Sanchez is versatile

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you spend all offseason drilling it into Sanchez head that he can't throw picks you're setting him up for a huge failure, either in not throwing the ball downfield much or in making the normal number of picks for a second year QB who started as a rookie.

When I heard Sanchez say that his goal was to cut his interceptions in half this season the first thing that came to mind was that he was going to turn into Checkdown Chad to accomplish that. At least until Holmes came back.

Great young QB's throw a lot of picks. Almost all of them have and almost all of them will going forward. It's a condition of not having enough recognition yet, of not understanding that defenses adapt to you as quickly as you try to adapt to them, and of not having enough chemistry yet with the guys you are throwing to to be able to throw the ball to a spot on the field and have them know the ball is coming even before they've turned their head.

I'm hoping Sanchez throws 15-18 picks this season. I could live with 20-22 or therabouts if he threw the ball 450+ times. That's what will get him on the progression he needs to be on to win a Super Bowl with the Jets. If he actually throws 10 my guess is that he'll be out the door in a few years like Jason Campbell and JaMarcus Russell.

You don't pay QB's to not throw picks. You pay them to throw TD's and you don't get what you pay for without some of the other too.

2. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Eli Manning had 3 INT's on Sunday but he also had over 250 yards passing and made a number of big plays. You can't make this kid so terrified of making mistakes that he never takes ANY risks. What you need to eliminate are the total meltdowns like the Buffalo game and the New Orleans games from last year. Those were games where Sanchez was so careless with the football that he gave his team no chance of winning.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The had Wilson on Boldin because Boldin lined up in the slot. They probably don't like Cromartie in the slot because (announcers said this last night) he's tall and gangly and it would be easy for him to trip on himself if the opponent has both ways available to make a cut.

None of this would have mattered if Darrelle Revis had been covering Boldin all night long, but the Jets apparently decided (announcers also said this) that he wasn't in good enough shape to stay with Boldin all night so they put him on Mason instead.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I didn't see anything that would show that Revis was unable to cover Boldin last night. I thought, and maybe I am wrong here, but after the many costly mistakes of pass interference on the others that they started playing less man to man, and more zone coverage.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I've been waiting to bump this. Now go choke on it.