Sanchez v2.0 Has Critical Bug

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Troy Aikman - Game 1 of year 2 :http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199009090dal.htm

13-29-193-1-1 Win

Troy Aikman - Game 2 of year 2 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199009160dal.htm

14-27-149-0-2 Loss

Troy Aikman - Game 3 of year 2 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199009230was.htm

23-43-207-0-2 Loss

As other posters have said in multiple threads at this point, the Jets need to find a balance between protecting Sanchez and letting him learn from his mistakes. Watching Chad and Clemens and now Sanchez in this offense it's becoming clear that the problem is not the quarterbacks as much as the offense itself.

2. kaboom

kaboom Member

There was a key play in the 4th quarter in which Sanchez is rolling to his right and there is WIDE OPEN Braylon Edwards ~ 30 yards down field (inside the Ravens 20) and Sanchez takes the 4 yard dump off pass to someone else (it might as well have been Tony Richardson b/c the check down guy had a linebacker that tackled him immediately). All the elements for a huge play were there for the taking and would have been an easy throw for Sanchez to make as he was already rolling in that direction.

He had a lot of pressure on him on most of his other check downs but the one where he left Edwards wide open downfield was HUGE.

3. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I'm going to agree with your point and just add that, IMO, I thought he was doing this alot during the preseason games too. And it was irking the shit out of me then. Your thought that it's a product of the coaching and overemphasis on don't throw pics is valid!

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone listened to Mike & Mike this morning but they had Merril Hoge on who broke down the coaches tape of the game and discussed the offense.

He said in the first half the WR's were pretty bad getting off the ball slow, doing a bad job getting out of their breaks and slipping. He also said the Ravens coverage was great.

The second half though, he said there were a number of occasions where Sanchez had wide open receivers down field that he checked down too quickly on. He also mentioned a specific play where Edwards ran a wheel route - the Ravens blew the coverage and he was wide open - said that had to be the 1st or 2nd read for Sanchez, but again he checked down.

Basically he echoed the exact sentiments of this thread when he summarized. The CS has beaten him down with the "no INT" mantra so much that he's afraid to look downfield.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Protecting the ball is important right up to the point where you stop scoring.

The Jets need to loosen up a bit. Not just with his checkdowns, but with the offense in general. Its too complicated. Too many reads and shifts and adjustments. They looked lost out there half the time. The Jets need to simplify things and let the offense just go out there and beat the shit out of their opponents.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

Right, protecting the ball is nice, but it can't come at the cost of not producing anything.

I think it's even more simple than that. He just needs to have more confidence in waiting for routes to develop and throw down field. I'm not a fan of all the slapdick presnap motion and what not, but it's after the snap that's a problem.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Saw that too. And that's exactly why we need to just cut him lose and let him play. Mind f***ing your QB into literally fearing INTs is a great way to waste his talents and ruin his career. INTs happen. The CS needs to trust that they will happen less and less over time, and just let the kid throw. It doesn't mean we have to entirely forfeit the running game either, just balance it out.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

Another thing Hoge mentioned that I forgot to note - he says Sanchez is too attached to Keller and locks onto him. If Keller isn't open he gives up and checks down. You can bet your ass the Pats will be removing him from the game Sunday.

9. xxedge72x

What I don't like about the system in general is that they're waning Sanchez off his instincts too much too soon. The guy is so worried about going through the mechanics of the system that he's not playing ball.

He was so good in the playoffs and at the beginning of last season because he wasn't doing all this crap. The offense was streamlined and allowed Sanchez to be himself.

You can tell Schottenheimer wants Sanchez to run this offense at 100% of what it is, but I think Sunday showed clearly that he's not ready for it yet.

10. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I'll bet their game plan is as simple as...

1.) Load up the box
    2.) Force 3rd and long
    3.) Blitz on 3rd, concentrating on LG
    4.) Have 1-2 defenders spy Sanchez's eyes
    5.) Profit

11. xxedge72x

I feel like I'm in a minority on this... but I think Keller is incredibly overrated.

The guy doesn't have sure hands nor is he a dominating mismatch against opposing defenses. Sure he can produce and makes good plays here and there but I feel like he's too inconsistent to be the real threat that many think he is.

IMO Keller is a middle of the pack average TE.

12. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

Throw 30-35 times, run the rest. Otherwise; we'll be a loser every week.

Agree with the OP, take the training wheels off. The other method isn't working. Sanchez can put up numbers.

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Looks like they took your advice! :breakdance:

You were dead right btw, they just had to find a decent balance between run/pass and risk/reward.

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I told you all you were making too much of this issue with Sanchez. The kid is fine. I hope you will also notice that Schotty stopped his crap with the pre-snap ballet. Business as usual. Nothing to see here except the Pats getting popped in the chops.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

He looked great yesterday compared to week 1. It was nice to see him passing down field and not playing scared.

I hope the CS isn't scared of the Mike Nolan defense they're facing this week.

16. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

The Patch for the critical Sanchez bug has now been implemented with great success. It seems that there were legacy issues hidden within the database of the Jets offense, such as the pre-snap loading issue, and the crashing of the entire mainframe that would occur whenever Sanchez had to throw.

All of these issues were fixed by turning the mainframe off, turning it back on again, and by going to Jets System Settings and clicking on the 'Don't Be Stupid' and 'Don't Be a Pussy' filter boxes.

Best Regards,

Benny

#76 Benny Bing, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

So long as they play how they are meant to they will do ok. I'm more concerned about all the dings people have taken in this last game. Lot of little bang-ups to go around. Hope nothing becomes of any of them.

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Haha... well said.. :up:

19. WhiteShoeWillis

lol - great post!

20. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

:) thanks i try