"Jets will stink, Sanchez overhyped"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by steves850, Sep 10, 2010.

1. steves850

steves850 Active Member

This is from Jason Whitlock of foxsports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-season-preview-whitlock-brings-the-truths

7. How did cussing at football practice become controversial?

I like and respect Tony Dungy a great deal, but he needs to learn he doesn't have to comment on every topic. Dungy ignited the "Hard Knocks"/Rex Ryan cussing controversy by answering Dan Patrick's question. Now commissioner Roger Goodell has come down on Rex and the Jets.

Just say no (comment), Tony.

Dungy acknowledged he hadn't watched "Hard Knocks." Dungy doesn't strike me as an HBO kind of guy. Had Dungy actually watched "Hard Knocks," he'd be outraged by Antonio Cromartie's inability to name his children.

P.S. The Jets are going to stink this year. Mark Sanchez is another overhyped USC quarterback.

6. Speaking of overhyped USC quarterbacks, here's my theory on Sanchez, Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer.

They don't face enough adversity in college to build the necessary toughness to thrive for a sustained period in the NFL. Pete Carroll's teams were stacked with so much depth and talent that Saturdays were easy. The Trojans had an advantage at nearly every position. Sanchez, Leinart and Palmer threw from "clean" pockets. They're no good when they have to move their feet in the pocket or leave the pocket.

OK, I realize Palmer looked pretty good before having his knee destroyed.

But the best playoff quarterbacks in the last decade -- Brady, Big Ben and Kurt Warner -- all are/were terrific under duress. Brady had to scrap to play at Michigan. Big Ben and Warner played with mid-major talent in college.

A quarterback can get spoiled in college and never recover.

Not sure if its just reaction to all the hype around the Jets or if its a legit opinion either way fuck Jason Whitlock.

2. swifty_0

swifty_0 New Member

Yes, I agree. Sanchez is incapable of moving out of the pocket.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree. January games on the road against division winners is pussy bullshit and should be ignored.

This whole article is a "look at me, look at me" publication.

This is why I rarely read an article about football. They don't tell you anything, its about promoting their name. Whitlock is well known, but this is easily an attention grabber.

I shrug. I move on.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im gonna agree with him completely about that USC thing.

I think thats a large part of why Leinart is god fricken awful.

Fortunately for us Sanchez only played 1 year there. And I think its absolutely a significant part of why he had a rough rookie year. His problems aren't skill or talent its usually decision making under pressure.

That said he didnt play for that soft cupcake USC team for a long time, and fortunately for him he ended up on one of the most physical toughest teams in the nfl. So everyday at practice hes going up against and learning from some tough SOBs. I think his time at USC has a lot to do with his somewhat excessive joking around/pranks but theres no doubt in my mind that Rex will make a man of him .

5. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Yeah there is some validity in the USC theory but I did take offense to the "Jets are gonna stink" comment which made every other point moot in my mind.

6. EnigmatiC

EnigmatiC Member

hahahaha the guy says Sanchez can't move around and out of the pocket?? Wow what a garbage article Sanchez is actually a better passer on the run.

7. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

here's my theory: every single writer on the Net knows that their worth is measured by the reaction their story generates. They also know the Jets have a rabid fanbase. Ergo, piss off Jets fans, get tons of responses, be they positive or negative, and boom, you've done your job.

8. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

more than half of writers and analysts aren't even picking us to the win the division, let alone make it to the superbowl.

people are still picking the pats...which is stupid. how are they going to hold up with that defense and offensive line problems?

eh, who gives a shit. monday can't come soon enough

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just being a homer but I thought Sanchez did pretty well when pressured last year for a rookie.

10. CityIsland Jet Fan

CityIsland Jet Fan New Member

good thing he only played one year at USC

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think there is a point to the USC thing, think of all the great QB's USC had in the their history and how many of them have turned out to be great NFL QB's. None

Sean Salisbury
    Rodney Pete
    Todd Marinovich
    Rob Johnson
    Carson Palmer
    Matt Lienart

The good thing is we don't need Sanchez to be great, we only need him to not suck. If he turns out to be Carson Palmer pre knee injury this team could win multiple SBs, if not then we're the Bills with Rob Johnson. A good team with a QB who only had a few shining moments.

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Let's be honest, it was only pre-season but Sanchez for the most part looked like dog-shit out there. You can at least see why some folks have their doubts re: how far this team can really go.

