Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You didn't answer my questions. And if you are so sure he should have been canned, why wasn't he?

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'll admit, it's a bit disheartening to me to see Rex conducting a "throw these plays out" session now. Though I think even the staunchest of us Schotty supporters will agree that these "misdirection" plays and pre-snap fire drills need a pretty good dialing back.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I really think repeatedly using the "Schitty" moniker makes you people sound like tools. I'm still not sure whether it's better than the whole "Mevi$" retardation.

4. Big Blocker

I have always thought BS tended to the cutesy side of play calling.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Schottenheimer is Rex's golden parachute.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

He absolutely does, no question. And it does irritate me. A lot.

That's what's so amuzing about these Schottenheimer arguments I get into on this board. I think the guy has his flaws and there are things about his playcalling that make me throw things at my tv on Sundays. When I'm on this board though, people are so utterly retarded with their grade-school monikers, awful spelling, and completely ridiculous opinions that I wind up not talking about the negatives I see at all. It's not everyone, it's just one big group that plays the same broken record over and over again. Sadly it drowns out the reasonable voices who have legitimate complaints about him and can form an actual argument to defend their position.

I guess conversation is overrated though.

7. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Would you prefer Shittenheimer?

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You are sounding a little self-righteous there my friend, your opinion does not make you right like my opinion does not make me right, the facts speak for themselves and his body of work speaks for itself, if you choose to ignore it that is on you.

I for one look at the body of work for player and coaches and base my opinions on those facts.

I would like to get your opinion on our former DC Mr. Sutton, did you want him fired or did you want him to be given ample opportunity to prove that he was worthy of his job?

9. Big Blocker

Alio's point is well taken, though. It's one thing to criticize specifics of BS's work. It's another to dismiss him with name calling, he should be fired, without never saying how the Jets would be better with another approach, or how what BS does didn't prevent them from going to the Champ game with a rookie Qb last year, and how he's by choice Ryan's OC.

Perspective, man. That's what is missing from too many here when it comes to this subject, anyway.

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The "Schiity" stuff is typical SOJ fan reaction.

The simple minded want to place all of whatever blame there is at Schottenhiemer's feet. It isn't that simple.

I am not defending Schottenhiemer as much as I am just saying that people who think it's ALL his fault don't have a clue.

The offense's problems aren't one man's fault. It gets spread around, and it starts at the top with Ryan. Schotty has a big role in the problems, no doubt. He's FAR from blameless. But he isn't 100% of the problem either.

Why not blame Petine for Cromartie's failures? And for Wilson's hold on 3rd and 28? Is that not a coaching problem? Wilson didn't know you NEVER hold on a 3rd and 28 four yards away from the line of scrimmage?

Schottenhiemer is the easy target for people who just want and need a scapegoat. It makes them happy. They think if he was gone, everything would be fine and dandy. The offense would just light up the NFL, right?

It's a team problem... from Ryan to Schottenhiemer to Callahan, to Sanchez, Keller, Edwards, Greene with his fumbles and our vaunted offensive tackles who got 3 holding penaties.

I have NO problem with placing blame on Schottenhiemer. He deserves it, but not ALL of it.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then I blame Schotty for the drops and illegal procedure penalities and Keller going for the guy with the marker and not the marker on the ground.

I agree that he doesn't deserve 100% of the blame. Once the reports have come out about Rex wanting what was on offense, I directed my attention towards him. But if the gameplan calls for that type of conservative play, you still have to call a good conservative gameplan, and it has to be executed properly.

Its not SOJ, its just total frustration that we've never seen anything different from Schotty in 4 years. SOJ would be that this offense is never going to get off the ground with this awful OC and this bust at QB. That's SOJF mentality, and its beyond incorrect.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Anything that sounds like it could have come from the NY Post is retarded.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

*Schitty Jr. ;)

The only common thread between our offensive offense during Mangini's reign and the current staff is none other than our top 10 line, Cotchery, and the first time offensive coordinator. Which one of these factors deserves the blame?

