Tony Richardson released, expected to return

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Phins Rock, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Sounds like an awful lot of knee jerk reactions going on here. T-Rich is deservedly well loved by fans, teammates and the organization, but this sort of thing happens to dinosaurs. I don't buy the cries over the leadership situation... it hurts, but someone is going to have to step up, and I expect they will. They usually do. And as it's already being rumored, he'll likely be back when we have a chance to re-sign him for cheaper pay. Makes sense. Providing we have a competent player ready to fill his role I think we'll be ok in the long run.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

preface: im not pleased with the move either, that said.

It is impossible to lead when you are on the bench. He could tutor and mentor Conner from the bench, but if T-Rich isn't playing, he can't be in the huddle calming Sanchez down. His leadership role is not there if he isn't playing.

That said I hope he is back in a week, not because I want him to be a leader, but because i want him tutoring Conner, so that Conner's development advances as quickly as possible

4. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

You're obviously not paying attention. Coles will be back for the second game as will Tony. This is a strategic move and gives them more flexibility then being forced to pay both players despite their performance going forward. They don't want to guarantee those contracts since they're not sure they'll be with them for a full season. What's so hard to understand???? Calm down and wait to see who is on the roster for the second game, that will more clearly define the team that the Jets will go to war with.

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

This is crazy. People are going balistic over cutting a part time, very old FB who doesn't play special teams. Oh, the OUTRAGE!

LMAO at anyone who thinks Ryan didn't sign off on this. Tanny doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum or by himself. The entire staff is involved.

ON THE FIELD, this team does not need TR to win games. Now you want to complain about chemistry and leadership? You think you know more than the Jets entire organization knows?

If Sanchez hasn't learned to walk the walk of being a leader on this team, kick out his crutches ands make him walk. If he can't lead without TR, he needs to go. HE is the freakin QB. The leadership HAS to come from him first and foremost. Mangold and Cotch are in their own ways, leaders. So is Tomlinson. The heart and soul has not been ripped out of this team.

What IS important is to have the best 45 active players on the field on game day. TRich doesn't make that cut. Get over it. It's about fielding the best team possible.

Especially without Revis, this team will be good or bad depending on Sanchez. The defense will still be one of the best in the NFL. Maybe not #1, but very good. Sanchez has all the weapons he needs, far more than other young QB's in this league who were drafted much later than he was. Greene, LT, Edwards, Cotch, Holmes, Keller, Connor, two pro bowlers at LT and C.... if this offense can't score without TR, it won't be able to score with him either.

6. jets1988

jets1988 Member

say it ain't so :eek:hmy:
    you will be missed t-rich

7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I really do not like this move what so ever

the only way this can even be tolerable is if it is FOR SURE paving the way for Revis's return

#247 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

What is strategic about it? They aren't going to bring him back. And if they do it makes zero sense. He's been the starting FB all camp and pre-season. Not paying one game check doesn't do anything.

If you really, really think it's about saving one game check you are out of your mind. Revis's fine's alone cover over half of Richardson's salary already.

People are undervaluing leadership. It's not something easily found. Have most of you even played sports or been part of a real team? What would it be like if all the leaders were removed except for one. Then right before you were about to play, that last one was cut, for a fringe player who won't make much of an impact.

I think Sanchez could be a good QB, but now they are stacking against him. The team's already put him in a tough position this past off-season, they then tried to help a little with by adding Brunell, but now they are sending him out there alone. They just lost a huge veteran influence in that locker room, but also in that huddle.

I see all these people arguing in this thread, and almost all of you have nothing substantial to say other than generic lines. I'm not making generic claims or calling people out like a child in this thread, I'm pointing out extremely plausible reasonings and issues. All everything else is are just posts quick to defend or attack with no real substance or valid points.

#248 SuppaMan, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Oh Nooooees!! We cut Richardson!!!

[​IMG]

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I really hope T-Rich is back with the team after Week 1.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tony Richardson released

I just heard about this. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm drink and pissed off. The front office is wrong here.

12. ThunderbirdJet

You have to be shitting me. What do you know about locker room leadership on this team. Nada. Null. Zilch. Zero. You are making claims based on a void of knowledge of locker room leadership. Your position is less quantifiable than the very valid reasons for cutting an aging PT player who was taking up a roster spot.

You think you can quantify what TR meant in the locker room? You think you have a handle on that? You think his absence means some sort of total collapse? LMFAO.

This is Sanchez's offense like it or not, sink or swim. It is what it is. He either stops drawing mustaches on family portraits in coaches offices, or he doesn't. He did that when TR was still on the roster. I guess now he'll start drawing them right on people's faces now. T Rich won't be there to lead him. Sanchez will be lost. So will LT. And Mangold. And of course, that flake Cotchery. Gimme a break.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tony Richardson released

Thunderbird you are out of line here. You can't justify ths. Fuck this

The guy takes a shit, fucks his wife, and sneezes and his team just provided a 1k yard back.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Are you on drugs?????

15. ThunderbirdJet

Hey, I like and respect T Rich as much as anyone. I just think we need that roster spot more than we need an aging part time FB who doesn't play special teams. The bottom line is this. We don't need him on the field to be a better team anymore.

Hard, cold truth, and NFL football is hard and cold. Teams simply can't carry a guy who's primary value is as nebulous as wearing a leadership tag. LT, but primarilly Sanchez have to do that. Someone has to step up, just like when a good player gets injured. Hard. Cold. Heartless. It's the NFL.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Looks like Conner won a starting spot.

Thanks for everything, T-Rich.

17. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Ha Ha this shit is classic.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

sojsojsojsoj

19. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I am miserable. All these guys getting let go. There is no leadership in offense. None. I think the Wilpons own the Jets because they are being so damn cheap. 6-10, here we come!

20. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I guess they REALLY need the money to pay Revis. Because I think on Hard Knocks Mr T said that they only had three backups being paid over minimum and TRich and Coles were two of them.