1986 parallel to now.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It was. I remember

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Can we draw a 1968 parallel instead?

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He was ok in the booth. Predicted a Jets TD bomb O'Brien to Toon once right before it happened, on 4th and 1. Oilers stacked the line, he said look for it and boom, TD.

I think it was Bobby Humphrey who ran back the TD vs Pittsburgh, pretty sure Harper came along later. Not sure though.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You are right, I get Humphrey and Harper confused sometimes.

5. Italian Seafood

Most of us didn't see it. If CBS had cut away to 60 Minutes before LT's TD yesterday it might have come up.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That doesn't make him any less of a dick.

7. Italian Seafood

If anything, more.

8. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

One of the most sensible posts I've seen on this board...HURUMPH!!!

9. jetsons

I was having my breakfast @ the time & I didn't wish to recollect such a memory, thx for bringing it up though :beer:

#69 jetsons, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  10. jetsons

Maybe because as a HC Walton became one of the most predictable conservative coaches I've ever had the displeasure of seeing & maybe because O'Brien's penchant for holding onto the ball too long waiting to see how many sacks his body could endure before it finally gave way.

I loved Walt Michaels...to this day I don't know the real story behind his firing...anyone out there care to elaborate.

#70 jetsons, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  11. Play Like A Jet

Someone mentioned on the radio last night that the Jets seem to dominate (or at least have dominant stretches in the regular season) every 12 years. 1986, 1998, 2010?

12. nyjunc

Don't forget about '74 and '62:grin:

13. Italian Seafood

They actually won six straight to close out 1974 after starting 1-7. That was my first year watching the Jets.

Can't help you with 1962.

14. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Good thread here. It's fun making the trip down memory lane. You guys have very good memories. I remember some of the highs and lows of that fateful season but you are shaking up memories I totally forgot.

Funny story about Walton. My friend and I spoke to Joe Klecko a few years back and asked him about Walton. Klecko, as politically correct as he could have made himself, had nothing nice to say about the guy.

15. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Attended my first live Jets game on October 12, 1986 at that dump known at the time as Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro. I was in my junior year at UMASS and went to the Jets-Pats game with a bunch of my arrogant Pats fans friends (remember, their team went to Super Bowl XX the year before...)

Anyway, it was a sunny, but slightly chilly day in October and the Jets took a sizeable lead. It looked like the Jets had the game completely under control (they built a 24-0 halftime lead), but Grogan almost rallied them with bombs to both Stanley Morgan and about a 70 yarder to Irving Fryar (who proceeded to do that stupid Pee-Wee Herman dance after he scored). Jets BARELY held on to win 31-24. Johnny Hector ran the ball 40 times in that game for the Jets (running over and thru the likes of Garin Veris and Andre Tippett). O'Brien did not play in the game (nor did Tony Eason for the Pats). Pat Ryan did a decent job managing the game. I remember cheering wildly when the Jets went up 7-0, prompting a Pats fan to say to some of his boys, "Lets take him outside and beat him with a stick." I believe this game was win #4 in the Jets nine game winning streak.

Sullivan (Foxboro) Stadium was the WORST. It was nothing more than a glorified high school field with three tiers. Traffic getting in and out of that place was a nightmare as well.

That evening we headed into Boston to see the Bruins play the Hartford Whalers at Boston Garden (another dump). Bruins won 7-1, if I recall correctly. That was my first NHL game as well lol...

FWIW, this same day the Mets lost Game 4 of the NLCS 3 to 1 against the Astros and that cheater Mike "Scuffball" Scott at Shea. (Were any of you at that game?) This game was also the same day that the Red Sox staved off elimination at the hands of the California Angels when Dave Henderson hit that two out homerun off Donnie Moore in the 9th inning of Game 5 of the ALCS.

EDIT: just found boxscore for this Jets game. Didn't realize Grogan threw for 400 yards. Here it is...
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198610120nwe.htm

#75 mrgoose, Oct 18, 2010
  16. nyjunc

I rememebr that very well, it was an amazing day of sports. I was actually in the Hospital that weekend and remember watching from my Hospital room. Jets-Pats, Giants-Eagles, Mets-'Stros and Sox-Angels- an incredible day of sports on TV.

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I was in my Freshman year at Michigan State that Fall. It's funny, you say that you were at UMass at the time. I heard that there were like crazy riots there during the Red Sox-Mets World Series. Started out as trash-talking and turned into something resembling race riots. What was that like??

BTW - I agree about Sullivan Stadium. That place was the biggest dump of a Stadium the NFL has ever seen. Kind of ironic since Gillette is one of the nicest Stadiums in the league. I remember going to games at Sullivan/Schaefer/Foxboro Stadium with about 10,000 fans in attendance. Pats did not actually have a fanbase until the early '90's.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It was a Thursday night game because I was there, I remember because I didn't have school the next day. (Is it possible there was a Jewish holiday the next day) but the game was played on 9/11/1986.

Edit: scratch that Jewish Holiday, both Yom Kippur and Rosh Hoshana fell in October in 1986.

Loking back at that schedule and results the D certainly didn't help out the offense there, they gave up 45 points or more in 3 of the last 5 games including 52 to the Bengals in the season finale.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

appreciate the comments folks - nice to look back and recall the team we were watching 25 years ago.....

one thing i forgot to mention at the top was the 86 giants. the jets got all the headlines during the regular season as the giants just plodded along to finish what 12-4 i think.

we all know what happened in the playoffs and the giants went on to win.

point is - this years giants are coming into form and it wouldn't be surprising they are right there with us in january coming off very successful regular seasons.

jil

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

:sad:

Easily one of the top three most heartbreaking season collapses for me (I'm only 25).

I'll just go ahead and rank mine:

1) 2008 (After that glorious Titans trashing, I really thought we were the team to beat in the AFC. We all know remember what happened after that . . . )

2) 2000 (I never forgave Vinny for all of the game-changing interceptions he threw as that season went on. And his performance in Baltimore on Christmas eve officially had me yearning for a new starting quarterback)

3) 1997 - To go from 1-15 to 8-4 and then lose three of your final four games and miss the playoffs by one game (including the disastrous detroit loss to end the season) . . . ouch

As for the comparison between this year's team and the 2000 Jets, in my opinion, this team is considerably more talented than that 2000 team was. And to be fair, even though that 2000 team was 6-1, they EASILY could have been 3-3 considering the miraculous comeback wins against the Patriots and Dolphins (and you could even make a case that they were lucky to win the Tampa Bay game, as well)

#80 slimjasi, Oct 19, 2010