Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I think people are mistaken when they believe Ryan has a hands off policy on offense. I remember that Philly preseason game when Schotty asked Ryan who should be playing tail back, and Ryan said "Keep Danny in there, I know he won't fumble the ball".

Make no mistake, this is Rex's team and Schotty does what Rex tells him to do. It was the same way under Mangini.

The problem with the offense cannot be boiled down to just the OC. I'm not saying Schotty is blameless, far from it. He is part of the problem, but it's just far too simplistic to pin it all on him, and creating polls about if he should be fired one week into the season is typical fan over reaction. Same old Jets fans, and they are the ones screaming about how this isn't the same old Jets.

We'll see some changes next week, and those changes will be mandated by the HC and executed by HIS coaching staff. If Schottenheimer was as bad as some of you say, then you can still blame Rex. He has Callahan already on staff, making a change would not be all that hard to do, but Rex hasn't made that change. It's his team, his fruitcake, his imprint and his direction.

But so many of you know more than Ryan does, right?

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear I tend not to like appeals to authority as arguments, but that's not really the issue here. I admire Ryan and want him to succeed. I think he's generally been fun and excting, and great for the fans. But that's the thing, it makes NO SENSE to pin all the blame on BS. This is Ryan's team, year two. He could have fired BS if he thought there was a better way to go, and if he thought that and didn't fire BS, HE should be fired for imcompetence.

The role of the HC's responsibility to review the OC's game plan is also competely ignored here by the BS haters. Ryan can't absolve himself of responsibility in that regard. In any event it is PURE SPECULATION for the BS haters to say Ryan was unaware of and did not approve BS's game plan.

That doesn't mean that Ryan knows something we don't, although I would agree with TBJ that it is likely he does. The point is that blaming BS in a vacuum is stupid.

I would like the discussion to move away from a single, simpleminded focus on the game plan to a more general CS problem, that the whole CS shares in, including BS, and that is the team's sloppy play. But related problems, like MS playing Bambi In the Floodlights, are not clearly the fault of BS by any means.

Alio alluded to those who hate BS because of his connection to his father. I also think those focusing on BS exclusively are engaging in wishful thinking, that changing out the OC would bring us to the land of milk and honey.

It's more complicated than that, by far, unfortunately.

3. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

I beg to differ on brainless. I'm not going to get into a debate over Schotty's coaching but I haven't or should I say never remember a time when our offensive play calling was anything to speak about. we have bragged about our defensive teams long before Rex Ryans got here but can't remember ever bragging about our offense other that the individual play of Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet. And our Ground and Pound running game last year. Never a total offense Schotty's been here long enough and hasn't shown any signs of greatness and isn't that what we're driving for. Someway somehow we have to come together as an offense and I for one don't have the faith in Schotty.

4. Big Blocker

So who should the Jets have signed in the off season and who do you blame for their not doing so?

(crickets)

5. Big Blocker

It's like the recent saying it's not a problem unless you have a solution to it. Otherwise you just live with it and shut the F up.

6. 624

624 Banned

I think Schotty was just questioning him then because they were still testing players to determine the roster, and he wanted Rex's opinion.

7. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Wtf?

This is what I am talking about - Schottenheimer did bring a new approach to offense in the NFL when he got the Jets job. Bash all you want, but here's what an NFL legend had to say in 2006 about Schotty:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40C1EFF3D5B0C738EDDA90994DE404482

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Stop! Just stop already! We can't continue to use logical arguments to make our points about Schotty anymore. It's just not reasonable.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

^2006 seems like a lifetime ago. Lets see what changes, if any, he comes up with. In particular, will he make adjustments in the second half just in case Plan A goes poof. I really didn't see any adjustments on offense in the 2nd half. Almost Hackettlike in approach honestly.

10. Big Blocker

A reasonable starting point for further discussion...

Last year we saw the team go into the season with a rather different approach than we saw Monday night. Sanchez had to be drawn in mid season after throwing too many ints. THe extent to which the play we saw Monday night was a direct result of game planning v. execution is I think a debatable point.

But here's the point - what if the CS tries adjustments and the results do not improve? Does that mean the CS sucks?

Or maybe the blame needs to be spread a bit more around?

I completely understand and even fear the import of that question. Which I think is why so many want it to be a simple matter of blaming BS. The more localized the problem, the easier it is to fix.

I don't want to get too far down this road after one game, because we can still hope the Jets do soon make adjustments and begin scoring more.

But if they don't, let's agree we need to at least consider whether some one or ones other than BS might share in the blame.

11. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

My problem was the lame play calling while the game plan is the Rex's approval the game calling of the plays did not stretch the field 1 deep pass that was called back and not done again is horrible. They did not attack the secondary enough or constantly things went bad and he played to loose rather then gamble to win. When they did gamble at the end of the game Keller was a yard short. But if you pass on a constant basis or even split it with the run the players are not cold. Can you blame Sanchez yes maybe they gave him looks that took away the pass but then changed things up. But ultimately the game calling lost this game not Rex but Schotty calling the plays lost this.
    Mind you I do have issues with the horrendous refs and the db play was suspect but how much of that was the db and how much of that was ref?

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

If Shotty is so fukin great, Why hasn't their been any 300 yard games?
    Even in shoot outs...even when Penny Left he went to MIAMI and threw for 300 yards....twice!

Stop over managing the fuking game and let the players play!

I'm not a fan of blogs but the troof id the troof:

>> NO 300 yard games since 2006 <<

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Could it be you're suggesting that this team really isn't as good as we all thought it was? Perhaps all the offseason moves might take more than a few months to come together and it might take BS more time to learn how to use his new weapons on offense. Right now, he's still working with last year's crew until Holmes comes in. I'd like to think Holmes will suddenly transform this WR corp into something resembling "elite" but I highly doubt it. I agree however, that there's alot more blame to spread around than just dumping on BS. Him and Sanchez are the faces of this offense such as it is at this point. That's why they're taking all the heat although Rex owns alot of this as well as ultimately, its HIS responsibility to run all units of this team, not simply the defense. That's just being lazy and I hope to hell I'm wrong with that assessment.

14. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

I would hope with all the debating over Schotty I'm wrong. I would also hope that the Jets coaching staff knows a hell of a lot more than I do. I don't claim to be super knowledgeable about the inner workings of the game for me it's just a fans point of view. I do know I hate our offensive play calling and with our off season moves did we loose what little offense we had because so far between preseason and the 1 game thus far our offense just sucks. So I hope it's a coaching issue and not a personnel issue

15. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

I hope your wrong too

16. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Ironically, in an effort to appear smart, he has become:

[​IMG]

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I hope you are reading this, cause I'm only gonna say it once... good post man. :smile: Not often a fall on the same side of your argument. lol

I wanted the guy (BS) gone for a long time now, but its true - he's not going anywhere. And I do believe he brings something useful to the organization, or he would never be here to start with. And we are already invested in him and the system at this point. We got as far as we did last year with him involved, there is no reason to believe we can't go all the way with him.

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Now I'm just gonna say, but that article has to be complete bullshit... afterall, it alludes that Penny threw a 58 yard touchdown pass... and we all know that could never happen unless he dinked it for 2 yards and the receiver ran the rest. :breakdance:

19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

As true as that is, you used BR in your argument, automatically making it wrong.

20. BleednGreen247

except you replied with nothing to anything i said, because its not debatable. accept it and move on, youre wrong about schitty and the proof is in the pudding. prove otherwise if you disagree :up: