Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Okay, well to start this off, here are Paul Zimmerman's comments on Super Bowl 3-

In A Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, Paul Zimmerman wrote this about Namath's Super Bowl 3 performance:

Zimmerman also had this to say:

and this:

2. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

As I expected, you are a worthy adversary.

Like I said, he played a smart and efficient game in SB3, but that was not consistent with his career as a whole. How can Zimm (one of the great football minds of our time, his stroke is a tragedy) categorize him as a "careful, conservative, meticulous" quarterback, when he produced the stats he did.

And I'm not comparing to stats now, I'm comparing the stats to his hall of fame level peers of that era, guys he is not even CLOSE to in efficiency and conservativity. Being the first 4K QB slaps conservativity in the face. He won 2 passing titles and 4 interceptions titles.

I just have a hard time giving him THAT much credit, when the defense threw out a complete gem against the Colts, and our run:pass was 43:29. The Colts were intercepted four times and we scored 16 points.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well since U never experienced the thrill of saying your team is the world champions IMHO you are just another NYJ fan lost in the NYJ wilderness of never winning a SB or seeing a special player play. Hopefully your time will come & then you will better understand what it is like to be a fan of the team that won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

4. Mantana Soss

While the Rangers and Yankees are not the Jets, of course, I'd like to think I have a decent idea of what it does/will feel like.

5. championjets69

It probably is very different in FB as was the Brooklyn Dodgers win over the NYYs in 57. You have to take into considerable the upstart AFL & the stogy established NFL. This was more then one game you can equate it to David slaying Goliath. You do realize that the NYJs were 18 or so points underdogs & you could get 100 to 1 odds on a straight up bet? Otherwise I'm done debating this with U since it will go nowhere on other side

6. Mantana Soss

I wholeheartedly understand that SB3 was an epic, historic victory.

I'm just trying to make the point that Namath played a role, he was part of a team, he didn't win the game himself, not by a long shot.

But, he was the charismatic face-of-the-franchise, so he gets extra credit.

7. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

Excellent example

8. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

1960s decade leaders, completion percentage (minimum 1500 attempts)

NFL
    Bart Starr, 58.9
    Sonny Jurgensen, 56.4
    Johnny Unitas, 55.3

AFL
    Len Dawson, 56.8
    Joe Namath, 50.2
    John Hadl, 49.3

These numbers indicate it was harder to complete passes back then. Jurgensen is widely considered the best pure passer of all time and was considered highly accurate, but that 56.4 number would be mediocre today.

10. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Yes, HIS win.

He was de facto offensive coordinator calling his own plays. Snell wouldn't have gotten the 121 yards if Joe hadn't handed him the rock.

After too many years of crap comments, I think we're at the point where we can in fact consider Joe Namath underrated.

11. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

THIS....
    i am a JETS METS KNICKS fan that has seen 1 World Championship out of any of my teams.back in 1986.

12. championjets69

Sorry IMHO you are just a jealous person since you have not yet experienced the NYJs winning a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. At this moment your real bitch should be with Woody since he has owned the team now for 10 years & in those 10 years him & the personnel he has hired have not been able to accomplish the feat that Wberlin & Weeb accomplished on 01/12/69.

13. championjets69

So take it up with the owners of the teams involved since as they say the buck stops at there desk right?

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Most people under the age of 40 see those Namath interceptions and think he was overrated or flat out sucked.

Most QBs threw more INTs than TDs back then.

Dawson was one exception.

If they played today, Dawson would project to throw 7 or 8 interceptions a season- Ken O'Brien or Neil O'Donnell type numbers.

I like comparing players to their contemporaries and Dawson statistically has Namath beat across the board. However, not many people who saw them play regularly would take Dawson over Namath.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

All these stats are boring. Namath is overrated. He did not win SBIII by himself, thats retarded. Hes a pompous, sickening bastard BUT....Id much rather here that Rex cunt call everyone who is sick of Namath unemployed and a punkass. Gold I tell you

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Explain why he is overrated besides writing nonsensical stuff like, "he didn't win Super Bowl 3 by himself." We all know he did not win that game by himself, so why are you making it out that some of us think that to be the case?

I'm not sure what you meant with that. Are you drunk already? If so, then cool. I'll drink later tonight.

17. jonnyd

Cakes, theres already been a few posts above mine of people saying HE won SB3 and yes HIS championship so Im not sure why you'd be confused by my eluding to that.

As far as your being confused about what Im saying in the "pompous bastard" remarks...ummmm EVERY single time the man is interviewed he brings up SB3. Every single fucking time. Its very similar to Joe Morgan not being able to talk for three minutes without bringing up Johnny fucking Bench or Pete Rose or any other member of his belived big red machine.

I bet you dislike JOe Morgan. Any sane individual would. But you love Joe Namth even though you never saw him play...in an era of football you have zero connection to, simply because he was Jet. Thats silly to me. I dont wear Lou Gehrig jerseys to summer BBQs......but Im a huge Yankee fan

#217 jonnyd, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  18. Mantana Soss

I keep seeing the fact that Joe was recently rated as the 100th best player of all time being thrown out as a positive.

Think about this one: We consider him our face, our greatest player, and he's #100. That's not a good thing.

The guy was the winning quarterback in one of the most infamous and important football games in history, and he's only #100. I think that helps MY argument more than the Pro-Joes.

The best I'm willing to give him is the status of Brett-Favre-of-his-Era.

19. jonnyd

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! He changed the NFL forever!!!! HE won SB3!!!! Yet hes number 100? Fuck that. Hesw not even the best Jet ever.

20. Mantana Soss

The offense as a WHOLE should get limited credit for the win.