Coleman Likely to Start Over Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not a Lowery fan, and imo he plays more like a safety than a corner. But that doesn't mean i think Coleman is better. The fact is they both suck.

I think this is as much to do with Wilson playing the slot better than outside. I didn't follow camp reports all that much, but it did seem like they were preparing Wilson more at nickel, playing the slot receiver. I doubt we see more of Coleman out there than Wilson, so it probably has as much to do with which receiver each covers than in Coleman moving ahead of Wilson on the depth chart.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

teams watched the BAL game and Wilson is the weak link. as long as he cant become the Exorcist and start turning his head, hes gonna get thrown on. Coleman is avg at best but Wilson looks better between the hashes for now. also Wilson didnt line up right a few times and im thinking without Revis they want the communication to be better. with a more exp player relaying with Leonhard. than again Rex will rotate em this week

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah we do. Thanks for putting things back in perspetive.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Coleman will never be anything special but he has seen the field a lot since Revis got hurt and he has held his own pretty well. This isn't ideal but we have all seen Wilson struggle with the deep routes so far this year. His best half of football came against the Pats when he was covering Welker and his quick little bullshit routes and the tight ends.

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I will simply say this: I don't think Coleman can do any worse than Wilson. And to be fair to Wilson, asking him to jump in and play #2 corner on a team EVERYONE wants to destroy isn't very fair to him. I'm ok with the move, especially since it's Buffalo, their QB is mediocre at best, and their receivers, other than Evans, aren't world beaters either.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The only things I can see positive out of this is getting Wilson time at his expected role of nickel back for when Revis returns, he will know his role. Number two, by putting Coleman in, the communication may be better as I would think Coleman knows the defensive calls better than Wilson at this point.

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Wilson's reduced role increases the chance of him returning punts on Sunday.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

It's weird. What's the deal with him returning one punt and then Leonhard doing the rest. I guess they want to limit his opportunities to limit his chances of being injured, but I'd like to see him get more of a chance.

Leonhard has done a solid, steady job though.

9. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

I think it has to do with being tired and wear and tear. starting CBs don't return punts cause there too winded by the time they get to return a punt from running up and down the field. Wilson was going to be the PR until the whole revis saga put a damper in that. now if he returns to the nickel he can return punts

10. ukilledkenny

Seems to based on field position. When the punt is likely to be close to the endzone they have Leonhard back because he isn't gonna fuck up. When they have a chance at better field position they put Wilson in and if he does make a mistake the defense will at least have a chance.

Game situation is probably taken into account here too. If the team needs a spark throw Wilson back there. If the offense and defense are rolling let Leonhard grab it and be sure things keep on rolling.

#90 ukilledkenny, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  11. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Below is what Rex thinks about Coleman. Of course the geniuses on this board that think that Coleman stinks obviously know more than Rex. They've obviously studied him during practice, etc. What a joke. Guys like Coleman can develop under great coaching. He was never a bust just a project that might make it with the right coaching. It appears that he is finally getting it. Of course the clowns that said he'd never make it know more than Rex. LOL.

On what specifically Coleman has done to earn the starting spot this week…

I just think sometimes it takes a while, but we saw signs of it last year. He stepped up and played well. I think this season he has elevated his game. He studies, he knows the defense, he knows what we expect. His coverage is tight. He is better at recognizing routes, in my opinion, and he’s playing them better. He just seems to be a more aware football player, in my opinion. He’s always had great quickness, a change-of-direction type athlete. He’s always had that. It’s just that awareness. I think he’s really dialed-in

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Maybe he's playing smarter but you can't teach talent. This is his 5th, maybe 6th year in the league (correct me if I'm wrong here). I think if he were to 'get it', it should have been 3 years ago.

13. JustBlaze330

JustBlaze330 New Member

I would think Buffalo would be a good game for Wilson to break out at. I mean, if he's going to have a break out game the bills would be the right game it seems to me.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other side of all this is the lack of pressure the Jets have been putting on the QB. Anybody, including Revis, is going to be at risk if the QB has all day to throw back there and for most of the season so far that has been the case.

Coleman is going to get burned some this weekend, just like everybody got burned some the last three weeks. Wilson would get burned also, however I think the Jets are trying to keep him from feeling too much like toast this early in his career.

The Trevor Pryce pickup was so well timed that it almost feels like Baltimore was in on the deal. Ozzie Newsome had to know what the Jets problems on defense were because the Ravens had played them and exploited them all ready. It feels a bit like he wanted the Jets pass D to be stiffer against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and he wanted a good shot at them knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs.

15. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

hearing the words "Coleman" and "Starting" is like hearing your dog get run over by a car.

16. ukilledkenny

Most of his career was spent with Mangini. We have seen a few guys who looked like scrubs under Mangini become legit players for Rex. Eric Smith and Pouha stick out the most. This is the type of move, that for me, comes down to if you trust Rex as a coach or not. I trust that if Coleman was incapable of doing the job Rex wouldn't be trusting him to do it.

17. 624

624 Banned

It is his 5th year. I'm no Coleman fan, but sometimes it just takes the right scheme/coaching staff to bring out the best in a player, regardless of how long they've been in the league.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Coleman has always been a great athlete, just small and frequently caught out of position. Hopefully he's learned the defense and knows where he should be now.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And half the time I see him try to make a tackle, he falls down and trips.

I like his speed, I like his physicality. But he's not a good cornerback. We can survive another week or two with him starting, but Revis needs to come back and stay healthy. And hopefully Wilson can step it up and keep that nickel role.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that will be the case at least for the rest of this year. If Wilson continues to struggle in press coverage, they might decide to put Coleman or Lowery in that spot especially when the call is going to be for bump and run coverage. The slot WR is not always off the LOS.