Braylon Edwards Arrested for DWI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoLewisSoNasty, Sep 21, 2010.

1. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

How does everyone know that this is his first SAP offense?

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I agree with everything you said, except I don't think he'll get 6 mo. in jail. If his lawyer is remotely decent, he'll either serve nothing or very little time. Not saying he shouldn't, but just what will likely happen.

You are right, driving drunk is absolutely stupid.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Also, he wasn't wearing sweatpants. Then he'd be reallllly fucked.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

THAT IS SERIOUSLY HILARIOUS!:rofl2:

5. IATA

IATA Trolls

Because it's been plastered all over the reports that this is his first SAP violation.

6. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Jets teammates disappointed -- but 'not surprised' -- by Braylon Edwards' DWI »

By Manish Mehta

Update: 4:30 pm: D'Brickashaw Ferguson AND Vernon Gholston were in the car with Braylon Edwards, according to source. Edwards is scheduled back in court on Nov. 9 after being released this afternoon.

Update: 3:51pm: Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson was in the car with Braylon Edwards at the time of the arrest, according to SNY. Ferguson wasn't taken into police custody.

A few hours after Braylon Edwards was arrested and charged with DWI on the West Side this morning, several Jets teammates expressed their disappointment with the mercurial wide receiver.

“Not surprised,” one player told The Daily News.

Several players were most disappointed in Edwards’ selfishness and disregard for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Edwards, of course, played a pivotal role in the Jets’ 28-14 win over the Patriots on Sunday. With Santonio Holmes suspended until Week 5, Edwards’ was the team’s primary deep threat.

“We need him,” one player said.

Despite Edwards’ importance to the offense, his teammates were adamant that his actions shouldn’t be tolerated.

“There’s no excuse for something like that,” a player said.

Former Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, a close friend of Edwards, responded to the Daily News’ tweets that several Jets were disappointed in Edwards’ selfishness. Rhodes took a shot at some of his former teammates, tweeting: “typical coming from that locker room… to say something bad about him rather than be on his side! But (when he) scored they were (probably were) the first one to celebrate with him.”

Edwards lived with Rhodes in his New Jersey condo for a while after he was traded from Cleveland last season. Rhodes, of course, has also been criticized by several teammates and coaches for what they perceived as a lack of aggressiveness on the field.

“Braylons a great dude that made a mistake damn. Just happy no one was hurt!” Rhodes later tweeted.

Edwards attended Jerricho Cotchery’s charity event in Manhattan Monday night. Cotchery told WFAN radio that the event wrapped up around 9:30 p.m. -- nearly 8 hours before Edwards was pulled over by the police.

“It’s important for us to support him as teammates,” said Cotchery, who maintained that Edwards “looked perfectly fine” at his event as he mingled with fans.

Punter Steve Weatherford also chimed in on ESPN’s SportsCenter: "It’s obviously a huge disappointment because he is such a huge part of our team offensively. In the locker room, he’s just a great guy to be around. Obviously, it looks like we may lose him for a few games. He’s been a huge part of our offense… so just disappointment at this point. This type of attention is not something that we want, but we will rally around Braylon (and) support him and get through this as a team.”

Weatherford later noted the Jets have a “very close-knit locker room.”

“Rex does a great job of coaching to our strengths and guys really believe in each other,” Weatherford added. “This is a little bit of a setback, but we will work through it."

Per the collective bargaining agreement, the NFL cannot suspend Edwards until he's been convicted. If he’s found guilty of violating the league’s substance abuse policy, he’d be subject to a fine up to $50,000 as a first-time offender. Edwards, though, may also be in violation of his probation stemming from a fight outside a nightclub in Cleveland last season.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum released a statement with some fairly strong language: “We are very disappointed in Braylon’s actions this morning. The Player Protect program is in place for our organization to prevent this situation. Braylon is aware of this program and showed poor judgment. We are reviewing the information with the league and will impose the appropriate disciplinary measures.”

