Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

who should the OC be if not BS? and why did Ryan bring him back?

the BS haters never answer these questions.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This. Lots and lots of this.

The most common answer is Callahan.

While I don't have a problem with Callahan, I think Schotty has more potential, especially if we have the receiving corps we do. Schotty designs some sick stuff for the air attack, but as abyzmul said, he tends to get full of himself and pushes too much.

With Rex pushing more conservatism, and Schotty getting the opportunity to unload more sporadically rather than every other play, Schotty's offense has the potential at elite status.

Of course, his detractors will still fire away at him and never give him any credit.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Paul Hackett circa 2002. :wink:

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I agree with you now that he's actually learning to get more underneath stuff.

I've always maintained that was the weakpoint of his game.

Nothing in the Flats, none of the 5 yard gimmes that every successful offense runs as a matter of course.

Hence my previous comment :rofl2:

5. sg3

sg3 Banned

last season Schott was hampered by being saddled with a one dimensional running game (after Washington got hurt). He had Thomas Jones who ran inside and couldn't catch passes and he had Shonn who pretty much did the same, only, thank goodness, did it vastly better once the CS finally put him in there and let him FLY.

This year with LT arriving, Schott now has a fully versatile and tremendously efficient 1-2 running back combination with Shonn providing the inside power game and LT able to get outside, catch passes and elude tacklers.

Thankfully, we no longer have to watch Jones run into the pile for 2 yards 9 times out of 10 carries and can enjoy a running game that finally opens up the passing game for the San-chize too.

And NEXT week we get Santonio back

poor rest of the NFL

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I would have to agree. It started out as loathing the guy, but its slowly becoming a love/hate thing. Love him when he's on his game, and hating him when he's not. So long as he's on more than off I can live with him. He's certainly won the respect of a few people in the organization though, and that says a lot for him.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I've already said in earlier threads that we should keep him at this point. Its a bad plan to get rid of him now after we've already invested in his offense this far. But he still pisses me off with his bullshit in games like the Ravens. He's proven either that he can be coached back to level headed play calling, or is at least learning from his mistakes. I'm willing to live with that because he is not useless and as long as he helps us win more than we lose... I'm still going to reserve the right to bitch about him when he has it coming though. :)

8. sg3

sg3 Banned

always amazing really, how fans with couches and remotes and with the help of 20/20 hindsight are aways 100 percent able to make better play calls than offensive coordinators do on the field during a game

9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself a BS "hater" and I think he actually has a lot of potential as an OC (with a 4+ year learning curve), but I'll admit there are times he frustrates me to no end. That being said... why exactly do "BS hater" need to answer those stupid questions?

If BS weren't the OC Rex would pick someone he trusts to run the offense.. someone he's a lot more familiar with than the fans are - probably Callahan. And Rex brought BS back to keep the offense consistent while he completely reworked the defense.

Now that I've answered your riddles, is it ok for me to resent BS next time he calls a bad games?

It is amazing. Especially since they spend all week looking at film and have the playbook right in front of them, and we don't.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's the reverse for me. I started out liking him after the Jets offense didn't stink in 2006 the way it had in 2005. The dead games he's called where the Jets were just DoA because the offense could never get rolling or he inexplicably turned 320 rushing yards into 13 pts have removed that admiration effectively.

The first thing to realize about Schotty, and it's really important, is that he can take something that is working well and shut it down totally. A healthy Chad Pennington has always been money in the bank and 10 wins or so, usually with a trip to the playoffs involved. In 2006 he looked about as bad as he can look but the offense held it together somehow and got to the playoffs. In 2007 he was terrible, missing all the reads downfield, checking down like a robot and never failing to throw the key pick when it would kill the Jets. If you sum up the two seasons, 2006 and 2007, you get the worst span of Chad's career and it happened in the first 24+ games that Schotty was calling the Jets offense. Chad of course is very good at what he does and as soon as he got to Miami he had the best full season of his career, because he didn't have Schotty holding him back.

Kellen Clemens got thrown into the fire against the Ravens in 2007 and after a little initial hesitation the Jets opened things up for him in the second half, abandoning the gameplan and letting him go straight vertical and he nearly brought them back against one of the best defenses in the league. That was the last time Clemens ever looked good enough to play QB in the NFL, because after that he got enough time in the classroom for Schotty to accidentally turn him into a blank. The win in Tampa Bay last year was pure ground and poiund and take no chances.

The thing that's really scary about Schotty is that people think that he's good at what he does, when the evidence in fact shows that he's absolutely not good at it. There's been a lot of talent on the Jets offensively over the last few years and yet the team has continually had funk games when it couldn't do anything effective on offense.

