Jets vs Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I think you guys are off base on this game. Its not going to be a blow at at all. The Pats have weaknesses and vulnerabilities. The Ravens are a better team then the Pats are and most definately the Ravens have a much better D. We'll see I guess. But I don't see a blowout happening. I see another close game that could go either way and will be decided in the 4th. Can the jets avoid stupid penalties? Can Sanchez move the chains? Can the Jets receivers catch passes? Can Greene avoid fumbling the ball? To me those are the areas of concern.

2. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

you do realize that last year was last year, and has no bearing whatsoever what happens this weekend.. None ... I mean like zero ... On the same token, last week performance by either club has nothing to do with this week .. Ok, so the Bengals beat the Ravens twice last year .. So what does that say about the Pats last victory? That's right, nothing .. :beer:

3. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I agree...!!!

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The offense is not in need of getting back, it's just about getting on the same page. Mark has to trust his blockers and improve his pocket awareness from last week, we've already seen what he can do last year.

The defense will cause fits for Tom and company. As long as we have a balanced attack on offense, yes I realize we need to establish the run but there is nothing wrong with throwing the ball, we don't use PA nearly enough.

Just like our week 2 game last year this will be a low scoring game with Jets coming out on top 24-12, I don't think we will give up a TD.

The Patriots defense is still a WIP, and after last weeks performance our offense will be out to prove something.

5. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Hi all, Another Pats Fan to jump in the fray, especially since the Pats are looking good for this week against the Jets

That said, I think talk of a Patriots blow-out are way, way premature. (It's possible but very unlikely. These teams always play each other close)

The Jets Defense is still very good and if the Pats offense can score 20 points on Sunday I'll be thrilled. And I think that's the magic number. If the Jets D can keep the Patriots in the low double digits (or lower) I think the Jets certainly have a chance. And that's certainly not impossible for the Jets D. Above 20 and I think the Patriots will win it. I don't think the Jets will score over 20 even if the shackles are taken off of Sanchez.

Yes, the Patriots D is VERY young and that could help the Jets with some scores but I was encouraged with their performance Sunday because the Pats D is now younger, faster and more athletic then it's been in years. If they play as aggressively as they did in the 1st half I think the Jets offense will suffer particularly Sanchez.

I think it's going to be close. The Patriots still need to show that they can win on the road which they had a problem with last year and I think the Jets have GOT to be motivated to win this game. That's big for the Jets. That and If the Jets D can make Brady uncomfortable, they certain have a good shot to win.

In the end, I do think the Pats will score enough to win but then I am a Patriots fan after all. The offense is much more varied then Welker and Moss and that might surprise even the Jets D.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Excellent analysis, although I do have to quibble with the last point. How is their offense varied beyond Welker and Moss? Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman are solid, but I guarantee they do not reach 75 rushing yards on the day. Their running game is nonexistent.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Above is basically my concern, we know the Pats will not run.

But the secondary was so terrible on Monday, a leaps and bounds improvement, would be like them only giving up 70 yards in penalties which is still way too much.

I think Welker out of the slot will be way too much to handle.

That said, the Jets have never been blown away under Rex, I'm confident the game will be close and the Jets will have a chance to win if they don't make mistakes.

Still think Patriots take this game.

#127 GQMartin, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The Pats might actually have a #3 receiver this year. Do you remember last years? I don't? Joey Galloway?, Sam Aiken? Tate could be really good in a few years. He certainly has the speed. Edelman we know can play although he's been hurt.

They also a new set of TEs that I think will give the league and the Jets trouble. Alge Crumpler has been playing well and is a good blocker. Hernandez is the quick slot/receiver TE that teams love to use these days. Gronkowski is a 6-6 TE who is a bear and can catch the ball! Perfect for the red zone offense. I really like Gronkowski (love the name). I think he could be really good.

So just worrying about Moss (who is still is dangerous) and Welker (who is looks pretty damm good after his injury) may not be enough any more.

The running game? Yeah. I'm not expecting miracles from the running game either. If they can keep the Jet D a little honest, that would be more then enough.

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Hopefully Revis will be closer to his Christ like nature. Cro is fast and I think he can do a great job on Welker. Pool was inactive so that'd be a improvement right there.

We've already faced the Pats twice so we know Rex knows what to expect, I'm not worried about the defense one bit.

