Sanchez v2.0 Has Critical Bug

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 14, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

And Rex/Schotty had better be working on the patch tirelessly this week. Over the off season the Jets coaching staff clearly made it a major point of emphasis for Sanchez to cut down on the INT's that plagued him last season by not forcing the ball down field and to use his check down more often. Unfortunately they seem to have hard wired the check down part into Sanchez to the point where he doesn't even want to look down field.

The thought was that if the Jets won the turnover battle, they'd win most games. Well they were +2 in turnovers last night but the offense was so overwhelmingly conservative that its production was pathetic. 176 total yards, 1 third down conversion, 6 first downs. Even when they were under two minutes with 1 timeout Nacho was still checking down. There has to be a happy medium, especially with a defense that can be great. I'd much rather see him throw the ball downfield more often and end up with a 2TD/2INT game. Those INT's aren't always going to turn into points, especially with this defense. The kid isn't going to learn without making mistakes. You cannot protect him like this.

I don't care if it cuts into gameplanning for NE, they need to get an emergency patch out for Sanchez 2.0 immediately.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

+2 in TO ratio was pretty much negated by the penalty differential.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

Penalties were also killer, but you have to be able to produce on offense in the NFL. We won't win many games in this league converting 9% on third down and getting only 4 first downs the entire game.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If we get that O all year we won't be playing in January, I am still confident the O will be fine. I think the way the game was playing out to be a defensive struggle they didn't want Mark to turn it over and played way too conservatively.

I agree w/ your original point, hopefully that was more a product of facing Baltimore though. We have too many weapons on O to be this conservative.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Logging on this morning, I see that the Schott poll is getting some action, but I came here first.

WSW,

Good point. You suggest in effect that Sanchez is being coached in the wrong direction, or too much in that conservative direction. That may be part of it. But I doubt that the CS is telling him to not even look down the field. Yet he only took two passes downfield, one negated on a penalty and the other incomplete.

There's nothing wrong per se with checkdowns, but the Qb needs to see if downfield receivers are open. Is MS having trouble seeing the field? That would be a real concern.

In any event we now see the optimism about MS not really showing in pre-season what he had was misplaced and really foolish. I guess for starters this year we get more of, at best, a work in progress.

6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Sanchez, and Schotty need to sleep together this week, and grow some fucking balls.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't think he's specifically being told not to look down field. I think the point of emphasis about not throwing INT's and checking down was taken too far. Checking down is fine, but you have to attack too.

He is more concerned with not making a mistake than moving the chains.

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

74 yards from 21 attempts is just inexcusable, no matter what.

9. songster67

songster67 New Member

He's a deer in headlights (like many USC QBs...except Cassel who never took a snap for SC) with a suspect OC. This is our QB. Get used to it.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. What you are really saying though is the problem is mostly with MS's decisionmaking.

I agree with that, too.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

This is not our QB. Last season we saw him throwing down field. Last night he was checking down too quickly. This is a correctable problem.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

Well yea the decision making was the problem, but I think it was heavily influenced by the CS.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think the CS wanted to give Sanchez as little responsibilities as possible against the Ravens, but at the same time, Sanchez wasn't letting plays develop, WRs were dropping passes, nothing was going right for the team at all. Unprepared, couldn't execute, just so many things didn't go right for the offense. I said before that if we can't execute on a consistent basis or have some continuity on offense it's going to be a long season

Sanchez is still young, and the game may still be a little too fast for him, but if were going to win anything this year, we need to put more faith in our QB to make plays we can't treat him like this fucking fruitcake anymore, eventually Sanchez is going to get frustrated with this lack of confidence in him, we can't let that happen. That will make things worse. At the same time we need our WRs or TEs to catch passes and help Sanchez out, were not in sync at all and we need to get on page ASAP.

Regardless I still think he's a year away from being a productive player week in and week out.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That kid's head was so overcomplicated last night, I think he froze. Too many things planted in his head. On the other hand, I don't want him winging it into coverage and playing with a 1:1 touchdown to interception ratio. There's a balance somewhere, and you're right - he needs to figure it out quickly. Next week, you can bet the Patriots are going to have guys jumping all around the line trying to lock up his brain again.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Schottty called a horrible game, he called 7 passing plays the whole first, SEVEN.

They need to let Mark throw it, when he does good things happen. That pass to Keller that got called back was a beaut.

Seemed to me every time he did step back there was 2 guys about to level him. Slauson almost got him killed twice last night.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

I'd rather see a 1:1 TD/INT ratio with some semblance of offensive success than the horseshit we witnessed last night. 1:1 isn't optimal but if it comes with putting some points up at the cost of relying on our defense to make a few more plays I'm all for it.

Maybe all those presnap checks are too much for him to digest at this point. Take THAT away if you need to dumb it down, not what happens after the snap.

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

This is on the CS. Much like WSW states, the staff has ingrained "protect the ball" into Sanchez so much that he's probably afraid to make the toss down the feild. Not even 1 shot was taken at trying to get the ball to Edwards. Edwards is like 6'5" - throw the damn ball his way and let him try and make a catch.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Sanchez is to blame too, he's the one checking down too quickly, but it's on the CS to work out the problem.

19. fozzi58

What is with all that pre-snap bullshit? BS thinks that's Peyton back there? Cmon. Stop with all the trickery. Even Hackett could have done a better job. Mark's got a better arm than Penny and although Penny is a more accurate/cranial guy, Mark isn't even being given a chance

Throw the damn ball!

20. fozzi58

Oh trust me - I don't think Mark gets a full pass. He is the one that needs to execute. But the CS, much like you said, needs to get the "Windows Critical Hotfix" out this week to Mark...