Braylon Edwards Future ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

With Braylons second major strike and history of poor decision making (ie being with Stallworth right before he murdered a man) this obviously hurts Braylons trade value as well as the money he could be making.

Does this incident make him more or less likely to be a Jet next year ? I mean it definitely guarantees he wont be making as much money as he could of which makes him more signable, and it lowers his trade value so it could be far more difficult to tag and trade him.

But on the other hand does this mean were more likely to just get nothing in return for him and that he will be gone after this year and well get zilch. Basically turning him into a year and a half rental for a 3rd and 5th round pick ?

And finally if Braylon somehow ends up getting a suspension that doesnt
    begin until next season(barring the outcome of his delayed trial) do you think that would further increase or decrease the odds of him being a jet ?

Figured all the other threads were mostly about his suspension/playing against the fins, so might as well have something to speculate about how this will all effect his career as a Jet

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Braylon has 0 trade value. He will be a UFA after the season I believe. And with the hopes of Holmes being great, the team will let him walk.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah...i didn't think the competition for a long term contract between Holmes and Edwards would be over after week 2.

But i really think Edwards shot himself in the foot with this one.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

If he is resigned in the offseason, it probably will be on a short term, 2-3 year deal for probably around, if not less than what Cotch makes.

I would like to see him back regardless of the DUI if its financially ideal for the team. Its not like we havent had guys with DUI's on the team before, John Abraham. Ellis got a DUI for pot, and a possesion charge on top of that. NFL players do stupid shit, doesnt mean we don't want them on our team any more. The guy proved he can be a dominant player on sundays just 3 days ago. In my eyes, thats the guy we want on the team. We knew he did stupid shit when he drink, he punched lebron's buddy after knocking back some.

DUI is a terrible offense, and deserves jail time IMO, but it doesn't always end up that way. If he is going to be playing in the NFL next year, I would rather have him with the Jets than elsewhere (supposing we can keep Holmes as well).

#4 nyjetsrule, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Braylon just drank his way out of New York. Cimini also reports that he missed some off season workouts. Unless Holmes f's up he will be the receiver the Jets keep long term.

Edwards cost himself millions with his poor judgment.

6. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Jets will sign Holmes and Let Edwards go, that is why they are not suspending him, If the NFL takes action it will probably happen next season when he is another teams problem. Holmes is a much more dynamic receiver anyway, just have to make sure he stays straight, which might be a lot to ask for.

7. 624

624 Banned

As of now it looks like Holmes, but he's been known to fuck up off the field as well.

It'd be awesome to be able to keep both of them, but it is almost guaranteed not to happen with our current offense. It'd be a waste to pay 2 top receivers in a run first offense, especially with Cotch still here.

Edwards is mad talented though so I won't rule him out yet.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I don't care.

He's not as dynamic as people think. Holmes is. I'd rather keep him.

Braylon can be resigned, but he's going to be fucking cheap as hell. I was never a huge supporter of the trade.

Santonio will take a lot of $ to resign.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This coming contract was supposed to be his big pay day in the league. Good luck with that.

Braylon lost at least 15 million, maybe more.

The only way I see him with the Jets is @ a significant discount and even that would be debatable. If Holmes keeps his nose clean, the big contract is his.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well with the nfl being a pass heavy league, and the Jets still struggling in the passing game dont you think Tanny would try to get Braylon for a bargain ?

I mean if we could sign Braylon for a mid $$$ contract (somewhere in the 4-6 million $ range) it would obviously GREATLY benefit Sanchez.

Outside of this incident Braylon really has shown everythings he got for this team, and he bust his ass off on the field whether hes breaking up balls that should be intercepted, or blocking down field .

Obviously theres NO chance hes a jet making top reciever money, but im really hoping we can keep em for a bargain. Especially since were already short draft picks next year and have some big needs @ OL/DL/OLB I dont think we can afford to draft a WR even remotely early.

11. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

I always figured we'd keep Santonio for the long haul, but if anything good comes of this, hopefully it drops Edwards' value down to the point where we can afford to keep him too on the cheap

12. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

It is an unfortunate situation, but ultimately it could benefit the Jets. His asking price just got a lot lower, and it isn't entirely impossible that we could now sign both Holmes and Edwards.

13. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

they def should keep braylon

sure he fucked up

but he has very good chemistry with sanchez and he is a legit deep threat who can also make tough catches

frankly the jets should keep both but i doubt that happens

14. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

I think a lot can change; if Braylon is the force who helps us lock up a #1 or #2 seed down the stretch, they'll forget all about this. But he's going to need to bring it from here on out and keep his nose clean.

He is on the verge of throwing his NFL career away; not just his Jets career lets get serious

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Unless Edwards wins us a Super Bowl..We are going to try and sign Santonio over him guaranteed

16. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

yeah, I think Braylon will be at a discount for a new contract no matter where he goes. So there's a possibility the Jets can sign him at a discount. If not, I don't think we'll be eager to keep him. Definitely not over Holmes if Holmes can stay clean.

17. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

odds are braylon is with the jets next season is around .16%. hehehe

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

stupid thread. the Jets aren't trading him this season so trade value is irrelevant. and if he plays the rest of the season like he did last week, he's going to get paid. the idea that he won't have value, even if he performs, simply because of this incident is beyond fucking stupid. his value will be based on how well he plays this season, of which we are only two games in.

19. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Sources say there is a .08% chance of Edwards staying with the Jets next year.

So you're saying there is almost twice as much chance of Braylon staying?:lol:

20. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I didn't know Braylon was with Stallworth that night he murdered someone until this afternoon. You have to be a total scumbag to drive drunk after being with someone on a night like that. Leonard Little anyone?

I'm assuming that at 225 lbs or so, it probably takes at least 12 drinks over a 6 hour period for him to blow such a high BAC. On a night you are behind the wheel, that's about 8 too many. Totally wreckless. I don't blame Brick for this, but I really expected more from him. He puts on a good show I guess.