Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Hey guy, I think I like you- :beer:

(noHomo)

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

And the sad thing is, now that Rex is basically forced to take Schotty's playbook from him and give him a timeout...the offense will improve but Shittenheimer apologists will point to that as proof that he's a good coordinator - and he'll live to see another season when he SHOULD be coaching High School football in a Catholic School league.

3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Good, fair post for the most part. There was plenty of blame to go around for the offense aside from Schotty. What I see of Schott's part though appears to me to be repetitive every year where he has to learn again all over. I'm not going to get too crazy over things, because I feel most of our kinks are going to be worked out over the next game or two.

And for the record, I always liked his dad... He was a good coach and I wished he would have managed to win one for himself. His style isn't exciting, but he was effective a lot of the time.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

When you check down as much as Sanchez did that's the game plan. Rex said as much.

The fact is tho that at this point in his development it's tough to see Sanchez going out there and winning a game himself. Our running game is extremely strong so more often than not he won't need to but if we run into strong run defenses we're gonna have serious issues.

5. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Schottenheimer but in the end shouldn't Rex take the blame for the offense's failures? Rex seems to have a hands-off approach with the offense. However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for not trying to get involved when the offense is failing the rest of the team.

This offense looked really bad but what is worrying most is not the yards/points from Ravens game. It was the lack of confidence in the Sanchez/Schott/Ryan combination for any playes besides running the ball up the middle.

Even if Sanchez is constantly checking down, one of the coaches needs to step up to Sanchez & encourage him to throw at least one long pass in the second half.

The way Sanchez is tied down, I found it impossible for him to be able to just "flip on a switch" and be able to move the Jets down in their last drive for a FG. Sanchez would basically be throwing downfield for the first time that entire game & it would be w/ the Ravens sitting on long passes. How could coaches expect any qb to pull this off when they spend the whole game refusing to even look downfield.

I think Ryan is building the Jets to win games 9-6. So losing 10-9 probably won't bother him at all.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

So if I read your post correctly, Sanchez made a few throws downfield that called back, but they don't let him throw downfield and they should.

Makes sense. You should be the OC.

The "ground and pound" offense tries to run the ball?! :eek:hmy:

The entire passing game is setup by the execution of the run game. If Shonn Greene doesn't fumble Monday night we're having a totally different conversation today.

No. You're clearly wrong.

See? Everyone can play this game! Hooray!!!! :rolleyes:

And where exactly did you get this insider information from? That retarded thread that scraped a quote from Rex's press conference that says nothing of the sort?

See, now that's reasonable, and I won't agure against anything you said. Do I think Schotty tends to get too cute? Of course I do. Only a blind idiot doesn't think so. However, people act like everything that goes wrong with our offense is the fault of Brian Schottenheimer when the reality is, Bill Walsh could call the plays and this team would still have had the same result Monday night.

Receivers dropping passes, running backs fumbling the ball, and QBs too afraid of protection breakdowns cannot win games. I don't care how "simple" the scheme is.

Fundamental offensive football was not played on Monday. That's the problem.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The frustrating thing to me is sanchez didn't need to win it. he just needed to contribute. If he throws for 150 yards the Jets win the game.

8. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

Agree one hundred percent - but why wasn't it played? Were the players not sure of their jobs? Did they not understand the game plan? Did they not understand how to execute the game plan?

At what point do you say: "hmmm...we keep having the same problems on offense, regardless of which personnel are running it...maybe it's the scheme itself and the people teaching it, not the players?"

That's the problem with Schott - we've seen this before and it keeps happening. I don't think his schemes work consistently in the NFL. I don't think he knows how to attack a defense and exploit its weaknesses. I don't think he can effectively implement and execute a game plan game in and game out.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well, let's say this much.

If the problem isn't fixed, someone leaves. I can think of one name, and no Bob Sutton is not it :grin:

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Stop focusing on Monday night Alio. Did we almost win in spite of a poorly called offensive game plan? Yes. We shouldn't have to win in spite of it though.

BS has a history at this point. You cannot look at it and not realize he isn't cut out to be a OC in this league.

11. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

WTF? Our offense was terrible under Pennington in 2006.

12. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

At some point...Ryan and Shotty are going to have let Sanchez play. If you constantly bang into his head "Don't make mistakes..don't make mistakes", he's going to be tentative and make mistakes.

They are expecting and paying the kid alot, let's see what can he do. This team has four really good receivers, utilize them, especially Keller. As I have been saying, this kid is a matchup problem, it's time to involve him more. Otherwise, IMHO, he just another first round pick that could have been used elsewhere.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The question is why don't they want to let him play. They traded up to get him and went all the way to the Afc Championship. He had a full off season to learn everything and they still will not let him throw. The Cs is either living in a fantasy world thinking they can beat the elite teams scoring ten points a game or they realize his skill does not match his hype. Either way it is not good for business. They called the game like they were scared to let him play. He should play now and fail or succeed but this bunch does not have two years they are built to win now.

14. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Com'on Man, your talking about a veteran QB, and comparing that offense to a QB being led by a second year QB still learning the NFL Game... It's foolish to expect him to be able to control the offense like that

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

NY Jets rankings under Brian Schottenheimer

Passing: 17
    Rushing: 20
    Total: 25

Passing: 25
    Rushing: 19
    Total: 26

Passing: 16
    Rushing: 9
    Total: 16

Passing: 31
    Rushing: 1
    Total: 20

Average
    Passing: 22
    Rushing: 12
    Total: 22

16. Schitthead=garbage

hahahaha + 100000000

17. Schitthead=garbage

please, there are dozens of negatives you can point out about Schitthead on Monday night.

Here's one that I haven't seen anywhere--- how come Schitthead did not go back even ONCE to running Tomlinson OUTSIDE IN SPACE in the 2nd half? Tomlinson had 2 big runs in the 1st half on the only TWO times he got the ball tossed to him outside to run in open space.

18. skeleton_frames

Exactly. Rex is one of those 'fall on a grenade publically for his guy' people. Of course he's going to say that. He's not going to throw his OC under the bus.

19. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Because that play was too basic and boring for Schitty. He wants to confound defenses with magic and trickery, like he did on this play in the 3rd Quarter:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJ43yOLgH8[/youtube]

Obviously I'm just kidding....

that play actually produced points.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous argument. Talking O starters alone here. Ryan and the Jets got rid of Faneca (former pro bowler), Jones (led the league in rushing), added Holmes (despite bad rep in Pitt) and LT (considered done by some, maybe many).

They signed Mangold and Ferguson to new deals. They got Edwards during the regular season last year, and kept him despite him not setting the world on fire immediately.

And they kept BS.

WHat does that tell you?

It's kind of obvious to me. If they want to make a move, they make a move, bus or no F'ing bus. They kept BS because they wanted to.

Don,

You talk about BS's stats. Do you think Ryan, Tanny and Woody are unfamiliar with those stats? If they are so telling, why did they not get rid of BS before now?

WSW alluded to the point - because he's the best they could get and work with.

That and that he's planning the game the way Ryan wants it.

He's not going anywhere. The BS haters better get used to it.