The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

If the guy holds out for the whole season. We trade him to the highest bidder and let him take his greedy carcas somewhere else.

This game is a team sport its not about individuals , do we need revis ...yes are we dead without him..hell no. Right so fuck him, if he doesn't turn up lets prove his ass wrong

Now lets go get a fucking snack!

2. deef

deef Member

Hahaha :rofl: good reference there. Everyone should end arguments that way

3. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Chances are equally good that a new CBA, which will probably also include an extended regular season and thus perhaps larger active rosters, will have a substantially higher cap than what we've had the last few years. Not to mention that if this were a serious concern, they wouldn't even have to worry about the cap at all if they paid a large portion of the contract up front, like Revis wants. A large signing bonus is great as far as cap management, and its certainly one of Revis's top priorities. The only person who can possibly have issue with it is the guy signing the checks.

Not that I don't think there's ample reasons for Revis to cave. I keep wondering if he factored into his contract decisions the incredible life experience he missed by not being there for Hard Knocks. Although his miraculous return to the squad would make a great final episode.

4. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

In this thread.

[​IMG]

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

The only problem with that is Revis has proved his willingness to hold out and hurt the team. If you give him most of the money up front in this deal, then 3-4 years down the road, when he is only making 6.5 million dollars, he will hold the Jets hostage again. Thats why the revis deal has to have slowly increasing salaries, with decreasing amounts of guaranteed money every year. its the only way to protect themselves from another holdout down the road. I would love to see a contract clause where if he holds out before year 8 of the deal (assuming its a 10 year deal) the Jets have the right to recoup all of the bonus money previously paid out to revis, but does anyone really see S&F allowing that in the contract?

6. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

Jets players frustrated by no Revis?

cimini for ESPN:

So as we have said all along- players not happy, but ready to move forward

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

One teammate said some players on the team wish Revis would seek advice from someone outside his circle of confidantes, "someone with a clear mind outside the situation."

This is what we all have been saying.....

8. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

@Adam_Schefter
    Jets need to pay Revis, Vikings paid Favre, hard to imagine any team now trading for T.J. Housh's $7 million-this-year contract.

everyone's chiming in this morning

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

They all say this now. But if the Jets just cave, they will bash the hell out of the Jets for overpaying out their eyes for revis.

10. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Can Grandma Revis play man coverage? Or is she strictly a zone corner? Because if she can, we should make her an offer. I'll bet she'll sign for less than Darrelle.

11. HOI

HOI Active Member

If he's not back by after Week 5 trade his ass before the deadline. Revis sitting out the entire year leaves too much value just sitting around. Get another Cb and a few picks. As much as I had to see it happen I don't think he's going to put on a Jets uni again. His agents are notorious douche bags and he's getting advice from a family member who sat out an entire season.

Even if he comes back say Week 2 or 3 he's not going to be 100% right away. Im not saying he's going to suck but without being at camp or getting any live reps he's going to have some rust.

The way the Jets managment is talking they dont make it sound like we'll see him eventually. When I hear things like "we're prepared to move on without him"...the writing is on the wall.

12. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I really don't care much anymore. I'm typed out. Come back, don't come back, who gives a fuck.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

An in the history of the NFL, how many players have held out an entire season? One. It just happens that the player is Revis' uncle. Revis is not coming back. He is "insulted" that the Jets don't consider him worth twice as much an any other player on the team and essential to their suppossed one year run at the SB.

If I were the Jets, I'd say 10 years $120 million, take it or leave it this weekend and then it is off the table this weekend and we will reassess your value when the next season comes around, whenever that is. If Revis is willing to give away one or two of the best years in his career over this, then he is one dumb person. And after sitting out one or two years, his value will never be the same.

One more thing. Revis knows he will never have a season like last year. It is impossible. If he takes the field this year and gives up some yards and TDs, his value will go down. The problem is that everyone in the NFL, including Tanny and Ryan know this also. So his gambit fails again.

14. jesse33

jesse33 Member

The jets curse is alive. The best player the jets have had in the last 30 years and we can't even get him signed

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

In the first Revis holdout thread, I noted several players who sat out a full season during a contract dispute. I forgot two from the 1985 Bears- Todd Bell and Al Harris. They were starters on the 1984 team and Bell was a real good one.

In addition to those two Bears and Gilbert here are others who sat out a full year due to a contract dispute-
    Mike Merriweather- Pro Bowl linebacker with Steelers, sat out 1988 season
    Bobby Hebert- Saints starting QB in 1989, sat out 1990 season
    Jeris White- started Super Bowl 17 for Washington, sat out 1983 season

John Riggins sat out the 1980 season. We could call it a holdout, although it was officially recognized as a retirement at the time.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The difference is he has a SIGNED contract to play this season & next if there is a season next year.

Look at some of the stars of the league who are in the last year of there of there contract but are out there on the field right now. Brady, P. Manning, Harris. I am sure that Brady/Manning play a more exposed position then DR plays as well

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Drew Coleman has a guaranteed contract this year. What are you talking about?

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

re: post #11055

The Mike Haynes holdout in 1983 should be of particular note here. He was a top flight cornerback with New England from 1976-82. The Patriots couldn't work anything out with him in '83 and then had to trade him. He was sent to the Raiders in November of 1983 via a court ruling. This was after the trade deadline had passed about a month earlier. The Patriots received L.A.'s 1st round selection in 1984 and their 2nd round selection in 1985.

By the way, no matter what that one guy I had beef with will try to tell you, Haynes was a major force in L.A.'s run to the Super Bowl in 1983. He wasn't the #1 reason they won the Super Bowl, of course, but the team allowed, on average, almost 7 less points a game once Haynes joined the lineup.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This situation actually seeped into my dream last night. I remember something about Rex and Revis meeting face to face. I jumped online the moment I woke up, and alas it was just a dream.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

yup......................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.