1986 parallel to now.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That Giant team was 14-2, no?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That Giant team got plenty of attention, our collapse seemed to get more b/c it was historic but that Giant team was expected to win the Super Bowl and they did. I think this current giant team is a bit of a paper tiger like most of their teams in recent yuears w/ the exception of that great run in 2007.

3. cat50

cat50 New Member

Classic... I remember that well and also had the AFRTS sports to rely on! Keeping track of the epic OT win over Fins was ridiculous as the reception kept coming and going!

Back on topic, I really hope the season doesn't go that way..it all went downhill with the DL injuries that year..Jenks going down did remind me. Hopefully Pouha, Devito and co keep playing well...we're paper thin after them if they go down.

4. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

All shit-ass seasons you listed there my friend. Another important note on the 2000 team, is if John Hall could kick a field goal, they beat the Lions and get to the playoffs. Instead they set themselves up having to go to Baltimore, and we know what happened.

Of course the biggest difference in my opinion from now to 2000, is that the team seems to love Rex, while that 2000 team HATED Al Groh.

5. cat50

cat50 New Member

Apologies if I'm drifting off topic...I think the offensive weapons we have now are the best we've had since 98 and 86...WRs- Walker, Toon, Sohn (shifty guy on 3rd down) RBs McNeil, Hector (great backup) TEs Shuler (not been bettered since- Keller can eclipse him) and Klever (solid backup).

Ken O gets a lack of respect sometimes...given the protection he could carve you up...anyone got the boxscore for the 62 points dumping we put on the Bucs that year?!

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

My problem with O'Brien was even with protection he never felt the rush coming and never extended the play. The play Sanchez made on 4th and 6 the other day, where he moves out a few feet and gets the ball deep to Santonio, O'Brien never makes that play. The game ends with a sack. Overall I was a huge O'Brien fan but it was so frustrating sometimes, you could see the rush coming on TV and knew the play (and often the drive or game) was about to end a few seconds before he did.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That time reminds me of how desparate a Jet fan I was.

My dad hated football, so I was relagated to trying to watch the games on an old shitty black and white TV with a little antenna attached to it. Living in NW NJ no less with barely any signal. I would try to get the radio broadcast but it was hard to find back then as well. I was so bad with so many "ants" on the screen that I could barely make out what was happening and strained to see the game with little sound or picture.

Eventually I wore him down with my constant begging to watch football on the satellite TV (Telstar 1 was the satellite to tune to back then I believe).

Now I watch on a 55" screen with Directv.

8. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

And that was Kenny O's downfall. He stayed in the pocket, got hit hard and eventually became shell shocked from all of the hits.

After that huge Miami/Jets 51 - 45 game, O'Brien was a semi-god in my book.

I had so much fun watching that team.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I left that game early when I thought it was over...got home in time to see the OBrien to Walker winning TD.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that as well. Their best win is over the Bears who just lost at home to the Seahawks. They were blown away by both the Colts and Titans. Maybe they'll be better but I see them behind the Eagles and maybe the Cowboys get their act together. Who knows with Washington but until they win a game against a quality opponent I refuse to buy in.

11. nyjunc

I think the Eagles win that division and I am not counting out Dallas. I think this week is the week they get it going. If the Giants win this week i'll be impressed. I think their best win was at Houston not vs. chicago.

12. Italian Seafood

Eagles would be my pick at this point. They have two QBs who can win, Washington isn't that good, Dallas is on life support and I'm not overly impressed with the Giants either.

13. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

My three buddies wanted to leave before the last TD in regulation, but we all came in my car, and I said I wasn't leaving!!

Didn't take long for Kenny O to hook up with Walker.

The big joke after that was that the Jets held the Phins to 45 points twice that season, and still managed to finish 1 and 1 with them.

14. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Ouch!

I hope you learned your lesson on that one Don.

15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I really like Kenny, but I don't remember as being particularly swift. I also don't think he could make a throw on the run as well as Sanchez can.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I actually think that the 2008 team reminds me more of 1986 than this year, injuries derailed both seasons

17. nyjunc

We were pretty healthy in 2008 except for the excuse for our QB. he was fine, there was an article 2 weeks ago where his teammates didn't even realize Brett was hurt. That was just his excuse, he was hurt but he was physically fine to play. he played well w/ the injury in November and couldn't in December.

18. Italian Seafood

I'd say 1986 and 2008 were reasonably similar in how the seaasons went. The difference being in 86 the start was so good we survived the late slide and got into the playoffs.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

KOB was a 1 dimensional QB and at times that was more than OK but u need a hi-level oline in front of you for success. once the jets could not replace the key OL talent thru the draft KOB became much less effective.

u folks remember mike haight - well he had back issues early on and couldn't perform up to his draft status. he told me that waltons offensive theory was simple and rarely deviated from it during a game, regardless of the opponent. what made it confusing for the players was the language in the playbook.

its a shame cause coming off of michaels the jets had a second chance to get to the dance during that 85-87 window. the first shot was derailed by shula in 83 but u still had the usual defensive guys from the early 80's and had good talent on offense - the early success in 86 proved that but was short lived. too bad the streak could not have occurred at the back end of the season.

once we got past 87 those guys started to leave, the drafts were atrocious, and walton was getting real long in the tooth for most guys.

jil

#99 jilozzo, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  20. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eh Jenkins went from unstoppable to a shadow of himself down the stretch