Braylon Edwards Arrested for DWI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoLewisSoNasty, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Did you lose a loved one from drunk driving? Do you think parents of Nick Adenhart agree with you?

2. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I guess my Trooper buddies are old wives. I thought there was a cushion to allow for things like variations in speedometers from car to car. If you're saying that if a Trooper wants he can bust you for going 1 mph over, sure, but I don't think most would.

3. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

As much as I'm fighting for Braylon on this, your post is wrong.

Braylon's problem is that he was driving drunk.

4. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Remember everyone, its not a crime if you don't get caught:beer:

5. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I'm a little confused with the league substance abuse policy as per the current CBA. All I keep hearing is how Braylon cannot be suspended because this is his first violation that falls under the substance abuse policy.

If this is true, then why were guys like Brian Cushing and Shaun Ellis suspended by the league for their first violations? Why does it seem like league punishments are so subjective?

Evan Roberts said it best this morning: as a selfish Jets fan, I want him on the field. But as a human being, I want him suspended.

I'm pretty confident that the Jets will sit him for at least the Miami game, but IMO it won't be enough. Suspend him indefinately through the bye week. The time for Rex to send a message and reign in this team is now. These guys need to understand that they cannot do as they please without consequences, at least not while playing for this team.

6. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I'm not gonna bleed my heart out about the dangers of drunk driving and its repercussions. What does piss me off though is this guy is a multi-millionaire and was with Stallworth the night of his manslaughter DWI. Call a fucking limo or cab man.. C'mon.

7. ........

........ Trolls

One of my best friends in high school was driving home down a toll road at 1 AM when a drunk driver on the WRONG side of the freeway plowed into him. By the time another car pulled up, my friend was burning alive in the car. The driver of the car that stopped saw the car burst into flames from a quarter of a mile away. The drunk driver was standing outside of his car, dazed, just watching. My friend burned to death.

So forgive me for wondering whether a driver who was just texting would have the presence of mind to attempt to help my friend get out of the car.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Listening to Beningo and Roberts. They feel the Jets should suspend or deactivate Edwards for the Miami game to set an example. Why should they? Why should Edwards be treated any differently than any other player that's had a DWI in the past? The precedent has been set. The league will handle it like they have all the other cases. If that means a suspension, fine or whatever, so be it. But there is no need for anything in addition to that.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It also remains to be seen HOW he was driving... if I have to drive with alcohol in my blood I go very slowly and I'm extra careful.

He got stopped for tints... not because he was driving like a maniac...

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

So is there any chance the league suspends Braylon this season? I'm sure this question has been addressed in the 22 earlier pages but I don't feel like reading through them. My guess would be no.

11. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

You will soon see, and it will be shocking.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't see how you could possibly say it does not matter he didn't hit anyone.

Under the law it does. However severe or weak one might think the laws of driving under the influence are, the penalties assuredly go up if you kill someone.

I was merely noting that the more sanctimonious here equate one with the other. What the law penalizes in drunk driving is what is known as an inchoate crime, where the CAPACITY to cause injury is seen as unreasonably and dangerously heightened. That is not the same as seeing an equivalence between capacity and bad results.

As for your secondary point, it is too moralistic and not accurate. People are capable of thinking of different things at different times, and even at the same time.

He is a producing member of the team who made a mistake. You are being too moralistic and harsh.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Jesus said that. I believe that, too.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Cushion exists, but the amount depends on the cop and how he feels that day.

14. Jets R Gr8

Jets R Gr8 New Member

My guess is Joe McKnight

15. John127

John127 New Member

Wow, it's scary that behind this post there's a living, breathing, waste of space actually responsible for it. Unreal.

16. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Being laid off and being fired are 2 different things.

A lay off means the company must give you an opportunity to get your job back should the position open up again or the company gets "back on its feet".

At-will doesn't always work man.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

.16 is fucking crazy tho

18. ........

........ Trolls

The suspension is kind of a moot point if Glauber is correct and there are protections to prevent him from being suspended for a DUI. I think it's fantastic news if that's true. The Jets won't lose him for a game and will save face. By far, his biggest concern has to be the probation violation.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Probably not. They won't do a thing until the legal process plays out and then he has appeal options after that. Almost no chance at all the LEAGUE will do anything. Now, the Jets? That may be a different story.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That is an interpretation. There is no basis in law for a cushion.