The only concern is Sanchez being able to recognize the blitz which they do a good job of masking. As long as Mark is allowed to throw I'm sticking with my 24-12 prediction. Our defense is pissed, and will take it out on the Patriots.

10. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I can't see a blow out either. The Jets D will keep it close. How well they pressure Brady is the key, of course.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

24-12 Jets? No way. If Jets eek out a win its gonna be 13-10 or 16-10. Jets ain't scoring 24 points. You are talking massive change from last week.

Granted that was probably the worst offensive performance I have ever seen. The Pats do not have as scary a D as the Ravens. But a 2 TD+ jump from 1 week? I think 24 points is asking way too much.

12. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will be able to run the ball on Sunday. The key will be our offense and if Mark S. can get his head out of his ass by gametime. If he makes a few good throws early and builds a little confidence we may be ok.

If the D can fix the penalties in the secondary. If we can take Moss (covered by revis) and tate (Cromartie) away, They could double Welker with Wilson and Smith. They will have some success but I do not think we get blown out. I do not think they will beat us with the run so we can place a little more effort on stopping their passing game.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Jason la Cuntfora live chat:

Anthony Perry, Pheoinx, Arizona
    Your opinion, what do you think the outcome will be in week two when the jets vs. the patriots?

Jason La Canfora, NFL Network
    I like the Pats to win that game, and put up some big numbers doing it. Wes Welker vs. Kyle Wilson. Yikes

How long do we have to put up with these "analysts".

14. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

In true Jets fashion, expect the unexpected. I picked the Ravens in week 1 and I will continue on the reality path. I see a Jet win this weekend. I think Rex figures out that you can still blitz a lot, but not every freakin 3rd and long. We cut the penalties in half, and that's still a lot, but much more manageable. One defensive or ST TD, and a less putrid performance on offense, Jets win 24-20. week 2 is notorious for bringing week 1 big winners down a notch and ugly losers up a notch (As I've noticed in Knock out pools over ther last few seasons). this is one of those games

#134 tcrock, Sep 15, 2010
  15. Cameoman

Cameoman New Member

You guys went up against something no team in the history of the NFL has ever had to do before.

The Ravens are the 1st team in NFL history to have 3 active wr's with at least 500 receptions. Not to mention Heap at over 425 receptions. It was a tough job that Defense had and they did it pretty good.

Tom Brady is way better than Flacco at this point, but you only really have 2 top receivers to cover. Revis should be able to take care of one.

2 rookie TE's and Crumpler and a couple other mid level WR's. Your D.line and LB's should take care of the RB's in passing downs.

The Ravens shut down the Pats in the playoffs last season, so I'm curious as to why anyone thinks you guys will easily lose, especially Jets fans.

I hope the Jets kick the Patriots collective ass.

CM

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I can't believe all the negativism on this board after one loss! Listen people ... the Pats are a one-dimensional offense right now. Their running game doesn't exist. Revis will shut down Moss. Is Welker gonna win the game all by himself??? Our defense is going to stop them just fine. They may score their share of points but this blowout talk just pisses me off. We'll be in this game until the end. We just need to pass protect and put some goddamn points on the board!

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Moss was a decoy that game(injured badly) and Brady wasn't in great health either.

edit: that was like 9months ago.

18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Thank you for that bit of sanity :up:

19. neg_serye

neg_serye New Member

He wasn't that much better last year, like I have stated in other threads though, the Jets defense will keep the team in a lot of games. Whether the offense can muster enough points for victories is another story.

#139 neg_serye, Sep 15, 2010
  20. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Last year is over. Both Patriots and Jets fans will know a lot more about their teams after this game.

There were quite a few questions about the Patriots after the pre-season. Could the young secondary hold up against a decent passing attack? Could the offensive line hold together without Login Mankins. Could the Patriots offense incorporate the new players. How recovered was Welker. Supposedly the Bengals were a good team with a decent passing attack, running game and defense. I personally was not looking forward to the Bengals game but the Patriots played well. It could be as simple as the Patriot being better prepared then the Bengals. Let's see how they do this week on the road against a very aggressive defense like the Jets. Then we Patriots fans will know a lot more about our team.

The Jets fans must have had their own set of questions. Can Sanchez take it the next level? Will the running game miss Jones? LT had some nice runs but I don't think he can be an every down back. Can Greene get better after a terrible game 1? The defense will be there but the offense had better get better or the Jets won't be going to the Super Bowl, they'll be fighting for the 3rd spot in the AFC East. imo of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.