I seem to remember having a long talk with Alio about needing to clean house in order for the team to go in a completely new direction and he was able to help me see the positives in keeping BS around. We did that and we have nothing to show for it. He should have been gone at the end of the 2008 season. Now that he's had a chance to show what he has under two different regimes, it is blatantly obvious that we need a change of direction, not a bunch of pre-snap misdirection.

He gets way too cute with his motions, trying to outsmart with his playcalling, which usually just ends outsmarting our own team, and not taking advantage of the weapons he has.

Much like Mangini, he came here with a preconceived notion of what he wanted to do with AN offense, not OUR offense. His biggest problem AFAIC is his inability to adjust to his personnel. He has a promising young QB, a ridiculous crop of WRs, and an above average pass-catching TE. If Keller isn't putting up Heap numbers or better, than he isn't being used properly. With the receiving threat that LT presents from the backfield, he or Keller should be lighting it up.

Sure, it was only one game, but it showed that the man hasn't changed. I still don't know why Woody wanted to keep him around besides pedigree. It would be a bad idea to fire him at this point in time, but if he continues to outsmart himself, I would fully support giving Callahan a crack at it sooner rather than later.

When you have one of the top D's in the league, and a young QB, simple straight ahead playcalling is what is needed. Only an idiot or someone that is too smart for his own good could screw that up. BS falls into the latter category until he proves otherwise.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We are not talking about one or two plays here, I have confidence that the defense will get it right because Rex has a reputation for knowing what to do to get it fixed.

This defense has been through three defensive coordinators, Henderson, Sutton and now Pettine and Rex(I count Rex as the DC), under Sutton they were ranked 6th, 19th and 18th, I can assure you the whole forum was in agreement with Sutton being replaced, including Alio.

BS has had 4+ years of garbage and mediocrity, his body of work and his reputation does not justify giving him more time, if this was a hiccup in what other wise was a stellar career as an OC I would be the first one to defend him, but it has not been a stellar career, it has been average and I'm being generous by calling his career and body of work average. How much more time does this guy need to prove that he is not a good OC?

What does he need to do to get you to say that he should be gone?

Jets offensive rankings under BS:
    2006 18th
    2007 25th
    2008 9th
    2009 17th

Bob Sutton Defensive ranking
    2006 6th
    2007 19th
    2008 18th

based on these rankings Sutton should either had stayed as our DC or BS should have been gone.

:sad:

15. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

STOP with the brainless Schottenheimer bashing!

I don't think there is a formula for what constitutes SOJ. If this team starts 0-3 and continues to put up offensive performances that we all cringed at in week 1, in my book it's same old jets. SOJ is pretty simple I think: either the team is terrible or the team has high expectations/good performance and then falls off the map, crushing all our hopes and dreams.

If we lose to the pats and play like shit, I'm going to have major concern. Don't wanna hear about Sanchez's inexperience, schottenheimers inabilities, or defensive what ifs. This team is built to win a superbowl NOW, not 6 years down the road.

16. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

What it boils down to is that everyone is basing their opinions on very limited information and making assumptions. Aside from the coaching staff and that locker room, despite what they'll say in a press conference, no one knows exactly how much each party is accountable for what happened. Obviously it's not just 1 persons fault no matter what

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The formula is to be built to win every year with a franchise QB and a perennially dominant defense.

Its not just this year, its for the next 8 years.

And SOJ is being scared. Being scared of success, whether its the CS or a fan.

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

we blame everybody.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

They both work well. :beer:

20. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

I blame the players who made bone-headed plays and penalties and drops for their performance in that game, but I do not write them off because that game may have been an anomaly for many of them, as they are all very talented players.

However, I blame Schottenheimer for being the type of offensive coordinator that he is, and always has been. Cutesy, cowardly, ineffective playcalling can destroy a team, no matter how good their defense is.

I also blame Rex and Tanny and Woody for not getting rid of this chump years ago. Are they blind?

Callahan has a good history with the Raiders as their offensive playcaller. Why not give him a shot at the job? How could he possibly do any worse?