possession, its the review process that has a serious flaw.

2. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Like I said earlier, it's that stupid going to the ground rule. They must maintain possession through the ground and complete the process, which is an unknown quantity of time.

In today's NFL, those plays were called correctly going by the letter of the law. Neither Jets' WR had established possession according to that rule.

It doesn't make any sense and goes against what we all have believed was a catch for years, but I imagine that's why they ruled the way that they did.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If the jets players hold onto the football we aren't having this discussion. they failed to hang on to the football.

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

They didn't lose control going to the ground though. In both cases the ball was stripped when the receiver was already on the ground.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't aware of that. Good point. :rolleyes:

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how bad the refs have been this year!

I don't remember all this bullshit last year... wow...

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Possession had been determined before the player went to the ground. He took good three steps before Cotch started to fall. Cotch tried to free himself from the defender, which resulted in him going to the ground. It was a dual possession when both players went to the ground. Once they are down, the play is over since they are both under contact. Dual possession goes into the offense's favor. Refs didn't rule dual possession, they ruled a clear int. while the defender being downed at the spot due to the immediate contact. On the contrary, play was over the moment Cotchery's knees hit the ground. At that time, it was a dual possession. Yeah, the defender snatched the ball from Cotch afterwards, but according to the rules, the play should have been over.

I may have my green glasses on, but I sure am not twisting the rules. You are neutral and I understand you are giving your opinion. Im trying to be as neutral myself. I hated the Pittsburgh TD call last wk, but defended the review. I hated these int calls, but would defend the review outcome. Im just saying thats something NFL has to change, and probably will change. NFL can't change what happened in Miami/Pittsburgh's game cuz they blew the whistle. Here, that was not the issue.

8. DisgruntledLionFan

It was talked about after the CJ non-catch in week 1 where it would be a smart play for a defender to knock the ball out while the WR was still on the ground.

I never thought they'd go as far as letting the defense strip the ball away before the WR could "show the referee the ball."

It's one of the worst rules in the book and yesterday's game showed another reason why.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Can we trade you to Finheaven?

10. DisgruntledLionFan

I don't think steps matter anymore. In the Eagles/Lions game earlier this year, Desean Jackson also took three steps before losing possession after going to the ground. They ruled it incomplete. Calvin had two feet and then a knee, which is four steps.

Don't get me wrong, those are all catches to me.

Just giving an opinion of why they ruled the way that they did.

11. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I think the more disturbing item in this situation is the refs calling out INT's so liberally when there is absolutely no evidence of a clear catch by the defensive player.

Otherwise, they are opening up the rules of possession can of worms to a bunch of snatch and grab scrums at the end of the play, which is complete garbage.

12. DisgruntledLionFan

Then again, Colston took three steps then lunged for the pylon, lost possession when he hit the ground and they still ruled it a TD in last night's game.

What they've managed to do is to take something simple and make it extremely confusing. To be honest, I don't know what is considered a legal catch in today's game.

13. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

You guys were out of challenges on that one interception. We were fortunate enough to put up 9 points with our lack of offense.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

there is really no ambiguity in that play. it was a TD and the play over the moment the ball crossed the end zone, thus the play was dead by the time the ball came loose. I'm not sure what is questionable about that one.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

Yeah, on second look, that was a clear catch and TD.

Still pissed about that week 1 call and rule in general so it may sway other similar/not so similar plays.

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Still....a receiver and a corner go up for a ball and the receiver catches the ball. However, on the way down, or even as they hit the ground, the corner gets his hands on the ball, struggles with the receiver for posession, and rips the ball away......and THATS called an interception?

B-U-L-L-S-H_I-T........is what THAT is........

I distinctly recall them "explaining" this rule before as being that, in the case of "dual posession through down by contact " that the ball goes back to the offense. I absolutely remember. So they are really sayinng that the Refs blew the initial calls by calling them an interception to start with.

17. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

There you go.....my thoughts exactly.....

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hey JNB Sorry if you don't like to hear the facts, but thats not my problem. Our guys allowed themselves to have the ball stripped from them. That is Their fault. Its not the ref's fault.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

They did...at least through the ground and to the point that any REASONABLE person would have considered the play dead....

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

obviously not. they failed to hang onto the football, they got stripped and lost the ball. that is on them. and they allowed it to happen to them MULTIPLE times. They Failed. Stop blaming the refs.