Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We have playmakers on Special Teams already. Brad Smith does a great job on kickoff returns, so it's stupid for you to assume that Leon would automatically have 2 TDs on special teams if he were playing with the Jets.

Plus, Conner has alread proven to be a great asset in the running game, so we've already received great value for the Leon trade if you just look at the way our running game has performed.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brad Smith has been good at returning kicks but he's not leon washington returning kicks.

Again, we easily could have gotten a pick to acquire connor. The trdae was Leon for Connor it was Leon for a late rd pick.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, but he won a game for a completely different team. That's what people don't seem to understand. Just because Leon had 2 kickoff return TDs for a shitty NFC West team doesn't mean he would have done the exact same thing for us.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

There it is again. What would you do to aquire the pick exactly?

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

No, but the fact that he did the exact same thing for us for 3-1/2 seasons indicates that he would.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I don't agree. Smith has a better YPR (yards per return) and I think is a more consistent returner. He may not be as good at breaking the long ones, but I'd rather have the ball consistently at the 35 to 40 then having it sometimes at the 25 and sometimes have a TD.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Brad Smith has averaged 31 yards per return last season, and he's at 29.8 yards per return this season, which are both higher averages than Leon ever had as a NYJ. Leon does win the TD battle though, 4 to 1.

Still, Brad Smith is far from a downgrade at KR, and he's far more versatile than Leon. He's done more than Leon in the rushing game, and even has a friggin' TD pass.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Leon had ONE kick return TD in 2008, and Brad Smith had 1 in 2009. Plus, Brad Smith had a higher yards per kickoff average.

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

BUT HES NOT LEON WASHIGNTONqMGN KL;J!!

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You're right I was inconsistent with my post & just posting w/ emotion & not making sense. Let me retry ...

Leon played hard for the Jets & was a positive player on the field. Why diss the man just to make ourselves feel good about the trade? Leon overcame a big injury & is now productive. Good for Leon.

Are the Jets hurting because they need Leon? No. Jets have an awesome RB combo right now & the return game is also doing well.

Leon is on a team where he can make more of an impact (because there's less depth). Jets have a young RB with potential. Will McNight achieve this potential ..... we'll just have to wait. Whether McNight does well or not, Leon did enough for the Jets to not get dissed like he's a scrub.

#570 ajax, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

No one's bashing Leon. We're just tired of hearing that we got swindled in the trade we made.

12. nyjunc

Maybe? who knows? He migth not have helped us all year, we will never know BUT in a game like the Baltimore game where we couldn't do anything on O one play could have meant the difference.

Smith is averaging 29.8 per return, leon is averaging 40.4. #s are skewed early in the season w/ a few good returns by each gy but there's little doubt Leon is the better KR.

Brad only had 10 returns, leon has 10 this year and is averaging over 40.

Brad is better in the rushing game? leon was an excellent ball carrier for us on a consistent basis. I appreciate what Brad does but it is all out of trick play formations, leon was an excellent runner in our base formations.

1 in '08 and 3 in 2007. Smith had a higher yards per last year w/ only 10 KRs. On his other 9 KRs he averagaed 23 yards per return, on leon's other 8 returns this year he has averaged 26 yards per.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Leon had a lot of long kick returns in 2008, along with a lot of plays he broke in the running game and on screens, plus a few returns for TDs in 2007. Don't get me wrong, Smith is great too and I'd be saying the same things if we traded him for a 5th round pick. It's not like there was no room for Smith to contribute with Leon on the team, they were here together since both were drafted in 2006. The idea is to have as many great players as you can have, the Seminole formation was designed to put them out there together.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You've downgraded to the could'ves. Earlier in this thread you seemed pretty certain that Leon would've been the defining difference in the game. But you're right that the coaching staff would have obviously given their 3rd RB a shot when the opposing D-Line was shutting down their #1 and #2.

So what? Leon's numbers are skewed by those long kickoff return TDs this season. Leon was the better return guy, but the jury's still out on whether he's still better this season.

Key word: was. Leon was better in the rushing game before his injury. Brad has a higher rushing average than Leon because of those trick plays, and it's because of those trick plays that he's more explosive than Leon is this season. Why aren't the Seahawks using him more in the rushing attack if he's such an explosive player? They could have used him this weekend. Brad Smith on the other hand has been key for us this season.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I never said that I wouldn't take Leon on this team. Of course we'd have more depth with him on the team, but he'd be a waste of a roster spot, and money.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

How is this even an argument anymore? Leon's in Seattle, and we're 3-1 looking as stout offensively as we have in years. And our ST looks pretty damn good as a unit too. The team has moved on, maybe some of the fans should, too. Please?

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

[​IMG]

This thread is the biggest Debbie Downer thread of them all, yet I keep coming back in here to read it. I don't know why. The worst part is that this Leon crap is carrying over into any thread that mentions a RB.

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Leon was a great player but suffered a huge injury and we needed to spend his money in other places. If Leon was here Revis would be holding out still probably. Or maybe Mangold didnt get his extension.
    Get over Leon.

19. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

were still talking about this? leon washington threw 0 td passes yesterday.

20. nyjunc

Your reading is off again, I never said he would have have made the difference I said he could have.

Leon's #s minus the TWO TDs are better than Smith's last year minus the one TD.

Leon is just rounding back into form off a terrible injury, give the guy time. Just like McKnight needs time to be evluated so does leon post injury.