Tony Richardson released, expected to return

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Phins Rock, Sep 5, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Tony Richardson released

I was able to put up with Leon's asshole wife until tonight. She is so annoying over this. It's like pouring salt in a open wound.

I told her being marries to a NFL player does not make her an expert. I asked her if she was married to a plumber would that make her a expert in plumbing?

He better be back.

2. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Way too many changes.....leery of the season...this is a distracted football team.....

3. nyjetsfan22

nyjetsfan22 Member

I Totally Agree With You!

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I really hope this doesn't signal a rift between Rex and Tannebaum. Rex has been out there saying Richardson was making the team, that the Jets are a physical team with character, etc., and it seems like Tanny just cut the legs out from under Rex.

You'd also think this kills Rex's credibility with the team. He says he wants tough guys with character but the cheesburger guys are here, sullen butter fingers out of shape McKnight is still here and a kickass physical player who's apparently as great a clubhouse leader as anyone ever gets the boot.

5. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

What do Jones, T Rich, Faneca all have in common? They were leaders on the offensive side of the ball.

Care to tell me what the "big picture" is?

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Manish via Twitter:
    No promises, but league source just told me there's solid chance Tony Richardson returns after Wk 1(so $$ won't be guaranteed for yr) #nfl

Truly hope so...

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the proof was in the pudding on this one.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

everything you said is wrong. Every word was incorrect.

Your username makes it all hysterical.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Tony Richardson released

She makes it a lot tougher to rot for Leon as a Seahawk. I can root for dbags on my own team and not give a shit, but he's not on my team any more.

10. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

This is where Mike T not understanding the locker room dynamics will bite him. While only the players on the team and to an extent the coaches truly understand the Jets locker room completely, Tanny is not a football expert. He's great with numbers and analyzing info, but if it's something intangible, it's very tough for him. It's his biggest weakness as a GM.

Letting some leaders go was tough, ultimately the right decision (even if Thomas Jones was the offensive, and possibly the main leader of the team), but some are just huge gambles. Taking that many when you are playing with fire, you are going to burned.

This is also going to hurt his reputation again with players. Even if they bring back Richardson after week one, it will not smooth anything over nor make everything go back to the way it was (even though Richardson would try because he's a complete professional).

If one team in the league was going to carry two FB's this year, it was the Jets. Not only built for it due to the style of offense, but also because Conner can play special teams.

Instead, it would now seem Tannenbaum has gone in direct defiance of the coaching staff with this move.

Lastly, it really can't be sold as cost cutting, because if he talked to Woody Johnson about the implications among other things about Tony Richardson, I highly doubt Woody would've had a major issue with having to guarantee Richardson's salary. It's also not a cash-flow issue, because Woody has a lot of personal money outside of the Jets organization he could use in a bind (for some attempting to use a Revis excuse).

#230 SuppaMan, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  11. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

This post is so stupid it defies description. You need to calm the fuck down. See what the roster looks like going into the second game. That will be the team we'll go to war with. These are strategic moves designed to circumvent having to pay some of these guys guaranteed money.

12. 624

624 Banned

Want to know what else they have in common?

They were all old, expensive, past their prime, and replaceable.

13. ........

........ Trolls

Tony Richardson released

The key word here is 'seem', as in you have no clue whether Rex signed off on it to get someone he wanted off waivers.

14. rex2009

rex2009 Banned

Another post that is so stupid it defies description. You also need to calm the fuck down. See what the roster looks like going into the second game. That will be the team we'll go to war with. These are strategic moves designed to circumvent having to pay some of these guys guaranteed money.

15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

They did this to save money. His salary isn't enough to have an impact on the Revis situation. So it shouldn't have been an issue. They are just being cheap! I'm quickly becoming very pessimistic about how this season is gonna play out for the Jets. Releasing Tony is just one more thing added on to a compilation of things I'm not liking. Don't hate me for saying this though. I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative. I hope the Jets know what they are doing. I'm just not gonna lie. I'm getting nervous.

16. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

If you really think saving one game check for Tony Richardson is what's happening, then you are out of your mind.

The Jets are not so cash-strapped to not be able to afford paying Richardson's full salary.

The stuff you see on Hard Knocks is because they didn't want to pay Kellen $1 million plus this season (understandably..it's also possible the Jets would've kept him at his salary even if he didn't agree to a pay cut) nor pay Coles a full season when he'd likely be cut after Holmes returns from his suspension.

17. franzman9

franzman9 Member

All these moves will eventually help the Jets in the long run. Mike T is clearing out all the old guys and bringing in new young talent. We are keeping a solid team on the field while still being able to keep some room for when the cap eventually returns.

This year may or may not be our year, but the way Mike T is setting up this franchise, we will be serious contenders for years to come!

18. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

Richardson was a one year deal. Any contract that would effect the cap and the team going forward wasn't a point of contention among anyone. All the stuff you are hearing about were players on one year deals.

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Way to substantively address the points in my post!

Thank god everything is fine.

20. JW69

JW69 New Member

Can't say anything that hasn't been said already. I am seriously dissapointed. This is a serious character guy you need on a team. Playing bs with guranteed mony is such crap. Connor will be ok on the field but Richardson is someone the younger guys can't replace the team presence.