Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Idk puck, that wasn't too gangster.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Gotta take it easy on him. Isn't gay bashing ilegal?

Pats, you know it's a waste to send Vito and Guido after that half-wit

#182 Miamipuck, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. IATA

IATA Trolls

I'm just a poor man livign in the ghetto. you can hear the police sirens in the background.

You're fucking dumb as rocks. Nobody has questioned his god damned legacy.

how did the golf match go? did you score a bogey? thats good right? we don't play golf in the ghetto. whats it like to play with balls on a yacht? how are the yankees players?

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

That avatar is smokin' ... Rosa Acosta is so effin' HOTT!!! I would kill my parents to bang her! :breakdance:

5. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

How is this not in the cesspool? Would it pollute the water or something?

8. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

lol at how lame you are.. You couldn't even quote the post correctly...

9. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

You're an idiot. You don't even know what you're talking about. This was a private message he sent me!

#189 rex2009, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wasn't posting this weekend and I'm not going to go through every post but YES I am sick of Namath. I appreciate that he led us to our only SB title and we should always hold him and that team in high regard but I am sick of hearing about SB III b/c I want to actually win another. Enough looking back, let's look forward.

I think my feeling son Joe as a player have been posted enough on here. Again, I appreciate what he did to make us relevant but I do think he was an overrated player mostly due to injuries. I don't think he ever had the chance to be as great as he could have been b/c of those knees but b/c of that he's not in the conversationfor best ever QB and he's really in the HOF based on one game- one incredibly important game but it's still one game.

11. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

No, what is a disgrace is the number of people that jumped on the OP for his view. Besides the fact that he already stated he had been having a bad day and hearing Namath on the radio set him off.
    Many others that have been fans for years, had season tickets in the family since they drafted Namath, sat through the 3-11 seasons at Shea freezing their asses off, etc. But are tired of Namath being the face of the franchise because that means The Jets haven't done anything lately.
    It's funny to me how many of the lynch mob here are new posters with 10-20 posts that feel the need to jump on someone as part of their first action on the forum.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I never thought I would have to defend Namath on a Jets message board, but that's the internet for you. Yea, he doesn't have the stats that other HOFers have, but he is still in there, and so you know there must be a reason. If you never saw him play in his prime, rent some videos and take a look. In addition to his on field achievements (throwing for 4000 yards when most QBs were throwing for 1500), he took the AFL on his shoulders in 1968 and legitimized it, along with all its players. Why doesn't he have the great career stats? Because he played on HORRENDOUS Jets teams. Many years he was the only quality skill player they had, and he would drag himself out there on knees that most of us could barely walk on, and perform. If you ever can watch some of those games, watch when Namath gets sacked. The defensive players invariably reach down and help him back to his feet. That is the respect they had for him - they knew that he created the potential for them to make a lot more money - they knew that he helped make football the big time business it is today. If I was a player, and Namath was talking to me about things football, you bet your ass I would listen. If you never saw him play, just shut your mouth and move on. Joe Willie earned the respect of his fans and peers through his play on the field, and I'm sure thats more important to him than anything.

14. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Bad day or not, maybe 17A should sport Joe and the Fu Manchu as his avatar for 17 days...

[​IMG]

15. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Do fans like this deserve to have their team win a Super Bowl?

16. CaneJet

Joe Namath created today's NFL with his Super Bowl win.

17. CaneJet

I'm having a bad day too and guess what set ME off?

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

HIS Super Bowl win?!

I'm going to back 17A on this one, and I'm not even moody or bitter.

For the sake of disclosure, I am 25 years old. I have no real sense of nostalgia, nor do I care too much about what happened in my relatively abbreviated past.

That being said, I'm pretty sick of Joe Namath and his status as the Face of the Franchise, 41 years after winning Super Bowl III kind of the way Mark Sanchez beat the Chargers last January.

I understand he had gaudy passing numbers, a larger than life personality, and all that jazz. But it was forty freakin' years ago. I have no problem with him roaming the halls at Florham Park like he owns the place, he's entitled to that, but the idol worship has gotta stop, the guy is 67 and thanks to his football career is going senile faster than QB's turn to other WRs after seeing Revis in coverage.

Without the "you had to see him play" automatic response that the old timers throw out there, is it at all possible to consider that he wasn't ALL that great?

Career completion %: 50.1
    Career QB rating: 65.5
    Career TD/INT: 173-220

"Oh but Soss, it was a different era for passing!" O RLY?

Johnny Unitas: 54.5%, 78.2, 290-253
    Sammy Baugh: 56.5%, 72.2, 187-203
    Fran Tarkenton: 57%, 80.4, 342-266
    Len Dawson: 57%, 76.3, 239-183

Is it at all possible to consider that Broadway Joe pulled a glorified Trent Dilfer in our infamous 16-7 victory? He was a surprisingly efficient 17/28 for 206, but the Jets scored ONE touchdown for the game. Snell and Boozer combined for 40 carries, 140 yards. The defense held Morrall and Unitas to 181 yards on 41 pass attempts.

Looks like a good old ground and pound title to me.

I know the guy had a few great years, and some of you will be quick to remind me that he was the first 4000 yard passer (barely, with 4007). He also led the league in attempts and completions that year, so it's not an incredible shock. Should Marino be reveled as the first 5000 yard passer? He threw a LOT more and did so in a hilariously more efficent manner. Namath also had one of the best WRs of his era to throw to. Sauer/Maynard was a dream combo at the time.

I appreciate the guy for putting the Jets on the map, but SB3 and the '68 Jets were a team effort, not a Joe effort. Being the pantyhose wearing face of the franchise should not make him significantly more famous than Hill, Maynard, Sauer, et al.

The guy served his valuable purpose, but he might be the single most overrated football player of all time. Bring it on, boys.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry to say it sounds like very bitter grapes from a NYJ fan that has not yet experienced the thrill of winning a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. JMHO of not just you but anyone that agreed with the OP of this thread

20. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Clinging to the fond memory of something that happened 41 years ago seems like something that would make someone more bitter today than never having experienced it.

For example: you.