1986 parallel to now.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this is gonna be directed at the over 40 crowd on board cause of the year named in the title.....that team put together a major 10 game W streak to get to 10-1. there were some great games in there (51-45 ot game against the fish), some dominating ones and some close ones. one issue from week to week though was the accumulating injuries that would ultimately bring an end the streak and produce 5 straight losses to end the reg season...
    the playoffs were just as crazy as they eventually lost to the browns in that epic 2OT "SOJ" thriller......

fast forward to this year and we have a 5 bagger here with no end in sight and a very accomodating schedule for a few weeks.

god willing we should be able to challenge that 86 streak if the team stays healthy and continues to exorcise the demons of the past.

i thought we would have a slow start this year and turn it on at mid season but things have come into play much faster. maybe our slow start was limited to week one.

enjoy the ride folks and lets challenge that 86 record. while the talent on the field is comparable to that squad, the present coaching staff is head and shoulders above and gives the fan mucho confidence.

jil

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

No reason why this team shouldn't get to 10-1. With games against the banged up one dimensional Packers off a bye and at home that should put us to 6-1. Then throw in Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and the Bungles that should get us to 10-1. Honestly I look at the schedule and only see two in which we could be underdogs. Kind of scary that 13-3 is a very real possibility. We should be favored against the Phins, Bears and Bills.

Like I said in the other thread mentioing 86,this team has a different mentality then the Walton team. They had a stellar D with guys like Mehl, Klecko and Gastineau at their best but the offense had guys like Walker, Freeman and Kenny O but the difference was coaching. Walton never seemed to have the confidence in his team while Ryan is full of confidence. I also think this OL is much better then that one ever dreamed of being.

#2 Barry the Baptist, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Joe Walton was a helluva offensive coordinator keeping the other teams D on their toes but as a head coach he was dull, clueless, & overly conservative to the point of nauseum. Thank GOD we have Rex...the ANTI-Joe Walton

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have 5 years to go until I'm 40:smile:

Why would you bring up 1986 w/ the way that season unfolded?

There's no doubt this team is alot better than 1986 Better OL, RBs even, better WRs, TEs even, better D. O'Brien was better than sanchez BEFORE he hurt his shoulder and he screwed that up during the '86 season.

5. Barry the Baptist

I know he should have targeted the over 30 crowd, I still have 8 1/2 years man and I remember that season vividly. It was the 1st season I do have a clear recollection of although the 1st Jet game I ever attended was when we waxed Buffalo I wanna say 84. I think it was 42-6 or something like that.

6. nyjunc

I think the Buf thrashing was 1985, I remember the '84 game being late in the year stopping a long losing streak. It was a Sat afternoon game in the 2nd to last week.

7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention that Joe Walton liked to pick his nose in front of the camera.

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. Green Bay's not going to be easy, and I could see Rodgers really hurting us, but the opportunity to move to 8-1 with a 5-1 mark in the AFC is fantastic.

It's really essential that we go into New England no worse than 9-2. New England, Pittsburgh, Miami, Chicago, and even Buffalo are going to be a real struggle. If we can be an 8-9 win team against the AFC we should have a great shot at homefield.

I don't want to look down the road too much, but the success of this season rests on getting Peyton Manning out of his air conditioned dome.

-X-

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

That was the year of the infamous "Paul Maguire" curse when he (correctly) predicted that we wouldn't win another game after we got to 10-1. It's a shame that the Jets suffered so many injuries because that was a really talented team.

10. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

'86 was injury after injury, starting late in the season. There is no comparison, yet, to this season. Every year the teams going into teh Superbowl are some of the least injured in the league.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'd rather not draw any parallels from the '86 season to this year. I'm 32 and that was the first year I watched football and became a Jets fan.

12. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The 1986 team was highly talented. There pass rush was significantly better than the current team. Overall the D was just as good as this team. Joe Walton's conservatism (2 Ken Obrien QB sneaks that didn't work) and Mark Gastineau' stupid late hit penalty kept the Jets out of the Championship game.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The 1984 home Buffalo game was the Saturday game, O'Brien's first win as starting QB, only win in the slide from 6-2 to 7-9. RichMiano was at the 1985 home Buffalo game, home opener after getting beat by the Raiders in LA Week 1. Debut of the "Tooooooon" chant and Freeman McNeil had a big game.

Regarding the 1986 team, injuries killed us on D and we were primarily a passing team. It got very cold and windy by the end of that year and the passing game shut down a lot. This year's team has a better D and running game which is more suited to the cold, same way the Giants peaked in the cold in 1986. Also, we have wins at Miami and home vs New England in the bank for tie-breakers, two games we lost in 1986, eventually lost the division title and a bye week on tie-breakers.

14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I remember that roughing the passer call on Gastineau like it was yesterday. Just want to focus on 2010 being the best year for our Jets, the one I've been dreaming of for 32 years. Go Jets!

15. Freeman_McNeil#24

I remember that season as well (i'm 38) and believe that we snuck into the playoffs despite losing to KC. I do not think our pass blocking was as good, it seemed that O'Brien was always getting sacked.

16. nyjunc

The '86 team definitely had a better pass rush w/o blitzing but those guys weren't healthy all year. Our D now is much better than that '86 D.

17. nyjunc

We made it after we lost to KC in 1982, in 1986 we lost our last 5(Cincy was our last loss) and we beat KC in the WC round at home.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan is NOT Joe Walton.

If Sanchez injures a thumb on his throwing hand, he's not going to go 4 weeks without benching him

19. Barry the Baptist

Where we would have traveled to Denver who we already beat on Monday night that season. Think about that if not for a dumb penalty we don't ever have "The Drive" although I think the Broncos would have beaten us.

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I called him Joe 2 Knuckles because he was always 2 knuckles deep.