Should Schottenheimer be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Should Brian Schottenheimer be fired as Offensive Coordinator?

1. Yes - it is his fault the Jets offense is putrid.

120 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No - it is not his fault, it is Sanchez and the players.

84 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe - I would like to give him another couple games at least.

108 vote(s)
    37.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

If last night wasn't proof enough, I think that stat line just about sums it up.

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

1 game this season. 1 game. Do you run your life with such knee-jerk reactions?

3. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. He has had plenty of time, years in fact, to make his offense go. He cannot. The offense has seriously regressed. It's time to give someone else a chance to call plays.

In an ideal world, they would cut Schott on the field. He should get no more mercy than a player in training camp for his idiocy.

6 first downs. 6!

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I do hope this is his last season with us...

5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'm as disgusted and embarrassed by the Jets offensive performance as anyone, and I'll admit that my faith in Shotty took a hit last night, but firing him right now makes no sense. Besides, the entire team lacked discipline last night, not just the offense. The defense played well at times, and bad others. It seems to me that this has turned into a circus, and that is a bad, bad thing, and falls right at Rex's feet. His team as a whole lacks any type of discipline: cheeseburgers before scrimmage, the incident with the reporter in the locker room, even the stupid "Training Camp West" bullshit. The mental breakdowns in key situations last night. Shonne Greene looking like total and complete shit. It all points to a lack of discipline that starts at the top. I have a bad feeling about this entire season from last nights game. A bad feeling indeed.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When has Brian Schottenheimer's offense made you glad that he was the Jet's OC? In 2006 the Jets were middle of the pack. They only looked good compared to 2005 when they really sucked. In 2008 Brett Favre was calling the plays at the line of scrimmage and doing the checkdown with Coles and Cotchery on a huge number of pass plays. The one where he looked at them and put his hands together to let them know that the safety was too deep and they could just slant in in front of the corner for an easy 7 to 10.

Schottenheimer's offense has been miserable for most of his tenure with the Jets. It's too slow developing and it puts enormous pressure on everybody because of the long snap counts and multiple motions involved. The only thing it is good at is creating offensive penalties.

7. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Fire him and his predictable offense. Sorry but I can tell what the play call will be 8 out 10 times each series. Run, run, checkdown, and punt. Then when they do have great field position because of the Defense it's lets run, checkdown, run, and salvage a field goal. Schotty give me a break. I would to see the JETS in the top 5 in offense and maybe then he would have a shot at winning a coaching position.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Yet nobody was calling for his head last year when we rode into the playoffs. Don't you guys realize that the playcalling was just one part of what went wrong last night? How about Sanchez' execution, poor running, drops, shit penalties etc.

Great, let's cut the OC one game into what had promised to be our best season in decades. Who do you intend to replace him with? The QB or WR coach? Callahan?

Take a deep breath.

9. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

I agree with this as well. Rex caused a complete meltdown in discipline by allowing so many distractions and instilling this frat-boy mentality. Of course they were unfocused! What did they think was gonna happen?

His saving grace, however, is that his can be easily corrected and his defense was #1 last year and are always good. Schottenheimer cannot be saved. He will always make offense way more difficult and stupid than it should be and confuse the shit out of his own players.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

FTR, no the majority does not agree it's time for him to go. As of the time of this posting 48 people think he should be fired now. 64 people believe he should get at least a couple more games.

This thread is stupid. And posting dumb things like the Jets not having a 300 yard game are retarded. How many 100 yard rushing games have we had under Schotty? The correct answer is: a metric shitton.

There are a couple of you sitting there high-fiving each other for saying Schotty sucks. All the while ignoring that Shonn Greene dropped a ball on his own guy's ass. And that he dropped a dump pass that hit him right in the hands when given another chance. And that Cotchery dropped a sure first down. And that Keller looked right at the first down marker and ignored it on the most critical play of the game. And that "Nacho's" 100 play-call LOS changes threw his guys into false starts.

WTF exactly do you expect an offensive coordinator to call? If guys don't execute, no play is going to work. Blaming a coach for guys dropping passes is retarded. Anyone want to guess how many times Sanchez did throw last night? Twenty-one times. Eleven of them were completed. Know how many times they ran the ball? Twenty-one.

So all of you fools who are sitting there talking about how Schotty should call more passing plays can STFU now. HALF the offensive plays were passing plays. Of course, only HALF of those were actually effective. How exactly is that Schotty's fault?

11. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

We just need Florio to leak that after last night's performance Schottenheimer's on the hot seat. Then that trickles down to the FO who denies it, then to the fans who are greatly in support of it, then back to the FO who are realize the fats support it, who then watch Schotty fuck up again and again with that thought in the back of their mind, to finally Woody Johnson and Rex coming together and giving him the axe!

Someone plant the seed. Someone send an anonymous email to Florio that Schottenheimer's getting fired.

12. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

So should we cut Edward for his crucial penalties? Cro? Wilson because he played like a rookis? He kept the raven td drive alive and cost the Jets a first and goal on the one. There is so much blame to go around in this game and you are seriously calling out the OC. Not to mention Sanchez looked like a deer in the headlights. Oh yeah its all shotty's fault.

13. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I voted yes because I am just so pissed right now at how horrible our offense played that I could not help but make a "Knee jerk" decision. After I calm down I would probably give him the first 4 games before I call for his head!

14. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

Callahan, for starters. The only reason it promised to be our best season in decades, is because the coaches promised us this. If the FO is serious, they will spot the turd in the punchbowl and swiftly remove it.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Late last season the Jets were running Bill Callahan's ground and pound down the stretch and in the playoffs. I could not figure out for the life of me why they kept Brian Schottenheimer after the season given that they only took off when they forced his ideas into the background after midseason.

Schottenheimer reminds me of that guy in every workplace who is supposedly really good and everybody has a high opinion of, only when you look at what he's really accomplished the answer is: not much. You get a few years down the road with that guy and productivity is lagging and you suddenly have an epiphany: if I could just get somebody in here to actually do all the work we're missing with that guy things would be fine. You fire the guy and hire somebody who just does things by the book and everything settles into place.

The Jets need to find the guy who does things by the book.

16. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

You are right, there is plenty of blame to go around. However, the Jets offense is a momentum crushing black hole from which no team could ever survive.

The playcalling was so predictable and inept as to be unbelievable. Schott Jr. has no business coaching in the NFL, period.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Excellent post. But you are being reasonable. Unlike those who want to blame BS for ALL the team's problems.

I do think, though, the general sloppiness the team showed is a problem that the CS shares the blame for. But that's the entire CS, starting with Ryan. Not just BS.

18. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

I'm sorry, but Shotty's play calling was atrocious. They barely even tried to test the Ravens weak secondary! They never once tried to stretch the field on early downs. Everything they did was entirely predictable. You don't go up against one of the best run defenses in football by running the ball 60% of the time right into the middle of them. While Sanchez didn't play a great game, he did the best he could with what he was given...which wasn't much.

19. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

This. Sanchez and the entire offense had no tempo, no rhythm. Took too long at the line, too many presnap adjustments and check downs - just run the play already, get the defense off its rhythm.

We never tried to dictate to the defense, we were too busy trying to confuse them. I hate the way BS calls a game - he's way too interested in showing how clever he is, and not interested enough in attacking a defense's weak spots.

20. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

While there was plenty of blame to go around last night, I am not sure how there could be so much apologizing for the atrocious, inept play calling from BS.

I'm not sure we were all watching the same game.