Should Schottenheimer be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Should Brian Schottenheimer be fired as Offensive Coordinator?

1. Yes - it is his fault the Jets offense is putrid.

120 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No - it is not his fault, it is Sanchez and the players.

84 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe - I would like to give him another couple games at least.

108 vote(s)
    37.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. milo

milo Well-Known Member

If you're willing to concede the season then by all means dump schotty today.

We needed one friggin offensive play to win that game...anywhere. Keller's grab at the 5 would've done it if not for the Braylon penalty.

But nobody stepped up (outside of LT). Jaco had drops, Greene had butterfingers, and Braylon was taken away because the Ravens have figured out (as has anyone who's watched this team since he got here) that if you're gonna go deep you go to him.

It didn't help that they sat Greene for a half either. Rex said he didn't, but remember when Clemens was pulled in the preseason because Rex said he had a "finger stinger?" Bullshit. So with Greene in the penalty box you've now turned LT into a vanilla running back, and all the Ravens had to do was double Braylon and beat the crap outta Keller at the line.

There's a lot of blame to go around, but there's a lot of things that are correctable. The sky's not falling, but if our O is twice as good as it was last night this Sunday the Pats will still eat our lunch.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree, and again would like to see someone address the question whether those singling BS out really think his game plan and playcalling were anything other than what Ryan and the rest of the CS expected.

With all the sloppiness you listed, though, THAT may be a coaching based problem more than the game plan.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

It's so fucking difficult to fire a O Coordinator in the beginning of the season..

Not so hard if the team is expected to go absolutely nowhere though.

As I remember in the beginning of the 2009 season we all called for his head, and it took him a few games to establish some good play calls. ..a few games I mean til like what? the playoffs? dunno.

Playing with fire when firing Schotty Jr after a week 1 debacle.

4. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

JAWS just said on Mike and Mike that once Holmes comes back in week 5, it will be much more explosive offense. I can only hope that by week 5, it's not to late for us. GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Shotty didn't call checkdown plays. As soon as Sanchez didn't have a wide open receiver, he bailed on whatever play was called and dumped it off. This can't all be laid on Shotty.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Honestly, if they are restricting Sanchez this much, they don't believe in him at all.

Even with the inept offense, they still only lost by 1 point and had numerious opportunities to win.

That's why they didnt switch up the conservative play calling, they never were out of the game.

Though, I will say this, after last season when Rex had to call the offensive plays I thought Schotty was done and if it gets to that point this season, why have him around at all if he can't do his own job?

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

U don't fire an oc after one bad game

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The offense will be much more improved, however if Holmes is the answer then Braylon needs to get his bags packed because he will not be resigned.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yeah lets fire the OC after one game against one of the best teams in the league. God some of you are absolutely clueless.

You want to blame anyone on the CS for last night it is Rex that should get the lions share. That is exactly the game he wanted and it probably would have resulted in a W if not for an inordinate amount of terrible penalties.

You can blame Schotty all you want but you would be wrong, Rex wanted that type of gameplan. Eventually we are going to have to let the QB win or lose a game, I don't disagree that last night was not the time. We should have won the game with the gameplan we had last night. Stupid penalties was the difference between winning a close one and losing a close one.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

One of the jets
    One of the jets biggest needs in the offseason was another wr, you need to be able to go 3 deep at the position...right now we only go 2

11. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I cannot believe some of you want to give him a couple more games!!
    How many years has he pulled this same crap! He has no game planning skills whatsoever.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Eggzactlee, other than your overemphasis on the penalties. A factor, no doubt, but most were good calls. So the penalties should be blamed on sloppy play by the Jets.

I love Ryan but he's not fielding a team that plays with much discipline as far as I can see.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

<snaps fingers>

Somebody beat me to it.:smile:

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I voted for all three.

This was a stupid poll.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I'm still mad that on that 3rd and long, they had Sandchez throw a 50 yard bomb....just get the first. Whatevers.

16. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

First off I haven't like Schottenhimer for awhile but last year made me almost reconsider and after seeing his personailty on Hard Knocks I was slowly forgetting that. But my issue with him is play calling and it always have been.

Does anyone remember when we had Farve and it would be 2nd down and 3 to go and you would see Farve come out in shotgun? I used to want to kill myself when I saw that... well last night we had a pass to cotch or keller for seven yards on first down. It was 2 and 3 and he comes out passing to shonne green on some check down pass which he dopped, then we passed again incomplete and the we punted. Why aren't we running the ball on 2nd down with one of thje best rushing teams in the league?

Our ability to stretch the field wasn't there and we didn't utilize our WRs abilities at all. They need to get Braylon the ball some how some way. He can make big plays and ridiculous catches you need to target him more.

Also, do you guys remember the Pete Kendall situation? When I saw we let Faneca go i thought to myself wow Calahan and the coaching staff must really be confident in Slauson to be good this year. Because we all knew that Ducasse was going to be a project that could very well work out in a year or two but didn't have the expierence in colllege to walk in and take the responsibility.

Sanhez was calling the plays I honestly believe we would have had a better game. Anyone getting on Sanchez is crazy. I am not saying fire Schotty. I am just saying lets hope the play calling improves and the execution as well or we will have big big problems. Pats defense didn't look as bad as everyone thought lst week. It will be a tough one next week.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

We should really reinstate the rule that new turds such as yourself cannot start threads or create polls.

You fail.

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

He's not a good OC, he sucks. He's got no balls and has no idea how to put together a powerful offense. Aiming for "good enough" ain't good enough, GOODBYE SHOTTY

Edit: just looked up this stat, there hasn’t been one Jets 300 yard passing game since 2006. Not even with Brett Favre. Schottenheimer is as useless as mangina

_

#58 GordonGecko, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  19. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

That's kinda funny Koz, cause it looks like the majority agree it is time for him to go.

You honestly don't think Callahan couldn't immediately step in and do a better job? Almost anyone could step in and call better plays than last night.

#59 Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Nacho calling his own plays. He sure called them better than BS in the final preseason game