Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

who has a fatter ass cakes, Joe Namath or Sid Fernandez?

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Those comments are ridiculous and I have to think we don't have posters here that are truly that retarded to actually believe that about Namath.

3. ........

........ Trolls

Haha.

You realize you kind of concede defeat when you have to go to that, right?

4. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

[​IMG]

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

No doubt about that.

As Sundayjack himself wrote recently, anybody who goes the pitcher's ass route with me is conceding defeat.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I think Namath is one of the bottom dozen QBs in the Hall. I thought if he made that list it would be on Show 1, which covered players 100-91.

Brett Favre of his era is actually a good description in my opinion.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well dude, you questioned where anyone said that. I pointed out that they were on teh same page as my comment. Retarded comments? yes. Thats why I mentioned them.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Stupefying, isn't it?

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^Stupefying indeed. What these kids don't realize is that Namath is not in the Hall simply because of his on field exploits. They only know the NFL as the hugely successful entertainment that it has become. When Namath joined the AFL, pro football was behind baseball, college football, and HORSE RACING in popularity in this country. Namath helped bring pro football players recognition, and broke them out of the anonimity that many of them toiled under. The Colts-Giants OT championship game was the first step -later Namath help add personality to the game, and, more importantly, got YOUNG PEOPLE, such as myself at the time, interested. Pro football was considered an old man's game, reflecting what was thought of as outdated values. People like Lamar Hunt, Sid Gillman, Pete Rozelle and Joe Willie brought football front and center, and Namath showed that football stars were worth big money. Mr. Revis' nice fat contract is in no small part due to Joe Willie breaking down doors. The success of the NFL came more quickly due to Namath, and THAT is why he is a hall of famer. And not for nothing, but he was one courageous mf, often playing when he should have been in a hospital bed. You youngsters have to take our word for it - Joe Willie deserves every accolade he gets.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Of course comp % then isn't what it is like today but using those players as an example:

Td to INt ratio:

Starr:+14
    Jurgensen:+66
    Unitas:+37

Dawson:+56
    Namath:-47
    Hadl:-24

Which HOFer doesn't belong?

Who cares? that is waht all QBs did back then. You guys make it out to be a big deal that he called his own plays, it wasn't.

He's clearly not one of the top 100m players of all time but he was voted the most overrated player in the history of sports by SI a few years back.

Joe was an important figure in the history of the game but he did not have a great career. He had some great years but b/c of injuries couldn't sustain greatness, he's in the Hall b/c of the guarantee and the significance of SB III. If that game doesn't happen(or if the team w/ the better record hosted the title game- there's no way we win at oakland if they hosted the title game) Joe isn't in the Hall.

11. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

No I am not, the guy could come punch me in the face and I would thank him. He's one of the few true Jet legends.

12. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

true Jet Legend???

we have like 4

namath
    maynard
    klecko
    martin

its time for our core 4 to make their name cemented into Jet History.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yup that's why I said he's one of a few. I agree 100% with your list, just that Namath is number 1 on that list simply because of the Super Bowl. Maybe Matt Snell and Sauer just for their key addition to the SB III victory.

14. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

im more tired of being reminded of our years of failure.than i am of joe namath.i still have my jersey of namath's when i was a kid and every laughed at me for being a jets fan.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well IMHO that complaint should be directed to the owner since the "buck stops at his desk" not JWN right?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Seeing him play on a grainy recording and seeing him play during SBIII in '69 and understanding what he meant to fans are not the same thing.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Not to mention the fact that the Jets of 1969 had a fanbase that was only following the team for about 5 years (not counting the Titans years).

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

About those numbers - Starr, Unitas and Dawson played the majority of their careers for solid teams - they consistantly had players around them that were of a like caliber and talent. Namath had 2 seasons (maybe 3) where the players around him were of his caliber. As I mentioned before, Namath (and Hadl, for that matter), played on some horrendous teams, where he was the ONLY quality skill player. Jurgensen played on some mediocore Washington teams, but he was mainly a short range, high percentage passer. While I agree that if he doesn't win the SB he may not be in the HOF, It is not the only reason he is there - as I said in my prior post, what he did for the NFL as a whole is a large part of why he is there. Namath helped the league become the multi billion dollar industry it is today. And, not for nothing, I saw all these guys play. At his best, Namath could outpreform any of them.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My copy is not grainy & it is still better then NOT seeing him play at all right?

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Nice post, and you saved me the trouble of posting something like it. Yes, people who don't get what you are saying post to the contrary out of ignorance. It's an easy thing for ignorant people to come on a message board and say things that are uninformed and poorly reasoned. Those would be the people saying negative crap about Namath.