Braylon Edwards Arrested for DWI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoLewisSoNasty, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Mmm... let's see... maybe because Marjuana and 'roids are banned substances and alcohol is a legal substance?

2. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

No I have not, but I did lose a good friend of mine from high school, who also happened to be my neighbor. I heard her parents scream outside at 4am when the cops came to tell her.

People do stupid shit, and drunk driving is just one on the list. I understand the emotion of being upset about it, it makes complete sense. But why single that out like its the worst thing one can do. I know people will find stats that say how much more likely it is when your drunk bla bla but I believe statistics are bullshit. If I'm texting and run through a red light and kill you, is that not just as bad as if I'm driving drunk and do it?

3. John127

John127 New Member

Because they need to exert control and discipline over a player (and team) that exhibits a lack thereof. Lack of discipline will lose games for this team this season, if it continues, I guarantee it.

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

and that he got into a car drunk instead of calling for the thousands of cabs surrounding him.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Of course. No one's going to write to not pull over people unless they're doing 10 miles or more of the speed limit. However, from basic driving experience most people know that you can get away with 0-10 mph over the speed limit and the cop/trooper will let you go more often than not.

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

It would only be shocking if the passengers were either (in order of increasing "shockingness"):

- Mark Sanchez
    - Ines Sainz
    - Mark Tanenbaum
    - Woody Johnson
    - Rex Ryan

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Probably was overshadowed in the many posts, but here is a blurb from AFC eas Blog with multiple contributors.

"The Jets will likely be without two of their top three receivers for Sunday night's game in Miami. They have only three other receivers on the roster, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and David Clowney. They could look to re-sign veteran Laveranues Coles."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5598872

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Remember John Abraham when he was like .26

9. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

10. ........

........ Trolls

No one is equating driving drunk with killing someone while driving drunk. That should be obvious. We're pointing out the potential, as you said, which makes it completely idiotic. That has no bearing on his punishment, though. He'll get whatever the law dictates for probation violation.

Agreed. The "cut him loose" argument is stupid.

I've never driven with a single drink in my system. Do I get to judge him on this one?

11. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

I am with you on that. Braylon Edwards is not good enough for all this back and forth. All this does is give the front office a reason to eliminate him in their plans going forward.

Not that he has given them many reasons to want to keep him.

Vincent Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Now that is an effing WR core! Oh, and we now know how to deal with their agents. Set Rex on 'em.

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's all speculation. No one knows if he'll be suspended, but I can see the Jets trying to save face by sitting him this week.

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah for sure, on the thruway I pass by speed traps going 75 and I'm never worried, I just let go the accelerator. The Cops are looking for the guys doing 90 with the $500 fines, and they don't want to get into arguments with someone going 0-10 over the limit

14. ........

........ Trolls

Honest question: do you have some sort of mental incapacity?

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand the role of perceptions, but I thought I saw you post the Jets should suspend him to address the collective problem of discipline on the team.

Roger's league suspended Ben R beause their investigation of hte rape allegation not only suggested it was true even without a conviction but also and more importantly it fit with prior events in his history. And rape is worse than a DUI, last time I checked. But at the same time I am not aware of Roger forcing a team to suspend a player for a first time DUI.

If you are saying, which is what you appear to be saying, that the Jets should be concerned about the league's general perception of lack of discipline on the team, and take that concern as the basis for suspending a player for a first time DUI, I think that is a risky business that has its own perils. Aside from being unfair.

Collective guilt is a difficult concept at best.

16. ........

........ Trolls

If all goes well, Marijuana will be a legal substance in my state soon enough.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Both are just as bad. However, drunk driving is a distraction that would occur from before you even enter the car and goes well beyond a distraction. You're talking about having impaired judgment, reaction time, coordination, vision, etc. It's a decision that someone makes to put themselves, their passengers, and all those who they pass by in danger of being terribly injured or losing their lives.

and yes, texting and running a red light can lead to the same thing. However, it's much harder to determine whether someone was texting and driving than if someone was under the influence of a mind altering drug.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Miami already jumped to 2.5 point favorites after Revis being ruled out for Sunday, and the line will likely expand to -4 if Braylon is suspended.

19. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

He won't be suspended, I feel safe enough to make that prediction. The last thing the team wants is Edwards filing a grievance with the union. But I don't know if he won't be spending a lot of time on the bench.

And let me add to the chorus, how fucking stupid can you be? This isn't about glass houses, where he is with being involved in the DWI fatality of his former teamate and having a free ride at his disposal, there is zero excuse.

20. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Yeah no shit genius...but the policy groups illegal and legal substances in one category.

"The illegal use of drugs and the abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol (hereinafter referred to as "substances of abuse") is prohibited for players in the National Football League ("NFL")."