Should the Jets bench Braylon for his Alleged DUI?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pats-hater, Sep 21, 2010.

?

Should the Jets sit Braylon Edwards?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2010.
  1. Yes, the Jets should sit Braylon for at least one game.

32.9%
  2. No way in hell should the Jets sit Braylon for any games.

54.4%
  3. The Great American will not vote on this poll because he knows nothing about the Jets or Braylon.

7.5%
  4. I like beer.

27.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 624

624 Banned

If they crashed the car Gholston could've pulled a Michael Oher and "stopped the car"

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

No way braylon was going to let him drive his range rover.

he would have completely misjudged the angle of a turn and hit a telephone pole

3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I say yes, as in Braylon's own words no one player is greater than the team. This was a selfish, hypocritical act committed by one player that may have dire consequences for the entire team. Braylon will need to learn that he is part of a whole & not the whole of a part.

#103 jetsons, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Yes, I see no other way around it. He had options, some program that would help him in that situation. But even if there wasnt a program to pick up players, there are hundreds of cabs surrounding him that he could of easily taken. Instead he ignored those options, especially the teams program and drove off drunk. He got caught and in my opinion, should not only miss a game but also be fined.

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

If we weren't so thin at WR and had Holmes back, I'd vote yes. Unfortunately, we don't have Holmes back and Edwards is on my fantasy team, so I voted no.

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The man's gotta sit a game. Professionalism over competition.

7. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I think what he did was stupid as hell, so I voted "I like beer" WHILE I SIT HOME ON THE COUCH WATCHIN THE JETS GAME!!!!!!!!

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you are going to have to actually explain what you mean rather than simply throw out lame cliches, because there is nothing even remotely connected to how his behavior reflects an attitude that he is bigger than the team, so that is certainly not a criteria for punishment. this is an off field incident that has nothing to do with the team. just because he is part of the team doesn't mean every single thing he does has anything to do with the Jets.

he went out drinking. that doesn't make him bigger than the team. he committed a crime. that doesn't make him bigger than the team. neither of which will have dire consequences for the team.

having a social life off the field in no way, shape or form reflects anything about being part of the team when he is actually participating in team activities. hell, in fact he was with teammates, so it can easily be argued that there was some semblance of team in his activities and behavior.

just plain dumbfuckery throughout this thread.

9. JetBlue

the game of football is not a social lesson for children and dummies. Braylon not playing doesn't change what he did one bit, so a suspension simply for the sake of suspension beyond the requirements of the rules is simply irrelevant.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Namath will have to say about this?

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I voted no and I like beer.
    Now if your excuse me I just finished a 12 pack and have to hop in the car to go get some more.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He'll probably slur for an hour about hand position.

13. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

he cost himself money on his next contract. And you can't sit a player for something he was not found guilty of. Fine him for being arrested. But no punishment till he is convicted. This is still the US. If guilty sit him then

14. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

exactly you can not punish someone if they have not been found guilty. You can fine him for being arrested but not for drunk driving yet. You need to follow due process what if you punish him and he is acquitted. Sit tight fine the crap out of him but wait on any suspension till he is found guilty. What he did was wrong but right now all everyone knows he was arrested. What he did do for sure is cost himself money on his next contract. Do the right thing at the right time no jump right now but look at the situation investigate and go from there

15. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Sit him out one game.

16. Cameoman

Cameoman New Member

Not yet. He will be suspended after his jail time. Hasn't he been in trouble before?

CM

17. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

DUI at 5:15 am is bull. Anyone on the road between 2 and 5 have some alcohol content in them, or your money back guaranteed. This is a no call.

18. JetBlue

what would that solve even if it were possible? you don't attempt to teach him a lesson at the expense of every other player on the team. there simply is no rational reason for the Jets to enact such a voluntary punishment.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't condone drinking and driving one bit, but this is being portrayed as the crime of the century. If this happened to another athlete on another team, this is almost as after thought. This is all part of the "Jets are arrogant and undisciplined" crap we have been hearing all summer.

Edwards should be suspended when the dozens of other NFL players who have DWI convictions are suspended. When is Ronnie Brown sitting??? I agree it was a stupid, dangerous thing to do, but it should be dealt with by the NFL and the court system. Until then, Edwards plays.

As for all those who are screaming for his head, I hope none of you are the drunken fans I have seen at Jets games for the past 30 years, cursing around kids, getting in fights, coming into games late to drink in the parking lot, falling asleep during the game, puking on other people, etc and then getting in YOUR car and driving home. I don't think alcohol should be served at football games. It would improve the game experience and cut down on assinine behavior by about 1000%. How many of you who want to make an example of Edwards drink during Jets games? How many would be in favor of a complete alcohol ban during games? You realize that a .16 reading is about 2-3 drinks. Do any of you have 2-3 beers during a game??? If you oppose an alcohol ban or drink during games and drive home, you are being incredibly hypocritical.

Edwards was stupid and irresponsible and lucky. But he didn't kill anybody (how many games did Lewis miss) or beat his wife or rob a bank. He committed a crime that results in the suspension of his license and a hefty fine. Enough already. The press is making Burress and Lawrence Taylor and Jason Peters look like choir boys compared to Edwards and Jets fans are biting.

#119 Joe Willie White Shoes, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  20. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Maybe if you are female. And a Midget. And very fat. That's the combination you'd need to blow .16 after 2-3 beers in an hour. And even then I'm not sure if you'd hit .16. It'd have to be a very strong beer.

A dude who weighs 210 and doesn't have much fat should be able to drink 4-5 and fly under the radar no problem.