Cromartie vs. Marshall- One of Sundays Big Matchups.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Miamipuck, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

For all of you guys worrying about Marshall and Cromartie, please read the following. Here is the breakdown by Tim Graham who writes the AFC East blog for ESPN. I think you can see according to the #'s this match up is not lopsided by any stretch. Surprisingly, Cromartie has more than held his own:

Link To Tim Graham's AFC East blog.

By Tim Graham
    New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis could miss some games because of his left hamstring. Those injuries are tricky for any player, let alone one who plays a reactionary position and must be able to stop, start, pivot, accelerate and brake with the receiver he's guarding.

If Revis can't play against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, then a pair of familiar faces likely will square off in Sun Life Stadium.

Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall and Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie probably will renew their old AFC West rivalry. They're both physical and athletic, and they have a history.

Marshall had a gargantuan game against the Cromartie and the San Diego Chargers in 2008, but Cromartie generally has held his own.

In the two seasons since Cromartie's fantastic 2007 All-Pro campaign -- a period when many observers cited a substantial drop in his play -- he has done a good job handling one of the NFL's most dangerous receivers, according to research by ESPN Stats & Information.

Brandon Marshall vs. Antonio Cromartie
    2008 Game Targets Catches Yards TDs
    Week 2 5 4 43 1
    Week 17 2 1 9 0
    2009 Game Targets Catches Yards TDs
    Week 6 2 2 22 0
    Week 11 0 0 0 0
    Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Marshall went bananas against the Chargers in Week 2 of 2008. Jay Cutler targeted Marshall 20 times. They connected for 18 receptions, 166 yards and a touchdown.

Cromartie defended Marshall on five of those plays. Marshall had four catches for 43 yards and the touchdown, a 6-yarder.

Since then, the Chargers kept Marshall in check. His best day was six catches for 55 yards.

In their past three meetings, Cromartie has been targeted only four times. Marshall has three catches for 31 yards and no touchdowns.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

3 catches 42 yards...0 td. One PI/holding/illegal contact call.

3. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

cromartie will need some safety help but his talent combined with henne's inability to throw the ball and the dolphins lack of any other recieving threat should help the jets keep him in check

he may not be shut down totally like revis would but i have faith in cromartie

4. nexteyenate

nexteyenate Member

Predictions for how many interceptions Cromartie will get in this game? I say he gets at least one. Maybe two considering how much Henne will probably try to force the ball to Marshall.

5. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

the best defense vs marshall will be a relentless pass rush, with revis out i expect rex will try to put a ton of pressure on henne

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

They have Bess and Hartline. They are the best WRs in the NFL behind Marshall. Just ask anyone on fagheaven.com

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

What the hell dude? I went there and they weren't saying ANYTHING about the dolphins, bess, or hartline?!?!

8. 624

624 Banned

Well obviously he was kidding, why would your homepage be about the Miami Dolphins?

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I really don't think this matchup matters. Chad Henne has yet to prove himself, so until he proves he can pass Brandon Marshall is just a side thought.

10. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

:beer: Well played.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

My biggest concern with this match-up is Cro tackling Marshall. He makes most of his yards after the catch and is difficult to bring down. We need to see him wrapping up instead of that old shoulder throw we've seen too many times already.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Marshall will get his yards, all good WRs will. We need Cro to limit the big plays and keep him out of the endzone... I'd be more worried had the Miami pass attack looked better in the first 2 weeks.

13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Your concern will be your solution. Marshall gets mos of his yards AFTER the catch.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He will get his catches. If you think Cro is shutting him out your expectations are probably too high.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

^3 catches 42 yards.

16. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I think the tackling is a good point, Cro is not a physical man

17. 624

624 Banned

Wilson: 25 reps at combine

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And not afraid to tackle.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Well said. More than in Cromartie I have faith in him + a Physical FS like Pool or Smith. With Safety help on the guy I'm sure he won't be ale to do much run after the catch :)

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

henne and marshall haven't developed much chemistry yet.

Not to mention Henne isn't really the most accurate passer.

Cro might get burned once, very likely on an attempted tackle...but i don't anticipate his production to be game changing. Aside from henne himself, the real problem is they don't have anyone else to draw coverage away from Marshall.

Bess and hartline are #3 receivers at best. and fasano is not jason witten

except for some gimmicky wildcat plays that might catch us off guard once or twice, i really expect us to bring their offense to a virtual stop. Their offensive line isn't as good as it was early last year and their running game is not the threat it was early last season. Our improved run defense will play a big factor in neutralizing them.

I just find it impossible to see a repeat of what happened last year. We got KILLED by poor tackling that first game. basic fundamental stuff. I really expect us to win in impressive fashion.

although it's lol to say this...This season will be the curse of Ted Ginn for the dolphins against us. its the only games of the season he decided to show up for. trading him was a mistake...not against the rest of the league, just us for god knows what reason.

#20 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010