13. CMR1975

CMR1975 New Member

I think one season is a little early to decide if he's overhyped or not.

#13 CMR1975, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I agree that he looked like shit in the pre season. But the guys point about not experiencing any tought imes in college is moronic based onhis two playoff wins on the road last year. Two road playoff wins in the NFLmore than make up for any college experience or lack there of

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Now that summer and kids' birthday parties have run their course, did your wife give you your balls back yet?

16. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I'm not going to buy into this idea that it's USC QBs... not from looking at just three. Carson Palmer... he was a pretty damn solid QB prior to the knee injury. And post-injury are we sure it is Palmer and not the Bengals themselves that suck? Sanchez doesn't have to be a HoF QB for us... he just has to be a decent game manager and make a few plays when we need him to. If he limits his turnovers he'll get us by.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How could playing better than any rookie QB in NFL playoff history possibly overshadow the fact that the college he attended does not have a good track record for producing NFL QB's? I'm sorry to say, but the list of players that came before him controls his destiny, and there's nothing Sanchez can do about it.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Brady had a very good line in front of him at Michigan, good running back, receivers. Don't know about Ben and Warner, don't watch enough college ball.

The writer has 3 QB's since 2000 from USC to use as examples. Palmer has definitely proven himself, Leinart has not and Sanchez took the Jets to the AFCCG in his rookie season where he was 17/30 for 257.

Guess we will just have to wait on Sanchez to really rate him but the writer is just looking for reaction as they all do.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That article is total horseshit.

There are so many places where it is wrong that it's hard to even begin shooting it down, but I'll give it the old college try.

First, Tom Brady held Michigan back in the time he was QB there. He was a slow-footed QB with a mediocre release who only had one real plus and that was his arm strength. The pressure he was under all the time was related directly to the fact that he didn't move particularly well in the pocket and he had a tendency to hold the ball when he should have been throwing it away.

I'm a huge Michigan fan and I really didn't care when the Patriots got him. Henne to the Fins was kind of annoying but Brady to the Pats was a yawner. Then Charlie Weis molded a hall of fame QB out of 6th round primal clay.

Second, Mark Sanchez performance last year was better than you'd have expected that a rookie with 1 year of experience playing at the NCAA level would produce when thrown into a full time starting gig right away in the NFL. He actually played very well in the first 3 and the last 6 games of the season and was a major part of the reason the Jets made the playoffs at all, let alone did anything once they got there.

Yes, he was also the reason they were in trouble midway through the season, but he was a freaking rookie and that was the expected result when you add a bit of NFL reality to first year exuberance and shake.

Yes, he will probably struggle some this year and the Jets will probably win a game or two less than they would with a seasoned pro at QB. That's also par for the course for second year QB's.

The Falcons didn't make the playoffs last year because Matt Ryan wasn't up to the task of having a consistently good performance week after week. He threw 2 interceptions against Dallas and the Falcons lost. He threw 3 interceptions against the Saints and the Falcons lost. He threw 2 more against Carolina and the Falcons lost. That's half his interceptions in 3 games and the Falcons went 0-3 in those 3 games.

Joe Flacco? 2 Ints against Cincinnati and the Ravens lost. 2 Ints a few weeks later against the Bengals and another loss. That was the AFC North division title right there in 2 games and the second year QB came up short. It is what it is.

Predicting that Sanchez is going to be a bit shaky this year is an easy call. Saying that it has anything to do with playing at USC is ridiculous. If Carson Palmer doesn't get his knee blown out in the playoffs against the Steelers you're looking at a possible hall of fame career there. How many schools produce hall of fame quarterbacks on a regular basis? Not many. Barring injury Sanchez is going to be the second really good to great QB that USC produced in the first decade of the 21st century. That one you can take to the bank.

And in 4 or 5 years you're going to be hearing people talk about USC as a place that has produced some really good QB's. By then most of the hacks writing about Sanchez now will have found out that there is more money doing technical writing than pretending they know something because the rest of the herd is grazing on the spot.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is Jason Whitlock's attention-whorish attempt to take some shots at 2 of the leading storylines of the offseason in 1 article - the Jets and USC. He's latching onto the media frenzy surrounding both the Jets and USC have been experiencing so he can get some hype of his own.

Nothing to see here.