Tony Richardson released, expected to return

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Phins Rock, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

With 45 man rosters on game day, the Jets don't have room for two fullbacks. And with 1:45 on the clock and the Jets down by a score, Richardson is not on the field. The leadership has to come from somewhere else. The man was 37 years old. You can't keep players forever just for their leadership ability.

And freeing up $800,000 has nothing to do with Revis. The gap would still be $39,200,000. The Jets are not freeing up money at the last minute to sign Revis. Prepare for life without Revis.

Cutting Richardson makes the Jets no different from other teams. Players - veterans - are cut all the time. Remember Lawyer Malloy being cut by the Pats in 2001. It was the end of the world. They just went on to win the Super Bowl that year. You can't keep players solely for their leadership ability if another player - Conner - is better. That is all that happened and the Jets don't need two blocking fullbacks.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

But last year we had a vet proven healthy halfback, a proven successful healthy second back, and a young 2nd round pick that the FO was excited about.

Im not sure where you were going with that ?

Think he was saying that since our ground game is far more questionable this year than last and much thinner on depth that having 2 fullbacks would be more important than ever

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

other than the grim outlook regarding Revis(I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet)....I agree with this post.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. Shonn Greene was a third round pick.

2. You may not be sure where I was going with that post, but I'm sure you don't know shit about football.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

hmm ok I fail, for some reason I thought we traded up to the second round for him.

But eitherway we had more depth at the hb position that year than we do now.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We definitely did, but Richardson wouldn't be an effective ball carrier...so carrying two fullbacks doesn't matter much.

We're just going to have to pass the ball a little more this season.

I was hoping Richardson would stay around just because he was an excellent mentor and a big time leader in the locker room. It's looking like he'll be back after Week 1, so this isn't that big of a deal.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. I was getting tired of some of the lame concerns expressed on this board, particularly since the move was made with the expectation of bringing him back. This is a business first, capped or un-capped year you don't pay more than you have to. Building a team that gets strengthen every year through the draft, and not get too hanged up on the leadership bit is also key. When you are over your prime you are always at risk. In the end guys like Mangold, Sanchez, LT, Taylor and Leonard can take on the leadership role role.

8. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

This is a terrible move. The guy is THE leader of the team. He and TJ were the biggest leaders last season and they're both gone. This team is going to have chemistry issues, and we just released the glue that could have kept it all together.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Oh no doubt that Trich wouldnt be taking carries. But if you had Trich and the terminator, then Connor would be free and fresh enough to take some carries if the need arises. Connor never got many carries in college but he had a solid avg and never fumbled the ball once in his 80 + touches

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

We did alright last year with TJ (up in age), Greene (rookie), Leon (missed more than half the season and never had more than 100 carries besides his rookie year), Richardson (waaaaaaaaay up in age), and in spot-duty, Woodhead (possible leprechaun).

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

what a fucking disgraceful move.

We failed to reach the superbowl because our secondary was the equivalent to swiss cheese...it WASN'T the offense's fault.

Then what do these clowns do? Get rid of Jones, Faneca, Feely, and now T rich for what?! WTF was this necessary?

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Leader of the offense maybe. Def not leader of the team. This is a defense first team, and Scott and to a lesser extent Big Jenks are definitely the leaders of it.

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7zo1BvvA4[/YOUTUBE]

14. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

All jokes aside...

I would've preferred Richardson start the season and give way to Conner, or Conner learn under TRich for a season.

But it's a business folks...I'm sure Parcells,Cowher,Belichick,Walsh and others have NEVER had to make tough decisions.

Fans are mad right now...But this will blow over.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I just hope we don't get punked 24-7 the first week of the season making all these skimp moves to get around a few pennies of guaranteed salary in an uncapped year.

Too bad we don't have the best player of the defense...and yeah the offense is pretty lacking in leadership other than D-Woody I suppose.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Jones had a large roster bonus for this year. He was never going to play for the Jets unless he restructured his contract.

Faneca couldn't pass block anyone.

Feely wanted a lot of money for a kicker. How many kicks did his miss in the playoffs?

TRich is a 38 year old fullback who may be a team leader but we just drafted his replacement.

Tannenbaum is looking at the big picture. Remember when the Jets just kept giving more money to their own aging players and it wound up putting them in cap hell? Have some confidence in Tannenbaum.

17. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

This is fucking bullshit!! They better pick up someone good!!

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:lol: Nice man.

19. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Manish: No promises, but league source just told me there's solid chance Tony Richardson returns after Wk 1(so $$ won't be guaranteed for yr) #nfl

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thank you TRich, the warrior.

Undefeated for over 16 straight years. The heart and soul of what the NFL means to all of us. True Grit.

You would not have it any other way. A warrior never 'retires'. A true warrier dies in the Cosileum at the hands of a younger, stronger, faster gladiator.

Deep down we know you will not be back.

Enjoy your time in the sun.

Well deserved sir.

Well deserved.