Should the Jets bench Braylon for his Alleged DUI?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pats-hater, Sep 21, 2010.

?

Should the Jets sit Braylon Edwards?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2010.
  1. Yes, the Jets should sit Braylon for at least one game.

32.9%
  2. No way in hell should the Jets sit Braylon for any games.

54.4%
  3. The Great American will not vote on this poll because he knows nothing about the Jets or Braylon.

7.5%
  4. I like beer.

27.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

Perhaps you missed this:

Why not delay it and allow the league and the law to deal with the issue? I felt benching him for a game was the right move if the Jets couldn't save face any other way, but doing so would actually make the issue drag on LONGER as a team concern, and would be a distraction for a longer period of time. They're doing the right thing.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...on_field_OXslIri2CEijYpMf1CxUUL#ixzz10Gk8y03R

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yeah, this is a petty issue. The man only could have killed innocent people but it's ok there are more important issues:rolleyes:

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

you could kill innocent people driving to the supermarket tomorrow

Enough of this coulda woulda shoulda crap

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You could kill innocent people every time you get in your car. He didn't.

Driving drunk is stupid, but killing someone and driving drunk are two different things.

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

Lol jinx....

6. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

He didn't kill anybody.

He was on his personal time.

How does suspending him from playing prevent this from happening again?

It is a legal issue. Not the team's issue.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I hope everyone playing the he could have killed someone card has never done any of the following while driving a car.

Talked on a cell phone
    sent a text
    ate food
    looked around for a cd
    turned around to yell at the kids
    went over the speed limit

you could kill people anytime you do any of these things and occasionally they do result in death or injury. usually they result in nothing and nobody thinks anything of it.

8. ........

........ Trolls

No, but driving drunk absolutely makes you more likely to kill someone, unless you believe that 32% of all people on the road at any given time are drunk. That's the percentage of fatal crashes that are caused by alcohol. Oh, and don't believe the horseshit that ShadeTree and BigBlocker were peddling yesterday. I did some looking into the government numbers yesterday. Unlike what 'that guy with the tripod page' asserted, an alcohol-related accident means that SOMEONE involved has a measured amount of alcohol in the blood. It CAN NOT mean that there was 'an empty can around'.

As far as 'well, that could be cough syrup', which the guy also mentioned, the government makes a distinction between alcohol-related (which could be a minor amount) and alcohol-caused (a significant amount of alcohol in the blood). The numbers drop from 15,387 fatalities which are alcohol-RELATED to 12,998 which are alcohol-CAUSED. That's a far cry from the number of 500 that guy was trying to push. 12,998, which is the 32% of all fatalities, is the number of people who were over the legal limit when killing someone. I tend not to believe that 32% of all drivers are over the legal limit while driving, so there's most certainly a strong correlation.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's amazing to me how we look the other way when "our guys" do something wrong.

I could kill someone in my car driving today but the odds are increased dramatically if I am drunk while driving. I hope you aren't teaching your kids these lessons.

10. ........

........ Trolls

The total of ALL non-alcohol distracted driving fatalities was 5474 last year. That's well under half of the fatalities that involved alcohol. I certainly hope you're not equating the two. A MUCH higher percentage of people do those things than drive drunk, and yet the numbers are 65% less than those of alcohol-related fatalities. I agree that those things are horrible driving practices, but none of them even come close to drunk driving, and the numbers back that up.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yeah great message, sit him for the div leaders game. That message may get through to the MINORITY that may be a bit immature, but that message to me as a fan just smacks of dumb-ass.

12. jets_fan_in_fishtown

and out of those fatalities, how many were actually the drunk driver themselves?

13. ........

........ Trolls

There's a difference between looking the other way and wanting our team to get itself into trouble by overreaching its ability to deal with the situation. If Edwards gets into trouble and serves a sentence in the offseason for violating his probation, I'm sure as hell not going to complain. He fucked up. However, it's not the team's responsibility to deal with this, as clearly outlined in the CBA. THAT was what made me change from 'bench him against Buffalo' to 'let him play'.

14. ........

........ Trolls

As opposed to what, a drunken pedestrian? I don't have that number, but are you really going to suggest that a high percentage are going to be caused by a drunk pedestrian and a sober driver?

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The numbers are bullshit with stuff like distracted driving. How many idiots have had an accident because they were talking or texting or doing something else and then when asked if they were doing any of those things said no? I don't mean to say that eating a burger while driving is as bad as being drunk while driving just that they both COULD result in killing someone. luckily the penalty for these things isn't based on what could have happened.

Drunk driving is certainly worse and that is why it is punished more severely in the legal system which is where this matter belongs.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Can't speak for everyone else, but the feeling I get on here is YES he should be punished, not the team and its fans.
    Of course DUI is wrong, but I'll bet nearly every 'drinking' adult on this site has at some point got into a car, on a MC, a bike or even a horse after a couple. Maybe even over the limit as well.

1989, the day before I emigrated to Aus, I had a leaving party and on my way home got a pull by the pigs , ooops sorry Police. By the grace of god I passed a breathalyser, not only was the cop surprised, but me as well. That was the last time I have ever driven/ridden with a drink inside me , lesson learnt.
    Braylon at some point will learn this lesson, but only after a close call or education. Maybe he should vist a mortuary or an A&E Saturday night.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't dispute any of that, and obviously driving drunk increases your chances of causing an accident. That doesn't mean driving drunk and killing someone are one in the same as many people seem to be implying.

18. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I think he was asking how many drunk drivers survived in accidents in which they killed others.

I have always found it to be sick irony that the drunk driver usually survives.

19. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

This argument is amazing. It is all over the place.

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

I'm suggesting that those numbers are not truly indicative or accurate because it's such
    a blanket statement.

how about other variables such as vehicle safety, not wearing a seatbelt, driving on the highway?

There's no doubt that idiots get in their car unable to function and put many peoples lives in danger. but what percentage of that is of the people who actually drive after drinking?