This is not just Favre getting hurt at the end in 2008. The Jets scored 10 point against the Patriots in the Meadowlands in week 2 that year and 13 points against the Raiders in Oakland. They scored 13 points in Oakland 3 weeks after scoring 56 points against the Cardinals. This was not a rookie QB getting cold feet here and suddenly unable to produce. This was an offensive coordinator who could not figure out for his life what to call to beat two very beatable defenses. Those games were the reason the Jets missed the playoffs, the Favre injury at the end was just the icing on the cake. The Jets had already lost two games in which the opponents combined for 35 pts.

Why did the Jets hold things together last year at the end and get lucky and make the playoffs? Because Schotty effectively had the offense taken away from him and the Jets played one of the simplest schemes you possibly can.

His standing in the organization is hard to fathom given that he has run two respected vet QBs out of town and failed to develop a high draft pick despite having several years to do so. If Sanchez succeeds it will be despite Schotty not because of him. Lucky for us it's looking like Sanchez is a special enough talent that even a boy genius offensive coordinator who has never produced anything of real value can't sink him.

11. Big Blocker

Stupid questions you proceeded to attempt to answer. They were not stupid. THE relevance of the second one is a mix of how we all love Rex but some here think it incredibly stupid that BS came back. Who decided he would come back? Rex. I figure Rex sees something the BS haters don't. And if you have a problem with his coming back, your problem is with Ryan's decision to bring him back. Your problem is really with Ryan.

THe first question alludes to the fact that you can complain all you want about the OC, but to go the next step and say he should be fired requires some analysis of why someone else, and who else, would do better.

Callahan I think does a good job for the Jets. But he has a history that is classic Peter Principle at work. He took an up and coming team groomed by Gruden to the SB where they totally crapped the bed and he was out of a job less than a year later, and out of the league. He couldn't even stick as HC at a college, albeit a good one. Tells you something.

He came back in his current capacity, essentially supervising the running game. How would he handle a promotion back up to OC? In Oakland he was working for an offensive minded, and imo excellent, coach in Gruden. It's pure speculation how well Callahan would do as OC under Ryan.

And as Alio pointed out, when people do get around to talking alternatives, Callahan's name is pretty much the only one mentioned. But what was to stop Ryan from firing BS and promoting Callahan ? Nothing. Callahan is already under contract to the team.

Yet Ryan didn't do that, so refer back to the above.

12. Big Blocker

Bradway,

Regarding Clemens, what really turned it for him was when he got creamed and out of the game against NE due to a turnstyle having Bender's name and number on it.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

BB, here's a question for you. Why is that we always start out with all the presnap movement trying to create matchups when all we really accomplish is confusing our own guys who have practiced this all week? Schotty inevitably does this, then abandons it when he realizes the defense isn't buying into it and the system bogs down. Why does it always have to happen before he simplifies the gameplan and the Jet offense takes off? That's my beef with him BB. Sometimes he takes something and overcomplicates it to the point that its no longer operationally sound. It's just frustrating as all hell especially after several seasons of repeating the same thing with the offense.

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Exactly how I feel about Schotty. He is a good coach who sometimes gets to wrapped in some of the crazy sutff he comes up with. I don't see why it's such a bad thing to have Rex telling him which plays he likes and which plays he hates going into every game after seeing the offensive gameplan for a week.

15. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

So was Adrien Clarke wearing Jacob Bender's name and number to avoid taking the heat? That clever bastard. It's no wonder Bender was cut.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The simple answer to this is that if you create an elaborate offensive system that is supposed to create mismatches and give the QB a lot of information about the coverages before the snap then you really have to run that offense as your primary option on game day.

The question of whether or not the offense actually works is an open question given that it misfires fairly often and the teams that have tried to run it have been mostly nothing special on offense.

There are many ideas in life that are theoretically sound but fail due to the inability of people to live up to them when push comes to shove and life happens. The New Soviet man and Brian Schottenheimer's offense are two of these.

17. Big Blocker

If it was Clarke, my mistake, but that's not the point.

18. Big Blocker

I don't blame him for trying things out. Trying new things complicates what you have been doing, but if you don't try new things you become too predictable.

It's a balance, a fine line.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Really man? Really?

I won't even go through the rest, but who exactly did Schotty drive out of town?

Chad Pennington? The oft-injured QB who became a high-cost backup when Favre came to town?

Brett Favre? The oft-indecisive QB who we know in hindsight only came here as a means to his own end of joining the Vikings?

Come on man. You're better than that. Darksiding is one thing, but you're resorting to flat out making things up now.

20. Big Blocker

Rough season so far for Bradway.