The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I know people will look at 10 pts allowed and tell us the D was great, they'll blame the O who was horrible but the D simply couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs whether by a penalty or not.

Bal converted on 3rd and 9, 3rd and 13, 3rd and 28, 3rd and 9, 3rd and 9, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 10.

This is not big time defense, this is not what a dominant defense does. We can blame some bad calls but when you play undisciplined football you aren't getting the benefit of the doubt w/ the officials and we deserved most of those penalties.

Instead of eating cheeseburgers on the field maybe the DBs should have been working? Cromartie was BRUTAL, he was picked on all night and it could have been alot worse. Wilson was bad but I'll cut him some slack since it was his first game. Revis wasn't really tested though watching him he didn't look normal yet and that is to be expected which is bad news for next week.

The O was awful but b/c Baltimore controlled the clock our O could never get into a rythm. I believe b/c the D couldn't get off the field the O then tried to work the clock instead of just playing offense, the tempo was terrible. Every play we were running down the playclock and looked hurried. I understand playing conservative w/ our D against their D but at some point you have to let the QB play.

It's one game and it was against a top DT but Slauson was awful, I have never seen Faneca bowled over the way I saw Slauson get bowled over. Some of our worst fears came true in this game w/ the LG, w/ Greene's fumbling, w/ Jenkins' injury.

On STs we were great, Folk was perfect, Weatherford had one of the best games I have ever seen from a Jets punter, coverage was good, returns were good. No complaints on STs.

We expected a low scoring defense dominated game and we got that, we saw one D look like a dominant D and another look like a paper tiger again. Our D is very good, it's not great YET.

Regardless of what happened last night it is just one game and we played about as poorly as we could and still lost by just 1 point to a top team so all is not lost. It was frustrating and I kind of expect to be 0-2 but there's alot of football to be played and I think we will be fine over the long haul.

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

3. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Your nuts! While I'll agree they made stupid mistakes they were great last night. They completely shut down one of the best backs in the league. Not only that I was shocked they didn't break down being on the field all night. The only TD allowed was on a bs call in the endzone. This D is everything they said it would be.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Undisciplined play everywhere cost this team.... If the offense showed up like the Defense then the outcome may have been different.

If the defense cost this team you dont know football....

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

yawn.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Great post junc but the truth is as bad as the defense was on 3rd down our offense had the ball with an upportunity to win the game wtice in the last 5 minutes and went 3 and out once and went what 7 and out the 2nd time. We didn't have one possesion where we got more then one 1st down and we didn't even take a shot at the end zone when we had it at the twelve. I think we had 3 possesions that started inside the Ravens 30 and all we could muster was 6 points out of that?

Your right people will look at the score and say that was only a 1 point game and say that the terrible call on Edwards cost us the game but they will fail to recognize that Heap dropped a sure TD and McGahee fumbled on what the 22 or 23 yard line. If that was the Pats or Colts we lose by two touchdowns. Our D was so bad on 3rd down that our O never really got on the field but the chances they did have they didn't really make me confident that they would make any plays.

There was a clear lack of focus by the offense, a few false starts (which I blame on that dummy count bs) sorry Sanchez is not Manning. Drops by Greene, and the usually very reliable Cotch. An illegal motion that negated a big gain and Sanchez not even looking down field.

7. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

what drug are you on. The offense sucks

8. jcluttrell

jcluttrell New Member

So you're saying the first downs the ravens received from our defense getting penalties played no part in this game? Our D was great, yes, but the 7 they put on the board was solely because of Edwards/Cromartie.

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I do agree that the time of possession was a factor in our Offense not being able to settle into any kind of a rhythm. Still doesn't excuse how absolutely putrid our Offense was, but the fact that the D couldn't get off the field certainly didn't help.

10. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

D was on the field all day. Dont you think they get tired? Not there fault, dumb ass.

11. sackexchange

To the original poster's point - don't you think it was partially their fault that they were on the field all day? Ravens killed us in time of possession and our Defense was horrendous on 3rd down.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You guys can say junc is nuts but I believe that your play forces teams to make mistakes. Baltimore was more aggressive last night on both sides of the ball and that's why we made mistakes. If you play agressive your going to create mistakes by the other team. Flacco knew the way Anderson and his cast of idiots were calling the game and they took advantage. As bad as the offense was it wasn't Greene and Sanchez getting called for PI or defensive holding on 3rd and longs.

Those 3rd down plays junc listed, were those ficticious? No they are facts. We can say the D shut down Ray Rice and they did. They also kept the Ravens out of the end zone but 3rd dowqn is part of the game just like Special Teams cost us the 2nd Dolphag game last year.

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

fucking choking cost us the game. we had this fucking game in the bag with all those turnovers. fucking penalties. biggest joke ever. go for it on 4th and 1 rex make a fucking statement.

let the fucking kid throw the ball.

14. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

The defense definitely did not lose that game. Almost any other teams defense playing with those penalties and our offense would have been blown out entirely. Wilson and Cromartie were big problems on Defense (along with the scheme putting Wilson on Boldin 1 on 1). Other then those two the defense was completely lights out.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We had 176 total yards on offense, 4 first downs, and 1 third down conversion. The offense scored 9 points when they were put in great position quite often.

You will lose the overwhelming majority of the time when your offense is that inefficient. I'd love to see how many teams won games last year when scoring 9 points.

I don't care how many 3rd downs the Jets D gave up, they allowed 10 points which is enough to win the overwhelming majority of the time in the NFL.

You have to score points.

If you want to say the defense wasn't great, fine, but they didn't cost us the fucking game. That's just being ridiculous to argue, almost to the point of trolling.

16. sackexchange

As hard as last night's game was to watch I think that next Sunday may be worse. The Pats are not the same team that we beat here last year. Their passing attack is much more diverse and much more potent than Baltimore's.

Only thing we have going for us is that it's virtually impossible for the Offense to play worse than it did last night and it's also unlikely that the Jets will be penalized as much as last night.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I agree to a point junc. The entire D didn't cost us the game. Two players from the D cost us the game. Cromartie and Wilson. They were abused on 3rd down whether by the pass or the penalty they cost us those 3rd downs.

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Dude, this is BEYOND stupid. If not for the Jets' defense this game is a 28-3 blowout. The Ravens' offense was largely stymied by the Jets' D. The Jets' offense consistently had good field position and turned in a historically awful performance.

It's not realistic to ask much more of your defense. It is, however, very necessary to ask more of your offense. If you think this game is on the defense, I don't really know what to say to you.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's not their fault they couldn't stop Baltimore all night? really?

They were beaten so badly all night, they just killed us whether getting beat or drawing penalties.

Only 10 pts but they allowed Baltimore's O to control the game. I realize this is a difficult concept for you to wrap your head around since the final score shows 10 pts but dig deeper. The D did some good things and the O did suck butt he D allowed Baltimore's O to control the game and it had an effect on our O.

20. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member