To add to Edwards’ forgettable day, his Twitter ghostwriter apparently didn’t the get the news of his arrest at 5;15 a.m. Around 8 a.m., somebody tweeted this on Edwards’ official twitter page: "GoodMorning World...Winning is the goal, perfection is the aspiration, & dedication is the key to unlock the door #LetsWork."

The message has since been deleted.

The Jets could deactivate Edwards for the Jets’ Sunday night game at the Dolphins. Edwards had 9 catches for 167 yards in two games against the division rivals last season. He also scored two of his four touchdowns against Miami.

The Jets (1-1) would be woefully thin at wide receiver without him (with only Cotchery, Brad Smith and David Clowney.) It’s likely the team would sign another wideout - likely Laveranues Coles - if they decided to play without Edwards. (The Steelers took a similar approach by deactivating Santonio Holmes for a game in 2008 following a marijuana arrest).

Edwards peaked with a career season in 2007 when he had 80 catches for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns with the Browns. He averaged 80.6 yards that season before his production drastically declined. In 32 regular-season games since 2007, Edwards has averaged 47.3 ypg and has had just 8 touchdowns.

Rex Ryan admitted Monday that he would have given Edwards a game ball after the win over the Patriots if not for a 15-yard taunting penalty after his touchdown catch. Ryan spoke to Edwards after his immature act.

“I told him that he played a great game and we would have given him a game ball, but we didn’t because of those things,” Ryan said Monday. “I love the way he played. He was really into it, but you’re killing us. You can’t put the team in that kind of jeopardy…. I appreciate how passionate he is, but you don’t want to be selfish. That’s basically what that is. As great as he played, and no one is as big a Braylon fan as I am, that’s something I probably should have addressed right when it happened. I was too worried about trying to get them stopped, but that’s needed to be addressed and we did address it.

“He’s smart,” Ryan added. “He knows better than that. It’s not the first time he’s ever been in the end zone either. He knows.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/09/jets-teammates-express-disappo.html#ixzz10CMyetCx

7. DisgruntledLionFan

Reports on a list that isn't ever released?

8. IATA

IATA Trolls

So that article basically says, "Kerry Rhodes is bitter the Jets got rid of him. Also, some of Braylons teammates know he likes to party"

The pinnacle of journalism.

9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

:breakdance::breakdance::breakdance::breakdance:

10. Jets R Gr8

Jets R Gr8 New Member

Its funny because its true.

11. IATA

IATA Trolls

It dosen't take a genious to google that he hasn't had any violations, i'm sure these journalist are.

12. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

new sig!!!!!!!!!

13. Bl33D GR33N

Bl33D GR33N New Member

Woody should send an email of apology to Goodell before all 3 of these fucks get suspended for half the year.

14. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

Damn, Why couldnt it have been Ghost who was driving?

15. DisgruntledLionFan

I'm pretty sure it's all handled in-house.

#855 DisgruntledLionFan, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  16. Jets R Gr8

Jets R Gr8 New Member

I read online that Braylon was going to get injured in Sunday's game anyway.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

You are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying he should step up and take the blame. And no, he didn't break any crime (unless stupidity is criminal). But Brick should have a common sense and I guess you would call it a "moral responsibility" to prevent Edwards from driving drunk.

However, if he got in the car with him, he's equally as stupid.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't know about this one. From what I can tell driving drunk usually has no consequence, sometimes results in getting arrested, and rarely results in a catastrophic car accident. Being in college I know plenty of people who have gotten dui and dwi. I don't know anyone who has actually been involved in an accident because they drank and drove home. You want to see punishment for what could have happened but that it isn't how things like this work.

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

Which I don't debate at all. but he has no responsiblity in any of this. They were all drunk, they all made mistakes, but only 1 of them was driving.

20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Ironically, saw Goodell on the street a little while ago and said to him "Now you HAVE TO shorten Santonio's suspension." He gave me an uneasy/fuck off smile and kept walking.