Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I got no problem with innovation but to do it when you don't have to is foolish IMO. Why not get the system downpat and running efficiently before you add wrinkles on top of sprinkles. Our guys looked completely lost out there at times before we dropped all the presnap motion. When Schotty simplifies the system, and by that I don't mean 75/25 run or pass, the offense seems to flow much much easier for Sanchez in particular. The bottom line is wins here and if after two seasons, the presnap movement produced less than the setup and execute mode, why keep doing the presnap when it doesn't work?

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is beside the point. I agree that might very well have been the straw that broke Clemens' psyche but that was one of the last games of the season. Bradway's point was that when Schotty let Clemens throw the ball around, he shredded one of the best defenses in the league. Personally, it's been a while since I watched games from '07, so I don't remember if Schotty's conservative playcalling did us in later in the season or not.

#282 GBA, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well, technically he didn't shred the Ravens but he did march the Jets on two good drives in the second half and he threw for 170+ yards in that half. He took them on 11 and 12 play 4th quarter drives for points and then he moved them in a hurry up the field on a third drive which fizzled out due to his performance as much as anybody elses. That was a Rex Ryan defense he did that against and I'm pretty sure that's why he's still a Jet.

He went from looking like a typically harried but promising young QB in his first major game experience to being a confused, inaccurate checkdown machine thereafter when the system was the rule because the Jets weren't already down big and forced to lift it for him.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I hear you, but my guess is those plays were working in practice. If they weren't, I would want to be president myself of the run him out of town committee.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Not throughout the game but he did in the 4th quarter. That third drive "fizzled" b/c a TD pass went in and out of the hands of McCareins, and was intercepted on the tip (JMac's second dropped TD pass of the drive). Not sure how that falls on Clemens.

6. Big Blocker

Bradway's point about the Ravens game was a good one. I just think Clemens lack of performance later was for reasons other than BS sucking as his mentor.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. He had McCraphands miss a ball he had no business missing.

8. Big Blocker

That play by McCariens cost the game. I completely gave up on him then. Not that I was ever a huge fan...

But the int was not Clemens's fault, although I vaguely recall Chad Fans dumping on him.

9. sg3

sg3 Banned

somebody reading this thread would have an extremely difficult time understanding that we are talking about the OC of an NFL team that went to the AFC Championship game last year and is currently in first place this season after 3 games with a 2-0 division record

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Interesting point in the King story about Sanchez. Schotty said that Sanchez came to him after the Ravens game and asked to drop the kill plays from the game plans.

The kill plays are a second play that is pre-called on every snap and that the QB has the option to use at the line of scrimmage if he doesn't like the way things are lined up against him. Heavy use of the kill plays would explain all of the pre-snap movement that happened game 1 and is no longer happening since then. If you check away from the called play then people are going to have to move to the positions called for by the new one. That would explain all the two men in motion plays.

So it's quite possible that the Ravens defense was causing Sanchez to kill plays on a regular basis and this is why all the problems were happening with penalties and letting the clock wind down too low and Sanchez generally seeming harried on the field.

The Jets offense is obviously working better with just a single play for Sanchez to execute and no wasted thought on picking between the two plays.

It's also possible that the two plays called on each down were too dissimilar to be easily substituted for one another. There's an argument that if you want the QB to change the play at the line of scrimmage it should be through quick simple adjustments. Calling a draw instead of a pass when the edge blitzers threaten or a quickout when a corner is playing too far off his man. If you're in a bad situation with a given play you want to get into a better position, not the perfect one, because sitting at bad you just want to execute something successfully.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Again it seems that everyone asks schotty to cut something out of his scheme, Brett did it, Sanchez did it, Rex did it, maybe they are onto something.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah fuckin McCareins had two drops on that drive, the last one tipped into Ray Lewis' hands in the end zone. Terrible...

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I beleive it is just the opposite, Schotty talking Rex into being more balanced. When told to be very conservative, Schotty tries to disguise plays, and that is why he istalled the kill play as well. All that movement is there to disguise a very predictable conservative game plan, which comes from Ryan.

I'm not saying he does every right, far from it, but under both Mangini and Ryan he has had his hands tied.

The guy can't win. Now that Sanchez is playing well, it's despite Schottenhiemer. If he still sucked, it would be because of Schottenhiemer. Some people will bash Schottenhiemer whether he deserves it or not. Do people really believe that the game plan against the Ravens was all Schotty's idea, all his doing? No way. Rex was afraid of his own defense. The Ravens defense.

When Schotty does well it's because of Ryan's intervention? More like when Ryan unties his hands is my opinion.

14. Big Blocker

Heh. Yesterday was a rough day for the Shotty haters. The game plan, playcalling and execution were virtually perfect.

15. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I'm not really a Schotty hater but I thought the long passes in the second quarter weren't working well at all. When those got cut out, the game went much better.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It was truly a joy to watch the Jets simply line up at the LOS and execute the play. No crazy shifting, no exotica on defense. Just straight and simple football. With this team, I still believe that the current style of play, that is line up and execute, is the best way to go. Especially until we're at full strength again.

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I thought yesterday was an absolute thing of beauty, starting with the play calling. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. That first drive they drove down the field imposing their will over the Bills setting the tone early with a good mix of run and pass. They took shots down the field to stretch the D so they couldnt commit 8 to the box every play to prevent 250 yards of rushing.

The game plan was absolutely beautiful from the first play to the last. It was exactly the type of game an elite team plays. Every play I just said to myself atta boy schotty, good play.

There were a few times in the game where I would literally think to myself "ok, but don't forget about Braylon now" and the next play would be designed for Braylon. "dont forget about Cotch" and the next play is to Cotch. "Don't forget about Shonn, he needs his carries too" and Schotty would give Greene the next drive. The O was beautifully orchestrated yesterday, using all of our weapons extremely well.

(The only play that drove me crazy was the second drive after the Bills turnover when on 3rd and 7 they called a run for LT.)

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I see that just a little differently.....

Schotty is now calling the kind of game the haters have been begging for.

No multiple shifts, Multiple Targets out in patterns, hitting the short stuff...

(and let's give the Offensive staff credit for seeing just how bad McKelvin sucks. They abused him multiple times yesterday twice for scores (double move by Braylon, then got turned around on Kellers 1st TD), and they missed one or two others)

#298 Hobbes3259, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't think it was a rough day at all, as TB put it, he did what Rex asked of him P&G and use the play action to set up 2nd and 3rd down conversions.

Maybe Rex and Schotty are finding some middle ground in their approach, they both seem to be prone to extremes in running and passing.

The one thing I took out of yesterdays game is this, we were supposed to beat them and we beat them soundly, I know we are not going to blow out a lot of the teams coming up on our schedule, however I would like them to find ways to beat the good teams like the Ravens did the Steelers as opposed to doing just enough and losing.

Also hobbes3259 took the words out of my post.

20. Big Blocker

BS had the game plan for the Ravens game that Ryan wanted. They poorly executed it. Not yesterday. Different opponent, different game plan.