Why was Revis on the #3 receiver?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kmj6z, Sep 14, 2010.

1. kmj6z

kmj6z New Member

Cromartie and Wilson got burned all game.

I thought the point of our defense is that Revis is alone and we shift coverage to the other side so they are forced to throw to Revis, not hide Revis and leave the other guys out to dry 1 on 1

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think they were trying to break Revis back in, and they felt comfortable with Cro and Wilson covering the #1 and #2 since they participated in the entire Preseason and looked decent.

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

That's it. /thread.

Fuck you, Feinsod.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It seemed like they had the guys cemented into their positions (Revis @ LCB, Cro @ RCB and Wilson in nickel) and Baltimore moved the WRs around.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Moving Revis over to cover Boldin would have been a wise second half adjustment.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

seemed retarded to me that they kept putting the rook on Boldin.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Having Revis on him all game would have been a wise adjustment. He didn't get the Revis Island moniker by locking down the Derrick Masons and TJ Houshmanfucks of the league

#7 ace_o_spades, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. mpjohnny5

mpjohnny5 Active Member

Thickhead coaching staff. Same staff that was soo proud that our offensive line was gonna beat there front 7 by pounding the ball with Lt up the middle every single play

9. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

I kind of think whoever Revis was on would seem like the #3 receiver. To me, going into the game I would've ranked their WRs Boldin, Mason, Housh (he was just cut after all), and they were covered as if it were Mason, Housh, Boldin. So I would've put Revis on Boldin definitely, but then I think it's just as likely we'd be complaining Revis wasn't on Mason.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Mason is not the #3 receiver...#2 perhaps, and he knows the offense and Flacco a lot better than Boldin. If anything I think they should have put Cromartie on Boldin more for size but Cro-Wilson didn't make that much difference anyway.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Absolutely not. The whole premise of putting Revis on the #1 receiver is you take your chances on the other guys beating you. On back to back plays Boldin got 30+ yard receptions. That doesn't happen against Revis. They scored a FG on that drive and the Jets lost by 1

12. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm actually not sure it was that. Rex does this sometimes and it's frustrating because it rarely works and I don't get why he does it. For example, I don't think Revis was on Wayne or Jackson in the playoffs last year, because Rex moved him around. Whoever Revis was guarding never got a catch, but the other guys just torched our #2s and 3s, as the Ravens did tonight. If Revis had been on Boldin the whole time, we may have won.

13. allan1

allan1 Active Member

You could make the argument that Boldin and Mason are 1 and 1a. Revis has to cover one of them...he was on Mason and even rusty shut him down

14. Pick6Revis

Pick6Revis New Member

This

Maybe after the 3rd time you got burned on 3rd down Rex would have stopped the Blitzes.

Maybe Cro has a hard time vs Slot receivers. Next Week do we stick Revis on Moss or perhaps give Cro to Moss w/ Safety help and Stick Revis on Welker.

I wouldnt want Kyle to go straight into the fire Bolden/Welker.

I'd rather have Wilson on the field to attack Brady on 1st and 2nd down

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Say what you want about Wilson, but the guy is going to be pretty good. His coverage was for the most part excellent. The toughest part for any CB is learn how to turn around to the play. When Wilson learns how to do this he will be a really good one.

Revis said this was the toughest thing he had to learn. It took him a good 8-9 games to get it. I remember complaining about the same shit...... "Man he can cover but he needs to turn around and follow the ball"

16. i82much

i82much New Member

Ravens fan here ... I hear what you're saying, but Flacco has great chemistry with Mason. At least Flacco to Boldin was more likely to run into some miscommunication or a busted route and maybe a pick. If I were the D coordinator against the Ravens this year I'd put my #1 corner on Mason all day long. At least until mid-season when Boldin and Flacco have really had some reps together.

Mason is actually still really freakin' good. You never see him get shut down in single coverage like Revis did most of tonight. Basically you took away our go-to guy but thankfully this offseason we finally picked up another respectable option.

I guess what I'm really saying is that in a vacuum, Boldin is better than Mason, but right now I think Flacco to Mason is more dangerous than Flacco to Boldin. Or at the very least I thought that until I watched tonight's game.

And I tell you what, with last year's receiving corps, I bet we'd have lost this game.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Every time I saw someone other than Revis on Boldin I wanted to shoot someone. After seeing Cromartie and Wilson get burned on multiple 3rd and longs, you'd figure they'd figure out how to cover Boldin and Heap...

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Changing the defensive scheme from assignment to position d was(in hindsight) a terrible decision for this defense.

19. DSkurn

DSkurn New Member

I thought it was smart to have Revis on Mason. Mason is a great receiver who runs perfect routes and catches the most important passes.

Boldin was new and bigger and more physical, but usually runs across the middle more where we'd have to roll some extra coverage to keep up. Revis is better staying on the outside and just shutting down someone, and Mason was picked out for the most part tonight. Good move.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I was surprised by this too but I just can't get on the defense for anything after the way they played tonight in comparison with the offense. The defense completely shut down the Ravens running game and gave up 10 points (7 of which came off of a fucking running into the kicker penalty and an AWFUL DPI call that put the ball on the 1 yard line - Thus, the defense EASILY could have only given up 3-6 points) And even if you thought the DPI and running into the kicker calls were legit, when you give up ten points you expect to win the fucking game.

The bottom line is, the offense was terrible. Between the Greene fumble (biggest play of the game), the HUGELY underrated illegal shift penalty on Braylon when Sanchez hit Keller for a first and goal at the 4 yard line, Cotchery's huge dropped pass, Keller's game-ending "shortcomming", and the overall embarrasing lack of execution/production on the offensive side of the ball, it was clear that our offense cost us this game. It really is that simple.

#20 slimjasi, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010