Jets vs Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pats>>>Jets

Pats>>>Jets New Member

the main problem with the jets is that they are
    a fantasy football team, they look good on paper
    but that doesnt necessarily translate to the field

(regardless of coaching)

ciao

2. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

LT has done nothing to show that he was the liability. If anything he was one of the few bright spots in yesterday's game.

Thomas Jones 11-39 against one of the worse defenses against the run
    LaDainian Tomlinson 11-62 against one of the best defenses against the run.

Invalid point. That's why you're a fan and not a GM.

3. patsfaninpittsburgh

Well....OKkkkkay....

Except that the Pats have an elite offense.

I point this out because I don't want you blindsided when Brady hammers them.

Defenses look better against worse offenses and QB's. That will be different come week two.

4. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

O gosh, do not speak of an elite offense after one game. The Bengals Defense is vastly overrated.

The Patriots have a good offense. This is not 2007 Patriots offense.

5. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

whichever of moss or welker revis is not covering needs to be doubleteamed. welker vs cro or wilson 1-1 would be UGLY. If that happened I could easily see 10+ catches and close to 200yds for welker or another 150yds in PI penalties.

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Is this so? Doesn't NE typically move Welker into the slot, which would put Wilson on him?

7. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

The danger in that is you saw what Heap did, and NE has 2 young really good pass catching TE's now.

8. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

The Pats have far from an "elite" offense. Where's your running game? Oh yeah, you don't have one. Well, I have news for you, the Jets pass D isn't exactly trash. I'm not saying you won't be able to pass a bit, but we sure as hell ain't the Bangels. We're going to be gunning for Brady, Moss, and Welker...because they are all you have.

What this game will come down to is Pats D vs. Jets O. The Pats D is nowhere near as good as the Ravens D, so I think that definitely benefits the Jets O. Especially in the run game where the Pats are weak (besides Wilfork). Schotty also has to be a little more unpredictable. I could tell you every play they were going to run against the Ravens before they ran it. If I can do that, you can be damn sure Belichik can...even without cameras.

I'm not going to predict an easy Jets win here. Like I said, it comes down to who wins the battle of Jets O vs. Pats D. Pats D didn't look terribly impressive in the second half against the Bengals...and Gary Guyton doesn't scare anyone.

#48 Struckanerve9, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

As far as how you handle the Pats passing game, here's my opinion...

There's really two ways you can approach this. First, you can put Revis on Welker (I know, but Moss isn't exactly a happy camper and he tends to play poorly when he's upset...Welker may be the more potent weapon right now) and have Cro on Moss with safety help over the top. Then you put Wilson on Tate. Covering TEs may be more of an issue, but keep in mind, that when the Pats have TEs in the game, they will have fewer receivers in the game, so we will likely be able to use Wilson or a safety (Pool) to cover the TE.

Second, you have Revis lock off Moss and double Welker with Cro/Wilson and a safety. This will effectively neutralize Moss and make the Pats use Welker to try and beat us. Welker has killed us before, but remember, Cro and Wilson are better (minus the dumbass penalties) than our previous CBs opposite Revis.

In either scenario, you try to rattle Brady as much as possible by dialing up ever-changing blitz packages. If the Jets can effectively manage Moss, Welker, and the combination of Tate and the Pats TEs with 4 or 5 in the secondary, the Jets remaining 6 or 7 up front should be able to manage the Pats weak run game while getting good pressure on Brady.

10. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

23 combined carries for 118 yards in week one. Not lighting it up by any means, but that's a 5.1 YPC. You can't ignore it when game-planning. There's been a concerted effort to balance out the offense a little.

If you look at '09, the Patriots were middle-of-the-road with the running game.

I think you're just under that impression because New England uses so many backs. Four guys combined for those 23 carries against the Bengals. But it doesn't matter who's got the ball if the chains are moving.

Point is, the Patriots are pass-heavy, yes, but it's not like they never run the football, or can't.

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I gotta agree. The Ravens in that one area really showed the league our big weakness there. Get a big pass catching TE in that spot and they can really take advantage of a mismatch there. You can't cover and lock everyone down.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

No need to even mention Welker; they both just need to play disciplined defense overall. Cromartie has to give his receiver some room to breathe, and then make the play, and Wilson has to turn around on his receiver and not at the last moment when the ball is already caught.

13. neg_serye

neg_serye New Member

He is even shiftier then Welker.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This sorta worries me too. Sanchez's reaction. Especially because we don't truly know if the game was called for short passes or Marc just fucked up, and either fact can fuck up his head. Especially after seeing some of his reactiong during HK, when the coaches were telling him to keep his head up.

15. patsfaninpittsburgh

Bengals have an "overrated" defense? Well, in 2009 their "overrated" defense didn't collapse in the fourth quarter in five games that resulted in losses.

Care to name an "elite" defense that collapsed against Jax, Miami (twice), Atlanta, Buffalo,? Collapses that resulted in losses?

Actually, this isn't 2007. This offense will probably be better.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Really? You think the Jets have the edge going into this game?

The Jets need to circle the wagons and get Sanchez head out of his ass (or the OC). The Jets D will have to have a great game (and they are capable) and hold the Pats to 17 points or less to have a shot.

17. patsfaninpittsburgh

In the second half when they were up 31-3 and went into a softer "prevent" mode? Perhaps watching the first half may help so you can see how to defense a real "ex USC" QB.

You are actually very smart for not predicting an easy Jets victory.

If the Jets bring yesterday's defense and gameplan on Sunday, 30 points is the floor for Brady and the offense.

18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Overall, it may be better (esp. if Mankins signs which is looking more likely). The Pats have better secondary options this year. Edelman, Tate, Gronkowski, and Hernandez are a huge step up from Watson, Gaffney....

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Pats ran for 5 yds a carry.
    The Bengals were 4th in the NFL in YPG last year and returned everyone.

Without Jenkins in the middle, the Pats could get more push and run against the Jets D.

As far as only having 3 weapons on offense, you haven't been paying attention. After this week you'll know the names Tate, Edelman, Gronkowski, and Hernandez.

The Jets will need to score to beat the pats this week because the pats will score 20 points minimum. (And I'll show up next week for the ridicule if I'm wrong)

20. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Edelman, Tate, Gronkowski, Hernandez? What the hell have they proven so far?

The thing is, that offensive system and Brady gives any meathead a decent chance to put up some numbers, so it just looked good for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.