Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

^good post

Joe would have never been Broadway without

[​IMG]

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I think one could also argue that Maynard wouldn't have been Maynard without Joe, they were a perfect match

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Those are interesting. People might say "oh, he was .500, big deal", but the Jets teams from 73 -76 were bad, bad, bad teams. IIRC, the starting Jet backfield in the opener of 75 was Lou Giammona and Ed Marinaro. Think about that for a second.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, what those numbers show is that during the Namath era, the Jets were terrible when he was out. They played .326 football without him and .496 football with him. That is a pretty big difference and would seem to indicate that Namath was vital to the Jets having any kind of success.
    When Dallas was without Troy Aikman, they would still win with Steve Beuerlein, Bernie Kosar, or Jason Garrett.
    The Bills would not suffer a big dropoff when Jim Kelly was out.
    San Francisco would still do okay when Joe Montana was out and they had to use Steve Young.
    Dan Marino went down with an Achilles injury early in the 1993 season and turd QB Scott Mitchell still got the team to 9-7. True, they did not qualify for the playoffs, but the team didn't play .326 football either.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You forgot one:

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

And likely more.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Someday you guys will actually read my posts instead of interpreting what you believe I post.

and if that statement is correct than the "great" Joe Namath wasn't winning games w/ his career record under .500 and his leading teams to just TWO postseason apps in his career and only winning postseason games in one them.

Pretend we don't know who I am talking abou, would you think the player below is one of the 100 greatest players of all time?

47 more INTs than TDs
    under .500 record as a starter in regular season
    2 career playoff wins
    2 career playoff apps

This proves what? that we were mediocre w/ him and bad w/o him? No one said Joe sucked, he just wasn't great long enough to be a top 100 player of all time.

I thank you for the well thought out post but I don't compare Joe to guys from different eras, I compare him to guys from his eras and yardage is great but points are what matters and throwing 47 more INts than TDs where the top QBs usually had + TD to INT rations means he put his D's in terrible spots and was costing his O's chances to score more.

You bring up Staubach and Unitas comparing their INt %.

Staubach: +44 TDs to INTs
    Unitas: +37
    Namath: -47

One of those 3 do not belong

I am w/ you on the injuries, I think they robbed him of being a true all-time great but injuries are part of the game. There are a million guys who had careers cut short b/c of injuries that we could say would have been great but injuries are part of the game and b/c of the injuries he wasn't great long enough.

They changed that rule in 1974 and Joe went out and threw 20 TDs to 22 INTs in 1974.

The rules changes don't mean alot b/c again I am not comparing him to marino, Montana, Brady,... I am comparing him to QBs of his era who managed to not have a -47 TD to INT ratio.

If Namath was healthy and played today he'd tear the league apart, he'd be putting up Manning #s w/o question but he was never healthy and he isn't playing today but again I do thank you for the excellent, well thought out post. It is much appreciated that you didn't have to attack me but rather just stuck to the topic at hand. I appreciate that.

8. nyjunc

They went 10-5 w/ Cassell as the starter a year after going 16-0 so that's 6 less wins against a creampuff schedule. The difference btw 2007 NE to 2008 NE in terms of win % w/ Cassell as the starter was .33, the difference btw the Jets w/ and w/o Namath win % wise was .17.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I particularly get a kick out of how he pulls his pants up to his neck. He looks like some guy in a Florida retirement community

10. Murrell2878

And the following year they were 10-6 again with Brady as the QB. Plus who cares that Cassel didn't start the opening game. He was in there before halftime and guided them to the opening day victory against the Chiefs. He won 11 games as a player - 1 more than the Pats won the following year with Brady back.

11. nyjunc

against a much more difficult sched in a year Brady was playing after being off for a year.

QBs get wins credited to their resume when they start games. He won 10 games as a starter against one of the easiest scheds in recent memory, a sched we had too but w/ our future HOF QB we choked.

12. Murrell2878

I don't care who gets credited for the win statistically. Cassel led them to that victory in the opening game and was the starter for 10 more wins.

13. pisano24

pisano24 Member

this thread needs to end

14. nyjunc

Cassell was 10-5 as the starter in 2008, I agree he was the QB most of the game where they squeaked by at home against one of the worst teams in the league but he doesn't get credit b/c he didn't start.

Either way, the difference btw 16-0 and 11-5 is much greater than the difference w/ and w/o Joe for the Jets. You tried to tweak Brady and you miscalculated. I don't get why you cannot give the man credit yet you slobber over fantasy QBs?

15. Murrell2878

He came in and led them to 11 wins.

I never bring up fantasy. You do. You seem to be obsessed with Fantasy Football.

I didn't miscalculate. It's a fact that without Brady the Pats still won 11 games.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

ummmmm....He is?

17. nyjunc

You are tryong to tweak Brady to pump up Manning and his fantasy #s but you failed b/c the difference w/ Joe and his backups was much greater than Brady '07 to Cassell '08 despite the creampuff sched in '08.

18. Murrell2878

Where did I mention Manning? Where did I mention fantasy numbers??

The facts are the facts and you are having a difficult time accepting them. Why? I don't know. I didn't even address you in this thread.

Fact: The Patriots won 11 games being led by Matt Cassel.

Since you brought up Manning, how many games would the Colts win this year if Manning went down?

19. nyjunc

You didn't have to mention him, you threw in what you thought was a dig at Brady b/c you always do that to try to pump up Manning but it backfired.

Fact: The pats won 10 games started by Cassell.

If the Colts had a bakcup as good as Cassell or Sorgi and a sched as soft as the '08 pats? They'd win 11-12 games. if they had Curtis Painter at QB they'd win 4 games.

20. Murrell2878

It backfired? Are you serious? :breakdance:

I'm typing down facts and YOU are bringing up Manning. I never mentioned Manning or fantasy stats. You are way too obsessed and defensive of Tom Brady....closet Pats fan??

FACT - Cassel led the Patriots to 11 wins in 2008.

You are nuts if you think Sorgi is leading the Colts to 11 or 12 wins.