Braylon Edwards Arrested for DWI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoLewisSoNasty, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

are you kidding me? you don't think this is going to count against him when it comes down to who is going to get an extension? if you don't think it is then your naive.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

3. Jets R Gr8

Jets R Gr8 New Member

He looks fine to drive.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have never said that we should simply look to the law to determine Edwards' punishment. I merely said the law does not require his employer to punish him for private behavior.

I have a problem with the perception argument, obviously. I understand the realities and the competing considerations, but collective guilt is a problematic concept to me. I should be punished because of something someone else did?

Making an example of someone is not without a rational purpose, but there should be some limits on it. I have thought much about this subject over the years, and while I would agree I would not say it never is appropriate, I do think it is under very limited circumstances. What should those be?

I go back to the distinction between on the field and off the field problems. If one were to conclude, for example, that Eric Smith's hit on Welker was intentional, I would consider sending a message by fining him or worse. But I don't think Eric Smith or anyone else will be less likely to do that in future if Edwards is suspended for a first time DUI. They won't see the connection, because the connection is tenous at best.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards getting arrested
    [​IMG]

6. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Everyone knows super dark tints are for drug dealers and potheads. When will these players learn they are not in the ghetto anymore?

7. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

Excuse me, should not have used the word good, we were friends but nothing that close. And did I ever say that I was not upset about it? I certainly was, but I try not to let my emotions dictate how I think.

Statistics I won't get into, it will just lead to circular argument. Your point is valid.

And no I do not believe drunk drivers should not have their car taken away. My point is not that it is ok to drive drunk. I just think it is wrong when people are quick to judge because they see someone is drunk driving. For some people, they see Braylon or any other person caught drunk driving as the equivalent of the drunk driver who killed their friend or whoever it may be, and to me that is just not true.

8. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

ummm..it's science and it's a pretty reliable measure of drunkenness. Try it out someday and see what your agility and mental acuity are like when your .16 drunk.

9. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

OK!! BACK TO EDWARDS..

sometimes i feel like you people just post to get your post counts up... ANYWAY..

Chris Mortensen was just on ESPN and was saying that Edward's situation is considered to be a substance abuse issue and not a player conduct issue.

Therefore, it is VERY UNLIKELY that he is suspended. Mortensen went on to say that in extreme situations (people injured or property damage) then further actions are obviously taken.

But since thats not the case, Braylon should expect to see a hefty fine and we should expect to see Braylon on the field on Sunday..

Don't have any links yet.. but I'm sure if you watch espn, it will be repeated 10 times in the next hour..

#509 NYJ_JD, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Why do people post like this?

HE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE SUSPENDED!!!!

Make your point if you have one why IT IS YOUR OPINION that he should be. But don't lose all cred by saying HE HAS to be suspended.

11. johnnyandahson

johnnyandahson New Member

Whats the opinion on whether the Jets may take his actions and suspend him?

i hope they dont but it sure wouldnt help up against the fins

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

YOU SOB YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!

rawr

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I don't dispute that X happens when your blood alcohol content is Y. What I question is how they calculate the BAC based on only your weight and type of drink you had. Some guys can process a ton of liquor and have a small BAC, and then others take a wine cooler and they're ready to pass out

14. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

If he does get a suspension for this, hopefully it doesn't come into effect until we play Buf

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

If he gets suspensed before a conviction, the Jets would be smart to wait until Santonio comes back from his 4-gamer. But really, taking him away from the game hurts the Jets. There should be a way to make him play but still dock all his pay.

16. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If the Jets are smart they suspend him for a game in the future....NOT this SUNDAY!, and make him go for alcohol counseling or some sort of charity work for MADD or similar organization. It's obvious there is a reckless and immature nature to Braylon's life off the field that needs to be addressed.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is basically true, although there are exceptions in some states for various reasons, and doesn't apply if a contract exists that prohibits it. The reason it doesn't apply to Edwards, of course, is that there is a union contract that explicitly lays out the ways that someone can be suspended, released, etc, and as others have noted, a DUI is on the list as non-suspendable. You do wonder about personal conduct suspensions given his repeated problems.

18. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Yes, there are variables such as tolerance based on genetics, body makeup and amount of food ingested in the same period of time as the drinking. But regardless, it's an estimate and for the most part accurate. It's pretty much common sense that if you are slurring your words you are in no condition to be operating any type of motor vehicle.

19. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I think the issue that I and many others have is that the lack of discipline of this team is running rampant. In many respects I think Hard Knocks was the worst thing that could have happened to this team because like it or not it is where much of the immaturity started. The lax attitude, cheeseburgers on the field, the stupid penalties etc etc...all childish bullshit.

This is the perfect opportunity for Rex to reign this team back in and get them re-focused and back on track. Sitting Edwards is the right thing to do and I really believe that the Jets will handle this in house and suspend him for at least a few games.

Take off the green glasses, it's the right thing to do.

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Surely his team mates / buddies have a duty of care towards him. I know hes a big boy and all, but if my friend or team mate went to drive after a skin full or even a few drinks, I'd have something to say about it.
    Inexcusable.