Hypothetical Question Regarding Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I don't post here too often but I've been on here almost everyday the past 3 years reading your posts. Was just thinking about our future and how Sanchez is only in his second year, something popped in my head and wanted to get your opinions on it.

Growing up in southwest CT, the majority of my friends root for the Giants and Patriots. They knock Sanchez all the time, and had a field-year last year with his turnovers. The one thing I've always liked Sanchez for was his work ethic, I never lost faith in him and I believe he has the potential to be a QB on the level of a Drew Brees.

Here's the Question.....Not to jinx us or get ahead of ourselves, but if the Jets were to win the Superbowl this year, will that hurt Sanchez' growth in the long run? Do you guys think he will lose that drive he has to constantly improve?

I feel like if he wins us a Superbowl, then drafting him was a success. But will winning a Superbowl cost us years of security at the QB position? Just curious what your thoughts are, sorry for a somewhat long post....

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Your post was so promising with that first sentence............

3. 624

624 Banned

No.

To this point, Sanchez has shown nothing that would not cause us to believe that a big contract or super bowl win would get in the way of his hard work.

That experience would only make him better, wanting more.

4. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a real football player in this league, and especially a young one, who wins the Superbowl and then goes "Ok that was nice I'm done."

Once they get a taste of it it's like crack.

5. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I don't care. I'll take one in my lifetime.

6. steves850

steves850 Active Member

This! ends the discussion. Winning is addicting and Sanchez has the drive. He is NOT a Jamarcus Russell where he is content after getting paid. No worries.

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

if we win a superbowl...mark sanchez could have both arms taken off. i wouldnt care.

8. 624

624 Banned

I really hope we never win a Super Bowl so Sanchez keeps trying to win Super Bowls.

9. steves850

steves850 Active Member

This might have just blown my mind.

10. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Theres more to a players career than just getting to the pinnacle of the league once and then thinking their life is complete. The Hall of Fame encompasses all things great about the game and is the true aspiration for the great ones, whether they are concious of it or not. Winning the big one once just wont cut it.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

why do people think complacency exists in pro sports at the same level it does for the everyday nobody?

unfathomable.

12. steves850

steves850 Active Member

its a very small percentage but dammit it does exist fortunately those that become complacent usually have very short careers.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But never for QBs not named Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell or even Matt Leinart. I'd add Gholston but he's not a football player, he's a bodybuilder.

And you're right, those guys last for 4 years and get cut.

People in football love football, and are obsessed with it. Sanchez wasn't raised to ever be complacent. Thank Nick Sanchez for that.

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Hey, when's the last time we won a Super Bowl? In before the lock...

15. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Damn right, I'll be thanking him for the next 10 - 15 years at least.

16. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I was thinking more this way. Who cares what happens to Sanchez after we win a Superbowl.

17. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

pretty much. if anyone half asses it for us after we win a SB it would be an old vet chasing one like LT or taylor. Sanchez will wanna win one every year. ben won 2 in his first 5 years and this year he is playing his best football

18. 624

624 Banned

I know what this poster is doing.

He wanted to start with a terrible thread.

If he started with a good thread, he would never have the drive to start a good thread again...and only start shitty ones.

Therefore, starting with a shitty thread instilled a drive in him to keep getting better at thread starting.

I admire you.

19. JETS1116

Yet when players win a Superbowl on a contract year, they often sign somewhere else for the money. And to the person who said NFL players are on a different level then everyday people....NFL players are human too, its natural to settle at a level when you subconsciously feel it is adequate to get the job done.

20. JETS1116

Obviously no one wants that. The way I see it the longer Sanchez goes without winning a Superbowl, the more effort he will put in to improving himself, and we potentially could win multiple superbowls down the road with him as the QB. But yeah, as one guy said, I'm good as long as we win 1 Superbowl.

No need to be an ass with your remarks, too many people here bash others for their thoughts yet this is supposed to be a place to discuss our thoughts on our beloved team.