Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

How is this thread still going....? Guy had a bad day, said his piece, then he got verbally attacked numerous times and everybody got some shit off their chests. Fair to say, enough is enough?

2. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Maybe some other people want to get something off their chest too?

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Ok, this thread jumped the shark like 3 days ago....

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm not anti-Namath, I'm pro truth. It bothers me to have to speak the turth about the face of our franchise but the facts are he wasn't great long enough to be a top 100 player of all time.

I appreciate what Joe and the '68 team did but I'd be a fraud if I sat here and spoke about how great Namath's career was or how I am happy to see him embarrass the organization time after time in recent years.

5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Joe's like the uncle that fought in WW 2.
    You love him for what he's done, but you know he's a little on the kooky side nowadays.

I'd call him Uncle Joe, but that name has been ruined for all time.

6. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Then stop clicking on it. I haven't had a chance to read it until today. I said my piece. I didn't attack anyone, so relax. By the way, if you want a thread to die, bumping it isn't the best way.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

nyjunc roots for the Yankees and North Carolina. He's had so much champagne he's been in and out of rehab about five times.

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

So, I bumped a thread that had an reply ONE minute earlier. Should I throw myself off a building because of it?
    When did I attack you, out of curiosity?

9. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Never said you did. What are you so worked up about, bro?

10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

How could you get tired of the guy who was SO hammered on national TV that he told Suzy Kolber not once but TWICE that he wanted to kiss her!

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well it is expected with the NYYs right? As for NC that is another expected win since that is a college more interested in winning basketball championships then educating students to lead our country into the future. Winning a SB championship is quite different IMHO & that is why I posted what I posted. I was aware that Junc roots for the NYYs & NC but thanks for the heads up anyway

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, that's right. ALL the football experts are wrong. They are out of their cotton pickin' minds. :rolleyes:

You, on the other hand, are totally correct. NFL Films should have consulted you and only you for this project.

13. nyjunc

I know I'm right, I don't care what other people think. I form my own opinions. How come when SI named him the most overrated athlete that was dismissed but this poll is gospel?

There's just no way in the history of the game that joe Namath is in the top 100 players, it's not possible for what he actually did on the field. Is he one of the 100 most important players? absolutely, he's alot closer to 1 than he is 100 but that's a different question.

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm less tired of Namath today than I was yesterday, but more tired of Namath today than I was a week ago.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am pretty sure I know what SI article you are talking about. For some reason the year 2003 sticks in my mind. We can find it at the SI Vault.

I don't remember Namath being listed as the most overrated athlete of all-time, but until I find the article, I'll take your word for it. The only thing I remember was they had Franco Harris as the most overrated RB and Freeman McNeil as the most underrated.

I also want to see who did the voting with the SI overrated/underrated list.

It's going to be hard to top the panel who did the voting for the NFL Films top 100.

Through the first 20 players on that list, there has not been one player's inclusion who made me scratch my head. Namath, Sam Huff, and Michael Irvin would not have made my top 100 (all three would have been in the 101-200 range), but they are Hall of Famers, so it is not outlandish that they cracked the top 100. In addition to those three who definitely would not make my top 100, Michael Strahan might not make my top 100. He came in at 99 on the list.

Most of the time on these lists the biggest debates will be at the bottom and at the top. Sure enough we are debating the inclusion of the guy who was ranked right at 100.

#275 Cakes, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  16. nyjunc

We all have our opinions. I don't get how a guy who didn't put up big #s and didn't win can be one of the top 100 players of all time. Durability counts so the injuries cannot be used as an excuse, this is about results and the results he put up are not good enough to be one of the top 100 players of all time. Top 100 talents? sure, top 100 most important? absolutely but top 100 from on field play? not a chance.

17. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

[​IMG]

13 Nov 1968, New York– The glamour boy of professional football– Joe Namath of the Jets has scored again. His “Fu Manchu” look of 1968 is a far cry from his clean cut look at the University of Alabama in 1964. In 1966 he tried the long-to-the-side look and in 1967 it was the tossed-salad effect. He hadn’t been scoring with touchdown passes recently and hasn’t been shaving his whole face either. But, he’s quarterbacked the NY Jets to the top of the heap- and that’s where it’s at. — Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS

[​IMG]

12 Dec 1968– New York Jet quarterback Joe Namath is kidded December 12th by teammates Don Maynard (left) and Jim Turner (right) after he shaved off his Fu Manch mustache. Namath and some of the other Jets wore extravagant beards, mustaches and sideburns this season refusing to shave until they won the AFL Eastern title. — Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS

[​IMG]

#277 jets&rushfan, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  18. Al13

Al13 Member

not as much as of Rex Ryan

19. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Talk about an exaggeration! Time after time. You're an idiot. If you don't appreciate what Joe Namath did for this organization and the amazing talent he truly was then you're not a true Jet fan.

20. nyjunc

What part of "I appreciate what Joe and the '68 team did " did you miss?